King Song 18S

mezzanine

2 hours ago, mezzanine said:

I'm observing what might be a battery issue or possibly a charge indicator issue.  I charged last night for a couple of hours and brought the charge from around 60% to 80% and went out for a 4km round trip ride and it's showing my charge level back down to 60%.  That seems like a lot of lost charge for a short trip.  I also noticed a couple nights ago that I charged it for a couple of hours and the charge display didn't change.  I might try setting up the app to see what it shows. 

Try the slow charger.  I think I remember seeing some weird charging behavior from the fast charger.  

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

@mezzanine Nope, that might be totally normal...when you just go for the charge level on the EUC, which is all but not exact! As it only goes in 20% values....so you will never see 5,7 or 9 bars!

At least you have to check with an app that is able to show one percentage steps, do you have android or apple?

It might be for example you brought the wheel just slightly over the edge to show 8 bars...and after this ride it falls back again. Also hills and heavy acceleration might bring your battery further down, and it recovers half an hour later.

Best advice: buy a charge doctor and with that you can check voltage of the wheel and the amount of watthpur you pump in.

BTw. with the standard charger...for every hour you insert only 120wh....Thats is just about 7%!! more load...so nearly nothing on a 1680wh wheel. Also that means that 3hours charging might not even bring the bars from 6 to 8 :-)

You're right, I'm used to the V8 which charges so quickly and I didn't realize about the 20% values.  I remember reading about that, but I looked in the manual and saw the 10 little LEDs and assumed they must 10% bars.  I believe I did exactly what you described in your example by charging barely above 80% and then thinking there had been a rapid drop to 60%. 

I haven't bothered installing the app yet because I've been having fun riding, but I'm going to get around to it. 

I was going to buy a charge doctor, and I still might, but I have found that I've been able to avoid charging past 90% without much inconvenience or conscious effort on my part. 

Seated riding is everything I hoped it would be.  :cheers:

I'm still not good at decelerating, and turning will take some time to get good at, but I at least got a taste for it.  I'm 6'0" tall and wasn't sure whether I would feel cramped up in a ball while seated, but fortunately I don't.  I found it tricky at first to get far enough forward on the seat when sitting.  I forgot a couple of times to slow down before attempting to sit, which I quickly learned is dangerous.  I had to remind myself to lean to accelerate because I was pushing with my toes initially which was fatiguing. 

If a magic genie told me I could ask any question about what will happen in the next five years in EUC development, I'd ask him whether seated riding will become more popular. 

15 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

I'm still not good at decelerating, and turning will take some time to get good at, but I at least got a taste for it.

Sliding your bum on the seat will help.

So will (if you can) leveraging your stiff arm on the seat cushion in front of you to re-position your body [weight] lean (as if you were grabbing the reigns while riding a bull), pushing away to move lean back for decelerations.

15 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

If a magic genie told me I could ask any question about what will happen in the next five years in EUC development, I'd ask him whether seated riding will become more popular. 

Size bias in this community (against bigger wheels) is real, so my guess is no.

But, those of us who enjoy still having sensation in our feet on long rides can't live without seated EUC riding!

3 minutes ago, outcast00096 said:

I've ridden my 18s through countless rains since I've had it because... Oregon. It has never had any trouble. In fact, we've been rained on about a straight week and I've ridden it every day.

With or without seat (rain cover)?

1 hour ago, Meng Yang said:

With or without seat (rain cover)?

This „allegedly“ rain problem of the KS18s is really none!

I also use my 18S in the rain without seat, and there is not one drop gettiing into it. And even if, then there will be a foam protection under the slots. After my 1000km maintenance check i didnt found any trace of water in the board compartment.

Kingsong did a good job on water resistant and proof.

I see perhaps more problems with rainwith the Tesla! Both side walls are only secured by 4 screws...and the side plastik part is pretty much only laying flat on the shell part, with no seal whatsoever. Just flat on flat, and that will not hold up water, rain.

That will not go to the board, which is secured above  in its chamber...but on the left and right side battery chamber water may come in.

Also trough the trolley.

But at all: Thats all very theoretic and doesn’t bother me at all!! We are just talking about some drops at maximum.... :-)

• 1 year later...

I've been undecided about whether to get the KS18s versus the KS18xl; is it just the form factor difference between them or are there significant hardware differences such as motor, batter, motherboard, etc...?

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I've been undecided about whether to get the KS18s versus the KS18xl; is it just the form factor difference between them or are there significant hardware differences such as motor, batter, motherboard, etc...?

The 18S is 67Volt and nominal 1500Watt Motor

the 18Xl is 84 Volt and nominal 2000Watt Motor.

There is a difference between them, mostly it is the shell form factor and time to adjust to riding is higher on 18S.

Powerwise and torquewise is no big difference. 

On 12/28/2018 at 8:52 PM, LanghamP said:

If you don’t have a seated EUC do yourself a favor and get the Ks18s 

On 12/28/2018 at 9:17 PM, US69 said:

The 18S is 67Volt and nominal 1500Watt Motor

the 18Xl is 84 Volt and nominal 2000Watt Motor.

There is a difference between them, mostly it is the shell form factor and time to adjust to riding is higher on 18S.

Powerwise and torquewise is no big difference. 

That's good to know. People seem to make a big deal about the 84v, but both are spec'd at similar top speed and range. 

Do we have any insight into next year's models? The 18L/18XL has me worried they're abandoning this form factor.

7 hours ago, bobpaul said:

That's good to know. People seem to make a big deal about the 84v, but both are spec'd at similar top speed and range. 

Do we have any insight into next year's models? The 18L/18XL has me worried they're abandoning this form factor.

Yes, the "big deal" About the 84Volt is mostly not justified, max Speed is the same, both are powerful, the 18L is perhaps a bit more nimble and more agile, but thats it.

Because of the 18L/XL Impact the chances that the 18S formfactor will get lost is HIGH....as sells are allready low.

I am trying to convice KS to bring a 2000W, 84Volt model with at  least 1036 and/or 1554wh and perhaps even a 1803wh XXL-S Version....

To all interested...please communicate that over your KS-sellers...KS social media plattforms, so that KS not only hears that from my side….

6 hours ago, US69 said:

Yes, the "big deal" About the 84Volt is mostly not justified, max Speed is the same, both are powerful, the 18L is perhaps a bit more nimble and more agile, but thats it.

Because of the 18L/XL Impact the chances that the 18S formfactor will get lost is HIGH....as sells are allready low.

I am trying to convice KS to bring a 2000W, 84Volt model with at  least 1036 and/or 1554wh and perhaps even a 1803wh XXL-S Version....

To all interested...please communicate that over your KS-sellers...KS social media plattforms, so that KS not only hears that from my side….

The only way that tall form factor survives for another iteration is if it competes with the Monster and increases the battery capacity north of 2,000wh. It’s designed for long cruises using the seat. 

6 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

The only way that tall form factor survives for another iteration is if it competes with the Monster and increases the battery capacity north of 2,000wh. It’s designed for long cruises using the seat. 

Maximum fit for the 18S shell would be 1803wh..on a 84 volt system. „north of 2000wh“ is just not possible....

1 hour ago, US69 said:

Maximum fit for the 18S shell would be 1803wh..on a 84 volt system. „north of 2000wh“ is just not possible....

I never said it had to be 84v.... look at ninebot with the “low volt” Z10! All they need to do is change the tire and add more battery. But I imagine changing to a larger wider tire would require a new tall shell design which might allow 84v and 2000+ wh 

Archived