Tesla vs. my other unicycles

So today after "may be" having solved my charging problems I spend my first 15 kms on my brand new Tesla.

It was a fine but quite windy day, I had pumped up my tires to 43 psi for this first ride and I had recalibrated my Tesla, so the pedals are about 2 or 3 degrees tilted back, which I prefer with all my unicycles, since it gives me a feeling of more security and confidence when speeding up and cruising with higher speeds. It's just a slight adjustment however, nothing dramatic. 

I own and ride a Ninebot E+ (on which I learned), a KS16, an ACM (820Wh), and the MSuper V3s+ (which I ride most of the time).

Now here is my first impression of my new Tesla:

First of all: It looks really beautiful and shiny for a Gotway, I love the looks, but there is still room for improvement. The front with all the switches and charging ports looks ugly and they could have made it nicer with a simple bonnet like cover. The rear and side view however is rather beautiful.

2. It's very agile and responsive and it rides much more stable than my ACM. Is it as stable as the MSuper V3s+? So far I think not! And this is because today was a very windy day. I once got blown off my Ninebot E+ on a day like this in the mountains, and it was not pleasant! It seemed as if  one of our mountain gods and spirits was making fun of me, blowing me off my path and I though I heard them all laughing when I landed in the ditch next to a rice field. So even now my MSuper keeps impressing me, how stable it behaves even in the strongest winds. If you consider the wind, the Tesla is not as stable as the MSuper I thought after this short 14 km trip in high winds. So the Tesla is very, very stable and solid, but the MSuper is rock solid.

3. The Tesla has lots of power and rides very smooth.

4. The battery was down to 80% (6 of 8 indicator lights) after my first 14 km. That was a bit disappointing, since I am used to riding my MSuper the whole week without charging and I never ever got down to 60% at the end of the week. I once rode the distance from Hikone to Nagahama and back, which is about 62 km and I still had 50% battery left. But for everyday cruising and commuting the Tesla should still have sufficient range. You just have to charge it every day. So no big deal.

5. Now when I got home and wanted to charge it, I had the same problem that I thought I had solved: The Tesla did not charge!

I disconnected all cables again, reconnected them - green light! it did not charge.

I disconnected all cables a second time, tested the batteries individually - green light! Both batteries did not charge, as they did, when I remedied this problem before.

I reconnected everything again, tried to charge again - green light! The Tesla didn't want to charge.

I switched the Tesla on to check the battery level (6 indicators). Just out of curiosity, I connected the charger with the Tesla switched on - RED light! It started to charge. 

I switched it off - Still RED light! It continued to charge and it is charging now.

Since I have no idea of electronics, this behavior seems kind of magical to me and I have no idea, why it charges and why it didn't charge before. I will keep an eye on it. May be one of you has a reasonable explanation.

Summary:

1. The Tesla is definitely superior to the ACM, that I own.

2. For off-road riding, long distance cruises and stability on windy days, the MSuper V3s+ plus is second to none of the wheels I own and (for now)  it is in my opinion superior to the Tesla.

3. However, if I could have only one wheel, I probably whould choose the TESLA. It is stable, powerful, agile, great for performing tricks, looks beautiful and offers sufficient range for commuting.

4. But since I can have both, I will use the MSuper for touring and off-road mountain trips. I have been in the deepest woods with it where I am almost sure the Tesla could not follow ... BUT I will use the Tesla on rainy days and in urban surroundings and especially at night to show off with its beauty. It doesn't challenge my friends with their flashy fascinating V8s, but it's faster, lol!

That's it for a first impression of the TESLA after a 14 km ride. (To be continued)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Likewise, with my Tesla, I

·         prefer to set the footrests tilted a little more backwards compared to default, as the default forward pitch make me feel like falling forward

·         am not surprised the MSuper V3 1600Wh being steadier in the wind coz its 3 kg heavier than Tesla, plus 18 inch being a bigger gyroscopic wheel compared to a 16 incher

·         miss the power-cut button under the handle of the V8 … so convenient

·         will be swapping out the stock pedals for MSuper V3s coz I believe with narrower pedals, I won’t scrap the pedals while cornering so often

·         would prefer an 18-incher for effortless high-speed cruise but with effort, Tesla can get the same job done at the same speed

21 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

So today after "may be" having solved my charging problems I spend my first 15 kms on my brand new Tesla.

It was a fine but quite windy day, I had pumped up my tires to 43 psi for this first ride and I had recalibrated my Tesla, so the pedals are about 2 or 3 degrees tilted back, which I prefer with all my unicycles, since it gives me a feeling of more security and confidence when speeding up and cruising with higher speeds. It's just a slight adjustment however, nothing dramatic. 

I own and ride a Ninebot E+ (on which I learned), a KS16, an ACM (820Wh), and the MSuper V3s+ (which I ride most of the time).

Now here is my first impression of my new Tesla:

First of all: It looks really beautiful and shiny for a Gotway, I love the looks, but there is still room for improvement. The front with all the switches and charging ports looks ugly and they could have made it nicer with a simple bonnet like cover. The rear and side view however is rather beautiful.

2. It's very agile and responsive and it rides much more stable than my ACM. Is it as stable as the MSuper V3s+? So far I think not! And this is because today was a very windy day. I once got blown off my Ninebot E+ on a day like this in the mountains, and it was not pleasant! It seemed as if  one of our mountain gods and spirits was making fun of me, blowing me off my path and I though I heard them all laughing when I landed in the ditch next to a rice field. So even now my MSuper keeps impressing me, how stable it behaves even in the strongest winds. If you consider the wind, the Tesla is not as stable as the MSuper I thought after this short 14 km trip in high winds. So the Tesla is very, very stable and solid, but the MSuper is rock solid.

3. The Tesla has lots of power and rides very smooth.

4. The battery was down to 80% (6 of 8 indicator lights) after my first 14 km. That was a bit disappointing, since I am used to riding my MSuper the whole week without charging and I never ever got down to 60% at the end of the week. I once rode the distance from Hikone to Nagahama and back, which is about 62 km and I still had 50% battery left. But for everyday cruising and commuting the Tesla should still have sufficient range. You just have to charge it every day. So no big deal.

5. Now when I got home and wanted to charge it, I had the same problem that I thought I had solved: The Tesla did not charge!

I disconnected all cables again, reconnected them - green light! it did not charge.

I disconnected all cables a second time, tested the batteries individually - green light! Both batteries did not charge, as they did, when I remedied this problem before.

I reconnected everything again, tried to charge again - green light! The Tesla didn't want to charge.

I switched the Tesla on to check the battery level (6 indicators). Just out of curiosity, I connected the charger with the Tesla switched on - RED light! It started to charge. 

I switched it off - Still RED light! It continued to charge and it is charging now.

Since I have no idea of electronics, this behavior seems kind of magical to me and I have no idea, why it charges and why it didn't charge before. I will keep an eye on it. May be one of you has a reasonable explanation.

Summary:

1. The Tesla is definitely superior to the ACM, that I own.

2. For off-road riding, long distance cruises and stability on windy days, the MSuper V3s+ plus is second to none of the wheels I own and (for now)  it is in my opinion superior to the Tesla.

3. However, if I could have only one wheel, I probably whould choose the TESLA. It is stable, powerful, agile, great for performing tricks, looks beautiful and offers sufficient range for commuting.

4. But since I can have both, I will use the MSuper for touring and off-road mountain trips. I have been in the deepest woods with it where I am almost sure the Tesla could not follow ... BUT I will use the Tesla on rainy days and in urban surroundings and especially at night to show off with its beauty. It doesn't challenge my friends with their flashy fascinating V8s, but it's faster, lol!

That's it for a first impression of the TESLA after a 14 km ride. (To be continued)

Very strange charging behavior that you've been experiencing, but at least you can find a way to charge it.

Agreed, on very windy days the heavier wheels are best. The Monster is impervious to all wind :D

And I think I agree with you regarding usage. I don't anticipate taking the Tesla into the mountains - it's too pretty. Instead I'll take the MSuper or ACM, both of which are tanks (and have much better battery range). The Tesla looks to be a great road machine.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:
23 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Very strange charging behavior that you've been experiencing, but at least you can find a way to charge it.

Agreed, on very windy days the heavier wheels are best. The Monster is impervious to all wind :D

And I think I agree with you regarding usage. I don't anticipate taking the Tesla into the mountains - it's too pretty. Instead I'll take the MSuper or ACM, both of which are tanks (and have much better battery range). The Tesla looks to be a great road machine.

Now today, I had my second ride and my feed got a bit used to the stone hard "cushion" pad. The smooth acceleration and stability of the Tesla especially at higher speeds is really impressive. And yes! It is too pretty for the deep mountains. After I came back from an hour ride  with my feet and legs hurting, I had to get on my MSuper for a direct comparison. It was so soft and felt so kind (like the SUV feels after you drove the sports car). My feed and legs were so comfortable suddenly, I had to go for another hour ride with the MSuper. I am happy to have them both and still love the ACM.

Now charging the Tesla a third time:

Another new surprise. Of course it didn't charge by just connecting it to the charger, as all the others do. Well, that much I had expected. So I switched it on as I did yesterday and connected the charger than. Green light! Surprise! It didn't want to charge. I repeated that a couple of times. The same result. So just switching it on before connecting the charger cable does not do the trick anymore. Now I connected the App as well. No success. Just out of curiosity, I used the same "other" charger the one that came with my MSuper V3 and look what happens: The Tesla charges. Yesterday it charged with the Tesla charger, today with the one of my MSuper. Needless to say that the "Tesla" charger, that refused to charge my Tesla today, charged it yesterday perfectly and is now charging my MSuper without any problems.

This is just so strange, and I have no idea what could cause this behavior. I am afraid in a few days I am running out of new charging rituals ... Lol. It might be the charging socket, as you suggested in the first place, but I have no idea how to get to it with the Tesla. And the charging port feels pretty firm not loose and once it charges you can shake the wheel and pull slightly on the charger cable, it keeps charging. No flickering of the charger light, nothing unusual. So I have no clue what causes this phenomena. May be there's a ghost in the shell.

Let's see what happens tomorrow. Any input is highly welcome! I will keep you updated.

2 minutes ago, Meng Yang said:

@Toshio Uemura If you like the soft feel, why not set the Tesla to "Leisure" mode?

Sorry, I could not make clear what I meant. I am a foreigner and my English is lousy. With "soft feel" I did not mean the riding modes. I like all of them and I change modes during my rides quite a lot to fit my riding situation. What I meant with soft feel is the comfort of the cushion pads of the MSuper V3 compared to the "cushion" pads of the Tesla. I thing the trick is not to touch them at all when riding or even replace them with some soft foam. But I will first try getting used to them. This wooden hardness of the pads might have some purpose that I may not have discovered yet. The pads allow for precise steering but still it's a bit S/M, with the Tesla taking the Sado part.

45 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Sorry, I could not make clear what I meant. I am a foreigner and my English is lousy. With "soft feel" I did not mean the riding modes. I like all of them and I change modes during my rides quite a lot to fit my riding situation. What I meant with soft feel is the comfort of the cushion pads of the MSuper V3 compared to the "cushion" pads of the Tesla. I thing the trick is not to touch them at all when riding or even replace them with some soft foam. But I will first try getting used to them. This wooden hardness of the pads might have some purpose that I may not have discovered yet. The pads allow for precise steering but still it's a bit S/M, with the Tesla taking the Sado part.

I felt just the same the first 4 days of riding my tesla, then the feeling suddenly disappeared. I guess for me it was just a matter of getting used to the wheel. At first I felt like the pads was hard as rock and really hurt my legs. Now after a couple of more riding sessions I don't feel it at all. Have faith, it will get better - and fast. Now I can even ride on one leg without problems.

2 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

I've used this foam on my wheels. Cut, then remove and stick. While it isn't soft like the MSuper, it is much softer and pliable than hard plastic, and the grip on this is superb.

Seattle Sports 1/2" Bulk Foam with Adhesive, Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MC9DNGA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_zKUeAbKY0PRHS

2 hours ago, zege said:

I felt just the same the first 4 days of riding my tesla, then the feeling suddenly disappeared. I guess for me it was just a matter of getting used to the wheel. At first I felt like the pads was hard as rock and really hurt my legs. Now after a couple of more riding sessions I don't feel it at all. Have faith, it will get better - and fast. Now I can even ride on one leg without problems.

Thank you. That is very encouraging. And I already noticed the second ride was more comfortable than the first. So I am happy you gave me a glance of my future. 

But my main "problem" is this strange charging issue. At least my Tesla charges at all, even though it takes some unknown ritual. This gives it some kind of personality. I started calling it my Woodoo-Tesla. Lol.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I've used this foam on my wheels. Cut, then remove and stick. While it isn't soft like the MSuper, it is much softer and pliable than hard plastic, and the grip on this is superb.

Seattle Sports 1/2" Bulk Foam with Adhesive, Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MC9DNGA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_zKUeAbKY0PRHS

Thank you for the link. Much appreciated.

6 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Your English is fantastic!

I also think that the padding on the Tesla is too hard. For now, I'm sticking some 1-inch soft foam in the bottom of my pants to protect my shin. Helps a lot.

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

If your chargers are the same 84V, you could try testing your Tesla charger on your Msuper to see if the charger is defective.  Contact your seller to see if they can send a replacement if that is the case.

They are the same and this is actually what I did, with the result that my MSuper can be charged with both chargers at any given time. So there is no problem with both chargers. The Tesla however could be charged the first time on the original charger. A day later that did not work anymore, as described above, BUT the MSuper charger worked this time and allowed me to charge the tesla. That is what I call Woodoo behavior. The Tesla is fully charged right now. So let's see what it wants me to do next time. Both chargers are clearly marked, so there is no way to accidentally mix them up. They both have the same 4 pin holes and the same specs. And they both can be used for the MSuper. 

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Your English is fantastic!

I also think that the padding on the Tesla is too hard. For now, I'm sticking some 1-inch soft foam in the bottom of my pants to protect my shin. Helps a lot.

Thank you! Great idea. I probably try this trick with some leg warmers. Might look a bit more fashionable ?. I am sooo vain ...! ?

1 minute ago, Smoother said:

Wow that's a great way to use the handle, so cool. Stupid me, I've  been coming to a stop THEN pulling the handle out ?  You've taught me something. 

Good luck with your charging rituals and the Voodoo Tesla

Thanks! Yes, it's quite impressive at any station you get on and off, especially when it's crowded. People usually have more impressed looks on their faces, when you get on and off like that. It makes them also feel safer, because they imediately and subconsciously understand, you are in control of that thing, you are the master of your e-Horse. It's worth practicing these simple things. That's why I posted it (not only to show off ... ? )

36 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

I'll have to experiment with that technique, but with my luck I would twist the handle off :cry2:

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I'll have to experiment with that technique, but with my luck I would twist the hand off :cry2:

It's not as difficult as it may look, but it helps being left handed and getting on with your right foot first. I am sure you will master it soon. You are a very experienced rider. And it shows, how wonderfully smooth and balanced the Tesla handle actually is. I am still working on something similar with the MSuper, but that might need a backward flip or something ...?

16 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Still practicing ... ?  At least not a single scratch (yet!) on my beautiful shiny Woodoo-Tesla so far.?

Me too! So far I have yet to drop the Tesla. I'm going to wait until it's scratched before I take it into the mountains.

3 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I'm surrounded by people who can't write English as well as you can.

The world is in decay, is it nodd! ? With the exception of EUCs ... ?

Archived