New i5 user experience

brianle

Wow, that was quick (the shipping). Looking forward to see how it goes for you.

Sorry, can't help too much with your questions.

If the tire feels soft, I'd say pump it up a little. It's not special, just like any regular tire, it's supposed to be hard enough. 50 psi should still work and is in the margins, maybe? You can also ask the seller about this - I'm assuming that would be @Jason McNeil.

The app situation is just how it is with the current manufacturers:efee47c9c8:. Also, it's normal that you can only connect when the wheel is on - just like every other wheel, off is off.

Usually wheels should only beep after they have fallen over, but stop beeping after a few moments, and also not beep or try to balance when you switch them on while sideways. Apparently the IPS i5 does not stop beeping. Well, not a problem, I guess.

Anyways, pad that shiny, hard, pretty shell up and go for it!

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 3

Thanks, @meepmeepmayer!  Talking to ewheels.com (yes, likely Jason) is a great idea. 

I do see one aspect of why folks were skeptical about the IPS i5 as a "first" EUC and to learn with.  I think that having one that's not so thin, and with padding at my inner calves would be nicer for learning.   Just getting used to the motion on tile floor in my basement now, holding on to walls and so forth, my inner calf muscles already feel a little sore from the sudden back-and-forth pressure of the hard body of this unit.   I can't think of any easy "just while learning" padding to install, but maybe I'll come up with something.

Despite a good sense of balance and experience riding a one-wheeled vehicle, it's definitely not as if I can "just get on and ride" --- any such fantasy quickly went out the window.  But bit by bit, I expect I'll gain the needed "body knowledge" to ride it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brianle said:

I got my i5 via FedEx this morning, and found the "new user" experience potentially a little tricky (?), thought I would put this out there and ask a question along the way.

Question first:  A paper insert included with the manual says "Please keep tire pressure between 30-40PSI. With different weight, tire pressure is slightly different."
But in inflating the tire, I can't help but notice prominently on the tire sidewall the text "Min. 50 - Max. 85 P.S.I."
That seems like a bit of a conflict ... for now I've put the tire at 40 psi, which feels a bit soft to my inexperienced touch.   Opinions (or better, data-driven knowledge :-)) would be appreciated on this point.

Okay the slightly tricky things for a new owner of the i5:

Filling the tire is one.  It's not too-o confusing, but key is to know that you need a phillips screwdriver to take off a little plastic piece in order to access the small metal valve piece to pull it up just enough to then attach the included valve stem extension.  My first response was to try to pry it up with my finger or something, but ... no, screwdriver needed.  And it's a little trickier yet to get it aligned to put that plastic piece and screw BACK afterward.

The other thing is the app. They give you a URL to a site that's mostly chinese (which wasn't a problem, just an observation).  You navigate to the "app" page, and then click on either the android or apple icon near the top.  For the android version, what happened was that a .apk file was silently downloaded.  A person needs to know that they then need to install this .apk.   I looked on the google play store and didn't see an IPS app of any sort, so this appears the only way.  I personally prefer to get apps via google play, in hopes that they have maybe vetted them somewhat, but ... not an option.

I had to turn on the power button to get the app to find the EUC, and since I was charging it (with no other way to assess battery level) it was horizontal and so of course started beeping at me because it was powered on and laying down.  But the app connected right away.  And disconnected right away when I turned the power off to stop the beeping.

I had read multiple comments about how easy it is to inadvertently turn on the unit just based on the type and placement of the power button, but in terms of physical interface I have to say that both the tire valve access and the charging port are also both, well, "sub-optimal" insofar as it will be a little tedious accessing either of these.  Especially the power valve --- the screw-on cover is very protective, no doubt, but it's a little fiddly to get the threads lined up to put it back on, and you can't get your finger all the way around it.  Perhaps I'll get a little better at this with too-much practice at it in future.

Via my digital hanging scale I get the weight at 17.3 pounds, about 7.85 kg.   Slightly more than advertised for the 245Wh battery version, but I think par for the course in manufacturer 'slight exaggerations'.  And I should add that my scale hasn't been precisely calibrated, just how I got it from whatever manufacturer.

Now to try to ride it (and in fact, to learn to ride a EUC in general at the same time)  !

Congrat's on receiving the wheel. Expect sore feet/legs, frustration, and then lots of fun :D

Valve access varies among the many wheels. Some have horrible access, others are nice.

I tend to fill my tires to the maximum value listed on the tire (KingSong & Gotway). That being said I have no personal experience with your wheel. Best to try and communicate with other i5 owners.

Apps are what they are - usually horrible :angry:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks @Marty Backe.

I found that just draping a multiply-folded small blanket over the top made a big different in learning to ride, just 'comfort' for tooling around in my basement.  After a few more minutes I can ride now without touching the walls very often.  Going backwards will take a little longer, but that's I think another sort of mental block plus body knowledge thing; I was never all that good at going backwards on my conventional uni either!

Edited by brianle
misspelling
  • Like 3

Let's talk backpacks.  I bought the i5 as a "last mile" device, with the idea in mind that since it's so small and light, I can "bring it in with me" in various settings.  So, depending on the "setting", I think that sometimes having a backpack just big enough for the i5 plus maybe a few small sundries would be good.  And maybe down the road, something a little more "brief-casey" for places that look askance at bringing in backpacks.  but maybe the backpack will be enough.

I had assumed that one of (too) many various backpacks around my house would fit this unit, but not so much --- every day pack of various ilk was too narrow for the about 14-1/4” width of the i5, and some weren’t tall enough for the about 18-1/2” height.  The only backpack I was able to fit it into was a full-on “I’m going backpacking in the woods for days” type of pack, and I don’t see myself wearing that in the city.  So I ultimately looked around and ordered yet-another backpack to add to my collection.  I'll try to remember to report back if what I got ends up being a good fit (and vice versa) for the i5.      Ideal IMO would be one with a decent waist belt, but what I'm getting has one of those more limited "is this really meant to bear any weight?" type of waist belts.  TBD on how this all works.

3 hours ago, brianle said:

I got my i5 via FedEx this morning, and found the "new user" experience potentially a little tricky (?), thought I would put this out there and ask a question along the way.

Question first:  A paper insert included with the manual says "Please keep tire pressure between 30-40PSI. With different weight, tire pressure is slightly different."
But in inflating the tire, I can't help but notice prominently on the tire sidewall the text "Min. 50 - Max. 85 P.S.I."
That seems like a bit of a conflict ... for now I've put the tire at 40 psi, which feels a bit soft to my inexperienced touch.   Opinions (or better, data-driven knowledge :-)) would be appreciated on this point.

Okay the slightly tricky things for a new owner of the i5:

Filling the tire is one.  It's not too-o confusing, but key is to know that you need a phillips screwdriver to take off a little plastic piece in order to access the small metal valve piece to pull it up just enough to then attach the included valve stem extension.  My first response was to try to pry it up with my finger or something, but ... no, screwdriver needed.  And it's a little trickier yet to get it aligned to put that plastic piece and screw BACK afterward.

The other thing is the app. They give you a URL to a site that's mostly chinese (which wasn't a problem, just an observation).  You navigate to the "app" page, and then click on either the android or apple icon near the top.  For the android version, what happened was that a .apk file was silently downloaded.  A person needs to know that they then need to install this .apk.   I looked on the google play store and didn't see an IPS app of any sort, so this appears the only way.  I personally prefer to get apps via google play, in hopes that they have maybe vetted them somewhat, but ... not an option.

I had to turn on the power button to get the app to find the EUC, and since I was charging it (with no other way to assess battery level) it was horizontal and so of course started beeping at me because it was powered on and laying down.  But the app connected right away.  And disconnected right away when I turned the power off to stop the beeping.

I had read multiple comments about how easy it is to inadvertently turn on the unit just based on the type and placement of the power button, but in terms of physical interface I have to say that both the tire valve access and the charging port are also both, well, "sub-optimal" insofar as it will be a little tedious accessing either of these.  Especially the power valve --- the screw-on cover is very protective, no doubt, but it's a little fiddly to get the threads lined up to put it back on, and you can't get your finger all the way around it.  Perhaps I'll get a little better at this with too-much practice at it in future.

Via my digital hanging scale I get the weight at 17.3 pounds, about 7.85 kg.   Slightly more than advertised for the 245Wh battery version, but I think par for the course in manufacturer 'slight exaggerations'.  And I should add that my scale hasn't been precisely calibrated, just how I got it from whatever manufacturer.

Now to try to ride it (and in fact, to learn to ride a EUC in general at the same time)  !

I think the I5 shell is designed so that the left and right side is exactly the same.  This will save their manufacturing cost so that they only need to make one side and can be clamp together to make the whole I5 case.  You will see that the charging port hole on one side is the power button hole on the other side.  This is why the power button is located there.

1 minute ago, hyiu00 said:

This is why the power button is located there.

Yup, the aluminum body is very symmetrical.   But with multiple users complaining that it's easy to accidentally turn on the unit, it would be good in a future model if they address that somehow.  The symmetrical body structure needn't block a solution --- I would be happy, for example, if I had to push-and-hold to power on the unit.  Heck, maybe they could fix that for MY unit via firmware.  Here's hoping.

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@Tilmann posted up a photo of his backpack that he uses.  I can't seem to find the post, but maybe he can show us again what he uses.

Sounds good!   Although where I live we don't have Karstadt or Quelle or, I forget the names of other German retailers!  (hmm, though in fact I have sent gifts to friends via Amazon.de ...)

What I did was just browse through Amazon looking for (honestly) well reviewed packs for which the given dimensions seemed likely to work.   What's needed for the i5 is wider than what's normally offered as a "book/laptop" type of backpack, but with enough searching I found something likely.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, hyiu00 said:

I think the I5 shell is designed so that the left and right side is exactly the same.  This will save their manufacturing cost so that they only need to make one side and can be clamp together to make the whole I5 case.  You will see that the charging port hole on one side is the power button hole on the other side.  This is why the power button is located there.

I'm pretty sure that all wheels are designed that way. At least Gotway and KingSong shells are mirror images of each other.

@brianle Yes, the i5 is too wide for most conventional backpacks. I was just barely able to squeeze it into my Just Porter Rucksack (a very full-size, tall backpack). I had contemplated getting some kind of strap to just wear the i5 like a messenger bag.

And I went above the marked max PSI. You have to, otherwise the wheel will be too soft and be more susceptible to puncturing via pinch flats or rubbing against the tire.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks @steve454, I might just try out the plastic pipe idea.

Ditto thanks @houseofjob --- nice to have my gut feeling confirmed w.r.t. the tire pressue!

That rucksack seems based on the nominal dimensions to not be wide enough, so I understand the "barely able to squeeze in" comment.  FWIW, I ordered this today:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H85NOS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Claimed dimensions are 20" tall, 15" wide, 9.5" deep.  A little bigger overall than I'd like, but hopefully the depth can be reduced with side compression straps.

In terms of suggested tire pressure for the i5, I got a quick response from Jason of eWheels.com, who said:

"the i5 has a unique 1.5" tire, which is comparatively more slender than the standard 2.125" on an Electric Unicycle. To maintain the correct profile, I would suggest starting out at 50psi, see how this works out for you. Have you seen this blog post I made about tires & tire pressure?  

https://www.ewheels.com/guide-tires-appropriate-pressures-electric-unicycle/

"

I can confirm that on smooth (tile) floor, 50 psi feels a lot more reasonable than the 40 psi which is supposed to be the high end of the pressure range according to what I got from IPS.  

So I'll start with 50 --- or maybe on occasion be daring and put in a tad more! --- and then get some more experience with it.

Riding this new toy is already changing from "okay, I can't immediately just get on and ride" to "hey, this is going to be a lot of fun!"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@Tilmann posted up a photo of his backpack that he uses.  I can't seem to find the post, but maybe he can show us again.

Ehhh, unfortunately no. I can show the picture again, but then and now the i5 would just NOT fit into my backpack by just a few centimeters:

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/7842-i5-general-consensus/?do=findComment&comment=107584

The backpack in the picture is a Samsonite, designed for 17-inch Laptops and it is just a tiny bit too small. I didn't bother looking for a larger one, as my i5 typically lives in my car waiting to see the light of day with those last mile opportunities (which are plenty). But I'm optimistic, a trip to any halfway decent luggage store will solve the i5 backpack transportation problem :smartass:

• Like 1

Well... I will tell you my unfortunate experience at this point... I was at a fair in Guangzhou with the EUC last month. I think I got more attention than the stands themselves haha but anyway. Unfortunately enough I got a flat tyre because of some construction stuff lying around I guess, which meant I had to carry it for a half day along. It fitted my carry on luggage though perfectly (the ones they can use on a low-cost airline) and I could still put the leaflets I gathered in. The good thing that I managed to see all fair in 1 day unlike normally have to take all 2-4 days of the fairs to see all.

image.png.e4836d71a5aee1e06bbf2f576ad442c8.png

It is branded Kipling for anyone interested but its quite old luggage now

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe for a narrow tire like on the i5 injecting some Slime can help quite a bit in these types of situations?

Probably would have helped but it was my first flat on an EUC. But I know I miss treated the tyre when it was new with underinflation... so as to speak we will try with the new one and the old one fixed as spare. BTW for anyone who's thinking to fix, a patch might add some vibration but you don't feel it while riding.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Back to the discussion about a backpack that fits the IPS i5 --- I got mine in the mail today, and it's a good fit!

This:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H85NOS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In case that link doesn't work for you, the name of it is "High Sierra Access Laptop Backpack", and I got it from Amazon for just over $50.

A couple of caveats (of course ... !):

(1) The EUC fits in the main compartment only.  In fact, while there's a separate top zipper for access to a laptop, and an interior panel to separate out a laptop, it's really only one space from the top, and only the main compartment is wide enough, and only the main compartment zipper opens wide enough.  Yes, the panel does expand some, and I didn't actually try putting it on the other side of it, but I think it really belongs in the main space in the pack.

Interesting to me is that it just barely fits vertically, whereas I had been more concerned about the width.  But it fits, and with no struggle.
Well, and of course the main compartment will get dirty, especially since the way it fits in is with the wheel down.  Unless I try to somehow line the pack with a big plastic bag or something, but I suspect that would be too much of a hassle.

(2) This pack has one of those sort of minimal waist belts.  With 17.3 pounds of EUC and on occasion perhaps other stuff in there, plus the weight of the pack itself, a real waist belt would be nice.
I can get some load transfer onto my hips from the minimal waist belt on this pack, but at least for me (a relatively long-in-the-torso person), I can only do so by loosening the shoulder straps so much that the pack seems to hang sort of unnaturally low on my back.    So kind of a trade-off there --- to get a long enough pack with a decent waist belt, I would certainly have a pack that was larger, and possibly heavier.   
This pack, btw, weighs 2 pounds 13.2 oz, which is just over 2.8 pounds, or just under 1.3 kg.

Overall it's a nice fit, doesn't stick out (horizontally projecting away from my back) too much, and in basic black it's fairly subtle.  It has multiple other smaller zippered spaces to put things in and keep separate from the EUC.  And a nice comfy grab handle on top.

So --- nothing's perfect, but for a pack to carry the i5, this ain't bad.

• Upvote 2