My Tesla Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Very cool Marty, yes the Tesla is wonderful. Very cool you are loving it!

I’m curious what your opinion is off road with it? The compact low center of gravity of the ACM is hard to beat. I’m interested how Mr Tesla does in some rough trail conditions. Let us know..

thanks

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

Very cool Marty, yes the Tesla is wonderful. Very cool you are loving it!

I’m curious what your opinion is off road with it? The compact low center of gravity of the ACM is hard to beat. I’m interested how Mr Tesla does in some rough trail conditions. Let us know..

thanks

I will. Some mountain trail riding is in its future. I have to think it's going to like trails.

1 hour ago, CaptainKBLS said:

As someone said, the shape is very similar to the V8.  So does that make the ride sensitive like the the V8? or Does it still feels solid like the ACM?

It's a much more stable ride then the V8. Probably due to the fact that it's substantially heavier. It's really a different class of wheel than the V8.

1 hour ago, CaptainKBLS said:

As someone said, the shape is very similar to the V8.  So does that make the ride sensitive like the the V8? or Does it still feels solid like the ACM?

@Meng Yang has both. Maybe he can chime in here on how the Tesla compares to the V8

4 minutes ago, Fortaye said:

I just hit refresh on my USPS page like six times.

My tracking number still hasn't been scanned by USPS.

:crying:

Don't you know that a watched pot never boils  :D

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

No Cut-out Worries

Just for you @Hunka Hunka Burning Love, since I sense some worry from you from that recent Asian video. I've be hitting lots of stuff including speed bumps at a slightly jarring speed. Nothing. I feel very confident in this wheel. It's a solid performer.

Thanks for being the Gotway Test Smarty.  :thumbup:  Did you take a look at the inside battery wiring?  I'm hoping mine was a one off issue, but there were several areas at the wire bend exit area where the wire insulation was indented as if you took a fingernail and made a slight impression on the wiring.  Probably not an issue, but maybe with vibration and time it could potentially be.

These wheels are so fresh off the factory line that mine had some red Loctite near the nut that wasn't even dry yet.  Or maybe it's some inferior "Lockytight" substitute as the real stuff sets in 10 minutes and cures in 24 hours?  :blink:  I think my worry-wart might be flaring up... ;)

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Thanks for being the Gotway Test Smarty.  :thumbup:  Did you take a look at the inside battery wiring?  I'm hoping mine was a one off issue, but there were several areas at the wire bend exit area where the wire insulation was indented as if you took a fingernail and made a slight impression on the wiring.  Probably not an issue, but maybe with vibration and time it could potentially be.

These wheels are so fresh off the factory line that mine had some red Loctite near the nut that wasn't even dry yet.  Or maybe it's some inferior "Lockytight" substitute as the real stuff sets in 10 minutes and cures in 24 hours?  :blink:  I think my worry-wart might be flaring up... ;)

I have not opened the wheel yet. I remember your pictures. I kind of feel that since it worked for the first 35 miles, it's probably good for the next 2000. Solid reasoning, right :confused1:

Eventually I'll crack the case, but I guess I'm not a big worrier :efee6b18f3: 

• Upvote 1

Gotway Dance Fixed On My Tesla???

When I was riding tonight, and at a stop while waiting for traffic, I was twirling the wheel back-and-forth while my one foot was on the ground. The wheel turned off (not off-off, but stopped balancing). I had been leaning the wheel over a bit. Wow. That definitely does not happen on my other Gotway wheels.

I just completed some controlled tip over tests. The wheel stops balancing at a much higher angle than the other wheels.

Some of you may recall seeing a recent video that I filmed for our golfing buddy who wanted to know if he could lay the Mten3 down on its side safely while on. My Mten3 did what I suspected it would, it spun the tire sometimes as it was laid down.

I talked to @Jason McNeil about this and he said Gotway was going to change it. My wheel was made in the end of September. I wonder if they all behave this way. Maybe @Hunka Hunka Burning Love can test his wheel to see if it stops balancing before the wheel gets at all close to the ground.

So maybe the Gotway dance is a thing of the past finally?

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I just tested mine, and yep the balancing does shut down at about 60-70° I'm estimating.  That was with me slowly laying it over.  I wonder how fast though that angle detection shut off works?  In the Gotway America video it seems to thrash only if the tire catches the ground in certain way.

Edit: Maybe it has to do more with the delay time before shutting down.  If the wheel angle is greater than 60° say for 1.5 seconds then shut down?  Maybe other wheels set a different timer?

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

4 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I just tested mine, and yep the balancing does shut down at about 60-70° I'm estimating.  That was with me slowly laying it over.  I wonder how fast though that angle detection shut off works?  In the Gotway America video it seems to thrash only if the tire catches the ground in certain way.

Well, in any case, it's a big improvement. Guess I'll find out how well it works when I drop it next (mountain riding).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Gotway Dance Fixed On My Tesla???

When I was riding tonight, and at a stop while waiting for traffic, I was twirling the wheel back-and-forth while my one foot was on the ground. The wheel turned off (not off-off, but stopped balancing). I had been leaning the wheel over a bit. Wow. That definitely does not happen on my other Gotway wheels.

I just completed some controlled tip over tests. The wheel stops balancing at a much higher angle than the other wheels.

Some of you may recall seeing a recent video that I filmed for our golfing buddy who wanted to know if he could lay the Mten3 down on its side safely while on. My Mten3 did what I suspected it would, it spun the tire sometimes as it was laid down.

I talked to @Jason McNeil about this and he said Gotway was going to change it. My wheel was made in the end of September. I wonder if they all behave this way. Maybe @Hunka Hunka Burning Love can test his wheel to see if it stops balancing before the wheel gets at all close to the ground.

So maybe the Gotway dance is a thing of the past finally?

Mine shuts down.  There's no dancing!

• Like 1