Review of the HJC FG-17 full-face helmet.

I've been riding with this helmet for a few days now; they cost, from Amazon, anywhere between $85 to $300 depending on size and graphics. Since I care little about graphics I bought the cheapest Large I could find, for $104.

Now it used to be, decades ago, the only game in town were the Arai's and Shoei's, and most of the other helmets were pretty bad, but over the past 6 or so years helmets have become uniformly excellent. Now the last HJC helmet I had got rave reviews but it cost a bit, and now this FG-17 is even better.

You look at the paint. It's flawless. The visor is optically perfect. It's scary how perfect all these newer helmets are, and at what costs.

It has both Snell and DOT certification, which simply means it is guaranteed to not exceed a certain amount of peak g's (gravities); DOT measures all but from the front, Snell measures from all including the front. Snell is the better certification but you might want the DOT if you want to go open-faced.

The visor is a bit different from older helmets; it lays quite a bit under the helmet with an always-on lock on the front so during a crash the visor won't easily come open. This is so if you hit the soft ground feet first and face down the visor won't pry open. However, it also means you'll fumble a bit for the latch.

The eyeport is wide, almost but not quite as wide as the Bell 3R.

Again, weight is light, but a bit heavier than the Bell 3R. How much heavier? Maybe twice? The helmet is light enough to not be heavy.

Sealing and loudness is great. I love it. This helmet dampens noise wonderfully; you can still hear but the sound isn't crazy loud.

Now I'm not sure if you'll get even more looks as an EUC is already an odd sight. Certainly it provides far more protection than any bicycle helmet, and something like the MSuper calls out for such a helmet. However, those are not the primary reasons I bought this helmet. This helmet is your one-stop shop for head protection as you do not have to put on goggles and a facemask. You just put on this helmet and go.

Is this helmet appropriate for most of you? I don't know; that's a very personal question. I do feel it's appropriate for the MSuper due to the tremendous speed it generates, and I also ride kinda risky, not speed wise but lean wise.

IMG_20171113_230157.jpg

Thanks for the review. I continue to ponder the purchase of a full face helmet. Choices, choices.

Even this helmet you reviewed. When I go to http://www.revzilla.com there are a million choices with the same part number, and they go substantially more expensive than what you listed.

Another question. Do you find that the vents actually work at the speeds that we ride our wheels. They talk a lot about air being pulled in the front and exhausted out the back because of the Venturi effect. Just wondering if you can feel the venting on your wheel.

Thanks.

There's a few cheap choices, mind you I toss my helmets away after 2-3 years anyway. They are strictly disposable because the polystyrene starts degrading.

HJC FG-17 Thrust Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet (MC-6F, Large) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NLQTDLC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_cb-cAbYC7XA6D

HJC FG-17 Thrust Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet (MC-1F, Large) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NLQSKXE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_2b-cAbQWMCHGS

I did read a small part of this review before buying. However, I'm familiar enough with HJC that I simply picked the slot below full on racer with the confidence that it'd be very good.

The vents do flow noticeable air through the top of the head, but the review complains the chin vent does not. That is actually incorrect; when the shield is down and locked the chin vent functions as a defogger as circulating air would dry out your eyes at higher speeds.

The opened vents are noticeable above 15 mph; since it's winter I keep them closed.

I did earlier mention this helmet is appropriate for just the MSuper, but now I wonder. 14 inchers are pretty crash prone given the same speed of bigger wheels (that is, 18 mph on my KS14c feels ridiculously dangerous yet safe on my MSuper), and so this helmet may be less comfortable but be safer for smaller wheels.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/fg-17/review.htm

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks for the additional info @LanghamP. It's good to know that the vents are functional even on our EUCs.

Decisions, decisions ...

If it helps then consider this:

You do not need a helmet 99.99% of the time time. In fact, since a helmet does nothing, it's inappropriate to wear one.

Then, on the day you'll need the helmet, put it in your backpack. One minute before your crash, take it out of your backpack and carefully put it on, and then do your crash, hoping you'll survive.

This way, you'll get the both of both worlds; the safety of the helmet without the actual aggravation of wearing one.

On 15/11/2017 at 7:18 AM, Marty Backe said:

Thanks for the review. I continue to ponder the purchase of a full face helmet. Choices, choices.

Even this helmet you reviewed. When I go to http://www.revzilla.com there are a million choices with the same part number, and they go substantially more expensive than what you listed.

I saw on youtube you ride your Tesla at 25mph. I would never go that fast without chin protection.

I would go for a downhill mountainbike helmet. A full face motorcycle helmet is HOT!

8 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

I saw on youtube you ride your Tesla at 25mph. I would never go that fast without chin protection.

I would go for a downhill mountainbike helmet. A full face motorcycle helmet is HOT!

Nah, it's OK he'll be fine with an open face. I showed @Marty Backe this link.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/17/magazine/how-to-save-a-knocked-out-tooth.html

20 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Nah, it's OK he'll be fine with an open face. I showed @Marty Backe this link.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/17/magazine/how-to-save-a-knocked-out-tooth.html

I appreciate the sentiment, however I didn't look at the article. I'm at the point in life were I avoid gruesome pictures as much as possible, and I assume that there's some unpleasantness in that link. Plus I have an excellent dental plan? Plus, how many EUC riders actually get their face mashed in? I'm playing the statistics game.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I appreciate the sentiment, however I didn't look at the article. I'm at the point in life were I avoid gruesome pictures as much as possible, and I assume that there's some unpleasantness in that link. Plus I have an excellent dental plan? Plus, how many EUC riders actually get their face mashed in? I'm playing the statistics game.

Actually there is no gruesome pics in there and it is quite and informative article. Quite pleased I read it... Just in case.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2017 at 9:30 AM, Marty Backe said:

Thanks for the additional info @LanghamP. It's good to know that the vents are functional even on our EUCs.

Decisions, decisions ...

Its always hot where you are, I would pick Only from very well vented brands, Bell 3R, MET Parachute or Gyro full face.  I think its time to get one..... lol. I know Im getting one for sure.

Archived