Gotway MSuper3 - Axle Problem?

Fabris

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you hold the tire stationary with one hand, can you feel any play in the pedal supports if you move them forwards and backwards?  Is there any "stuttering" when moving the wheel forwards or backwards while it is on and balancing?  Hard to tell from that short video, but there could be a loose axle nut?  Maybe check to see if they are snug and that the inserts are not warped.

• 4 months later...

Hi folks, 

well, after some time with the problem, I’m affraid it’s worse now.

Yesterday while I’m riding, the wheel started to shake a lot. I send you the video with the symptom.

How I live in Brazil, we don’t have any support from Gotway.

Does anybody have an ideia what’s happen?! 

Thanks in advance,

Fabricio Reis

F876F94D-69F5-4F71-B059-A40E24B2147C.mp4

Looks like something is mechanically broken. Probably you were right and it's the axle on one side?

I'd suggest you start disassembling the wheel and look if you can see anything. You can't ride it like this anyways, and you'll have to disassemble if you put in a new motor (unless you can get a metal shop to only replace the axle in the existing motor) as well. If you need a new motor, maybe speedyfeet.co.uk can help - Ian has lots of spare parts, currently offers free shipping worldwide (not sure if that applies to parts too) and is generally really helpful. Or maybe ewheels.com/ @Jason McNeil can help.

@Marty Backe Which of your wheel disassembly videos would help most here? Maybe this here (ACM but the principles are the same):

Here's some more info for disassembly. The first point (battery disconnection) applies here too, and it can't hurt to be careful:

Basically, keep the batteries connected while they're not in the wheel, so they have the same voltage.

3 hours ago, Fabris said:

Hi folks, 

well, after some time with the problem, I’m affraid it’s worse now.

Yesterday while I’m riding, the wheel started to shake a lot. I send you the video with the symptom.

How I live in Brazil, we don’t have any support from Gotway.

Does anybody have an ideia what’s happen?! 

Thanks in advance,

Fabricio Reis

F876F94D-69F5-4F71-B059-A40E24B2147C.mp4

It's loose axle nuts.

The video above that @meepmeepmayer posted shows what you would need to do to tighten the nuts. The ACM and MSuper are identical in this regards. If the video doesn't scare you, then you can do it. It'll take a few hours of your time.

Unless you have the most amazing customer service, better than anyone else has ever had, you will have to do this work yourself or find someone that you can pay to do it.

On 11/16/2017 at 10:22 AM, Fabris said:

Dear all, 

please, I've my MSuper3 about 3 months, and I felt there is some problem with the axle. 

I sent the video demonstrates what I'm telling you guys. 

Thanks in advance!

IMG_4314_2.m4v

Hey @Fabris, glad to see you brought the question here . As I said on Facebook and others have said here the axle nuts appear loose . Please don’t take the other peoples Facebook advice of simply tightening them . Remove the motor from the shell and make sure the shins are clamped down and in place fully. @Marty Backe has a great video showing how to do this . It’s not hard work , just a bit time consuming and will also get your feet wet as far as how to break down and rebuild your wheel in the event something else arises . 

19 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Would be good if it's only the nuts and no broken axle.

Where can he get new ones if that's necessary? So far I know only of Jason/ewheels.com who has them?

I doubt that it's a broken axle since the problem started in November but has gotten worse over time.

Speedyfeet sells new motors

9 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I meant new axle shims if the old ones are too bad.

Yes could definitely be some deformation if it’s been ridden while loose . Last I checked Ewheels and green and fashion were the only 2 places I could find that had shims for sale . Being on Brazil I guess he’d have to see which company would be easiest to ship. @Fabris you mentioned you bought the wheel from Chen at green and fashion . Definitely contact him , he seems like a pretty solid guy so I’d bet he will send you some if they do need to be replaced . 

Gotway shims easily worn out if strong acceleration and deceleration are made over time, or over harsh surface. In France, I saw several people bending there pedal supports and deforming the shims giving more play than the natural play on old firmwares. I saw only one loose axle nuts due to a huge deformation of pedals supports which left play for the shims to move...

IMG_2898.JPG

46 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

I don't understand why Gotway hasn't fixed this problem.  

Gotway has made changes which will result in less of this. They can't retroactively change the existing wheels, so loose axle nuts and distorted shims will be seen for a long time to come. I want to dispel the notion that Gotway is not doing anything in this regards.

Here is how the situation has improved over the last 6 plus months. Gotway introduced a steel plate that gets attached to the back of the pedal arms/brackets. The steel plate has a hole that precisely matches the shape of the axle. The steel plate therefore prevents the axle from twisting and distorting the aluminum shims.

Again, this change was rolled out in mid-2017. I would anticipate not seeing reports of axle related problems in the newer wheels.

Here is a picture that I took of a wheel that I'm working on. It shows the steel plates for an ACM. My Tesla and ACM2 has the same plates, and I believe all new Gotway wheels incorporate this. BTW, these plates are rusted because they came from a wheel that had been submerged in water.

IMG_20180404_215402854_HDR

Thanks for that post, Marty.  The axle shim issue has been a pet peeve of mine when considering Gotway wheels and seeing that there's been an effort to improve the problem is a nice sign.  I couldn't understand why they have made the effort to address other issues, but not that one.  

13 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

Thanks for that post, Marty.  The axle shim issue has been a pet peeve of mine when considering Gotway wheels and seeing that there's been an effort to improve the problem is a nice sign.  I couldn't understand why they have made the effort to address other issues, but not that one.  

Right ? It’s nice to see them finally stepping up , though this design has been out for a while now . It’s my understanding that they still haven’t got it dialed in quite the way they want , and that they are still testing diffent ways to address the shim issue . But in the meantime this definitely gives a bit more peace of mind when buying a new GW wheel . 

*now if mine would only arrive * 

2 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Right ? It’s nice to see them finally stepping up , though this design has been out for a while now . It’s my understanding that they still haven’t got it dialed in quite the way they want , and that they are still testing diffent ways to address the shim issue . But in the meantime this definitely gives a bit more peace of mind when buying a new GW wheel . 

*now if mine would only arrive * 

Something US69 has mentioned regarding the new Ninebot Z series is that Ninebot has been out of the high end EUC game and may underestimate how much revision has gone on at KS and Gotway to get to where they are.  For all the criticism Gotway has received over the last, at least they appear to be responsive to feedback.  

10 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

Something US69 has mentioned regarding the new Ninebot Z series is that Ninebot has been out of the high end EUC game and may underestimate how much revision has gone on at KS and Gotway to get to where they are.  For all the criticism Gotway has received over the last, at least they appear to be responsive to feedback.  

Albeit reluctantly responsive. :P

But yeah I agree . When I heard about the newer wheels being rolled out with this extra bracket I was definitely pleased . 

To me the Z Is a big wild card . A Hail Mary by Segway-Ninebot. Given that it has been in development for 2 years now . And the fact that ALOT has changed in the EUC game over said 2 years leaves a lot of questions. I’m still optimistic that it’s going to be a good wheel and have every intention of getting one as of now . That may change as the reviews roll in however.

8 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

A hail mary? They don't even need to sell unicycles. I bet they make all their money on their two wheeled devices. I don't see the Z as any kind of hail mary. 

Not in a monetary sense . A Hail Mary to get back into the EUC game after the failed launch of the P and the not so stellar s1/s2. This will be theadt attempt for them to produce a higher end EUC that people actually want. 

34 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

BS, they could quit making EUC's for two years, and then when they started again, you same folks (and me) would be all in here all excited about it. Tis no hail mary, good sir. 

I must respectfully diasagree good sir! 

If the z is a failure in the same way the P was ...I would never again put faith in a new Segway EUC .

1 hour ago, Scott Henley said:

To me the Z Is a big wild card . A Hail Mary by Segway-Ninebot. Given that it has been in development for 2 years now . And the fact that ALOT has changed in the EUC game over said 2 years leaves a lot of questions.

I would bet a week’s pay that Segway purchased wheels from both GW and KS during the development phase, completely dissected them, evaluated their components, researched their positives and negatives, and probably attended this forum to read member’s thoughts and reviews. 

30 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I would bet a week’s pay that Segway purchased wheels from both GW and KS during the development phase, completely dissected them, evaluated their components, researched their positives and negatives, and probably attended this forum to read member’s thoughts and reviews. 

I would be tempted to take you up on that bet. I think it was Jason that told me that the Chinese are vary insular when it comes to EUCs - they don't much pay attention to what the others are doing.

I wish that wasn't the case and certainly wished that they visited our Forum :(

I bet the Ninebot/Segway likely doesn't have anyone following the forums, but I think the other companies do through their reps that probably pass on pearls of information.  It would be foolish not have have a finger on the pulse of the consumer market to see what people think, want, and hope for.

I hope Gotway starts using those anti-spark connectors like in this photo from @Chronic.  I still don't believe we have a definitive reason why sometimes the battery connector explodes upon reconnection.  @Rehab1 and TremF both have experienced the pop of doom.  Maybe at the factory the battery packs are not fully charged so the voltage potential difference and current isn't as great?  I dunno.

7.thumb.jpg.f117102c52577cc7db46fa9607c5

https://myelectriclifan.blogspot.com/2010/06/pre-charge-resistors.html

6 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

Yes could definitely be some deformation if it’s been ridden while loose . Last I checked Ewheels and green and fashion were the only 2 places I could find that had shims for sale . Being on Brazil I guess he’d have to see which company would be easiest to ship. @Fabris you mentioned you bought the wheel from Chen at green and fashion . Definitely contact him , he seems like a pretty solid guy so I’d bet he will send you some if they do need to be replaced . 

Guys, thanks for all support and tips... As soon as possible, I'll try to fix by myself, by the @Marty Backe post!!

Best Regards

Archived