Exploding board?

Tahmid

My mate has a board he doesn't use anymore and asked me if I want it. It's quite old and hasn't got any noticeable problems but I read some articles about hoverboards exploding because of their batteries and I was just looking for an answer for if my mates one will explode I think he's had it for 2 years and it still works

3 hours ago, Tahmid said:

My mate has a board he doesn't use anymore and asked me if I want it. It's quite old and hasn't got any noticeable problems but I read some articles about hoverboards exploding because of their batteries and I was just looking for an answer for if my mates one will explode I think he's had it for 2 years and it still works

The “exploding hoverboard” problem was, in itself, much overstated as it made great headlines in newspapers.

However the main problem was rogue manufacturers getting on the bandwagon a couple of years ago and producing junk, often using recycled old laptop cells of unknown age and state to make the hoverboard batteries and, every bit as dangerous, cheap badly made chargers that didn’t control voltage and current properly. If this one was “junk” it should have caught fire a long time ago if it was going to!

If the hoverboard is two years old and still working it seems extremely unlikely that either the battery or charger is poor as, if so, one or the other or both would have failed by now - not necessarily with a spectacular flame but it is just as likely to simply fail to charge or hold charge.

Bottom line is that the odds are very very high your hoverboard is fine, however, it is always sensible to take precautions when charging Lithium Ion batteries, whether in a hoverboard or just a phone: Do not leave the charger unattended (I.e. do not leave charging indoors overnight) charge, if you can, in a fireproof area, I.e. on a concrete floor (or even in a fire hearth if you have one), or outside. But, above all I wouldn’t worry about it.

Archived