Did you have your wheel stolen?

outcast00096

@Tim Koffler It's not your fault that your wheel was stolen, obviously, but can I ask why you locked it up outside instead of bringing it in with you and using the trolley?

One of the big advantages for me when deciding on an EUC over competing transportation options was the ability to bring it with me to avoid precisely this situation. 

25 minutes ago, Tim Koffler said:

Where would I report my wheel stolen? Which forum?  My InMotion V8 was stolen 2 nights ago. I locked it up and went in a store for 20 minutes, came back and it was gone.  I was at a loss for what to do so filed a police report.  Suggestions would be great.

Tim

That sucks. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around someone stealing a wheel since the odds seem rather small that a thief would know what a wheel is.

It's never occurred to be to get a lock for my wheel because I always take it with me, even in a store (that's where the trolley handle come in to play).

Good luck, but I'm afraid you will probably never see it again :( Although this Forum is big, I think it represent a minority of the people who ride wheels.

I have ridden one for 3 years and love using the handle to keep it by my side. I have been trying to break away from always having it and trying to lock it up when I go shopping or what not just so I don't have my hands full.  And I thought that by locking it the chance of me leaning it somewhere and someone taking it was safer.    The dumb thing is that I even planted a Trackr on it but apparently it's not working anymore.   So pissed!

1 minute ago, Tim Koffler said:

I have ridden one for 3 years and love using the handle to keep it by my side. I have been trying to break away from always having it and trying to lock it up when I go shopping or what not just so I don't have my hands full.  And I thought that by locking it the chance of me leaning it somewhere and someone taking it was safer.    The dumb thing is that I even planted a Trackr on it but apparently it's not working anymore.   So pissed!

I have been tempted when going into a crowded place to leave the wheel somewhere it wouldn't be so visible out of a desire to avoid the 20 questions that come with being in public with the wheel.  I'm not even comfortable leaving it near the entrance of a store, probably because I'm new and the novelty factor is still fresh.  I imagine if I'd been riding for years that my guard would gradually lower. 

Marty makes a good observation about our online community here being a small percentage of the total number of riders.

34 minutes ago, Tim Koffler said:

Where would I report my wheel stolen? Which forum?  My InMotion V8 was stolen 2 nights ago. I locked it up and went in a store for 20 minutes, came back and it was gone.  I was at a loss for what to do so filed a police report.  Suggestions would be great.

Tim

How did you lock up your wheel? 

56 minutes ago, Tim Koffler said:

Tim

Sorry to hear that.  Out of curiosity  How was it locked up? (chain, cable, bike "U" lock) to what was it locked? To what part of the wheel was the lock attached?  How did they relieve you of it? (broke other thing, cut lock, stole wheel and other thing, etc).  Curious, because I've wondered about locking up a 16s and the only thing is the handle, which could be broken quite easily by the sub-humans who do this sort of thing.  Of course, the handle makes it so easy to take inside.  I'll never again own a wheel without a handle (except the one I still have ).

Good luck.

Anything shiny or has a lock on it for that matter likely has some value so these thieves are willing to steal anything not bolted down or protected.  I would print out some info sheets with the photo of the wheel to give out to all the pawn shops / second hand stores in the area.  There's a few Seattle riders on the forums.  @kasenutty  @stevenvo @Jeffrey Scott Will @JimB @525rider @pentachen @SeattleAbarth @RideMc @Anthony S @Coinbot @blindjoedeath @WilliamG @Lukeyeeb @Eric Jorgensen @Jeggy @Bryan Wells @Switchface @Solowheel Seattle @Chrispy keep an eye out!

• 4 weeks later...

This is my way of preventing/deterring theft of my wheel. I glue a vibration alarm on my KingSong 16. Once it's on, whenever someone touches it, the alarm will sound. Of course, my KS has to be within a distance where I can hear the alarm. So far, it makes me feel secure of its whereabouts.

2 hours ago, scubadragosan said:

This is my way of preventing/deterring theft of my wheel. I glue a vibration alarm on my KingSong 16. Once it's on, whenever someone touches it, the alarm will sound. Of course, my KS has to be within a distance where I can hear the alarm. So far, it makes me feel secure of its whereabouts.

Intriguing. Do you have a web link to this device?

4 hours ago, Thinking Monkey said:

I use a Doberman Bag Protector Alert when I pop to the shops or pub.

http://www.dobermanproducts.com/products/se_0304.html

se0304_150.png

That's interesting. How do you attach it?  I found this on their website.

http://www.dobermanproducts.com/products/se_0210.html

it sticks on and is usb rechargeable.  It would fit nicely under the handle on both my wheels.

Archived