Gotway Tesla Impressions and Diary

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Excellent video demo, @Rehab1

Thanks! I can explain my thought process much easier with video.

I'll likely apply some silicone to add some cushioning later and to act as a grommet in the area.

That would be highly recommended!

If I haven't told you yet a Big Congrats on your new Tesla! Given your weather is not conducive for riding I would risk going to your neighborhood mall and ride around with a big disabled sign plastered to your chest. You just might get a few minutes of riding pleasure out of it.:) 

• Like 2

Thanks for the congrats!  It's a little strange being on Team Gotway now especially since I've been riding only the Ninebot for so long.  The Telsa looks so bulky from the front compared to the Ninebot One.  It's like seeing a Cadillac SUV Escalade parked next to a slim, older Miata.

I'm just distracting myself by examining and tinkering with the Tesla innards so I keep my mind off the fact that it's still -7°C outside, and the snow is sticking around.  :crying:  For what ended up to be $1600 purchase after the USD-CAD conversion, it's likely to be sitting around for a while until the weather clears up enough to ride it.  At least it's working!  :rolleyes:  It was such a long wait since mid-September for it to be delivered that I can only imagine the disappointment if it arrived defective. 

They must really toss these around during shipping.  The wheel has good foam to keep it in the box, but I wonder if shipping ends up knocking something loose or shorting something out.  After seeing a few weak spots inside, I can see that easily happening.  Now imagine riding and having it take a tumble... there are forces that have unpredictable effects on components and wiring.   I can't imagine what it's like building an experimental helicopter and trying to make sure everything is sound as those things really vibrate quite a bit!  There's a lot on the line to make sure things work well.

• Like 1

I use my Tesla's settings for the following purpose:

1. Sport - When I'm all warmed-up and in the mood for quick, responsive action like zig-zagging between obstacles, pedestrians, pendulums, cornering, backwards riding etc. I'd be using this for speeds up to 40 kph. Beyond that, it gets nervous as wheel reacts to every tiny input from my feet - not good for straight line cruise at high speed. As most of my riding is done on sidewalks, this is my favorite mode.
  2. Medium - Everything else in between. I'd use it up to 45 kph before it feels twitchy. This is my go-to mode when some open paths are mixed in with side-walks.
  3. Leisure - This is Tesla's "soft" mode, but it is nothing like MSV3's Soft mode. Footrests dip a bit and reaction time of wheel seems a little delayed compared to modes above, but no big footrests flex. Still very controllable though. Thus, this is my cruising mode for anything up to 50-60 kph. It was still stable at 53 kph but I eased off due to "DDDDD". Because the wheel doesn't react immediately to tiny inputs from your feet, its easy to correct any unwanted inputs and remain in a straight-line cruise without the wobbles that would otherwise cropped up earlier in Sport mode. Its still usable as a slow, zig-zagging wheel, though its not so responsive. Not so fun & not so sharp at slow speed but perfectly usable on sidewalks with pedestrians.
  • Like 2

Thanks for the congrats!  It's a little strange being on Team Gotway now especially since I've been riding only the Ninebot for so long.  The Telsa looks so bulky from the front compared to the Ninebot One.  It's like seeing a Cadillac SUV Escalade parked next to a slim, older Miata.

I'm just distracting myself by examining and tinkering with the Tesla innards so I keep my mind off the fact that it's still -7°C outside, and the snow is sticking around.  :crying:  For what ended up to be $1600 purchase after the USD-CAD conversion, it's likely to be sitting around for a while until the weather clears up enough to ride it.  At least it's working!  :rolleyes:  It was such a long wait since mid-September for it to be delivered that I can only imagine the disappointment if it arrived defective. 

They must really toss these around during shipping.  The wheel has good foam to keep it in the box, but I wonder if shipping ends up knocking something loose or shorting something out.  After seeing a few weak spots inside, I can see that easily happening.  Now imagine riding and having it take a tumble... there are forces that have unpredictable effects on components and wiring.   I can't imagine what it's like building an experimental helicopter and trying to make sure everything is sound as those things really vibrate quite a bit!  There's a lot on the line to make sure things work well.

The snow is a different problem, but I think I've solved one of the big puzzle pieces to winter EUC riding: cold temperatures.  I ended up picking up the "warmest jacket on earth" about an hour ago and am going to use it for buzzing around in the frigid winter.  Now I just need a balaclava and gloves, but I'm optimistic the key was getting the right jacket.  As long as it's dry and the roads are mostly clear, I'm going to give it a go. 

I am a little jealous that you had to wait for your Tesla!  I imagine that sounds funny to you, but my EUC was shipped within the country and only took a few days.  I didn't get to experience the sweet anticipation of waiting, although knowing that the riding season was dwindling would have been annoying I guess.  It gives you something to look forward and it stops you from obsessing about your next wheel. 

Edited by mezzanine
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

The Egg has landed.  :w00t2:

402283_img3478.jpg

First impression is that it looks like a very nice wheel.  Sadly the GW emblems are scuffed up already from the grip tape.  It's not as heavy as I was afraid it would be.

Great side by side with the Ninebot!  I had no idea how large the Tesla was until now.  Looks huge next to the bot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mezzanine said:

I am a little jealous that you had to wait for your Tesla!  I imagine that sounds funny to you, but my EUC was shipped within the country and only took a few days.  I didn't get to experience the sweet anticipation of waiting, although knowing that the riding season was dwindling would have been annoying I guess.  It gives you something to look forward and it stops you from obsessing about your next wheel. 

:blink:  Trust me, waiting forever when it should have been a week and seeing the snow and cold weather forecasts approaching quickly was not so sweet  :rolleyes:  especially when you start seeing postings about Teslas not working out of the box and beeping error codes.  That plus trying to keep a surprise from my fellow forum members was almost too much to bear!  :w00t2:  It's still weird and scary to own a Gotway for some reason after all the many threads about issues and problems.  And oh, I obsess about all my wheels.  :ph34r:  So yeah it was a little bitter sweet that it arrived finally and now I can't ride it.  :crying:  The snow is packed on the roads and the sidewalks are pretty sketchy here, but that's Alberta for you.

8 hours ago, steve454 said:

Great side by side with the Ninebot!  I had no idea how large the Tesla was until now.  Looks huge next to the bot.

Yeah I tried to get a front photo comparison, but I couldn't keep them upright to take the photo.  Maybe I'll try again later.  I wish the front bottom of the Tesla wasn't so flared out.  It's like wearing bell bottom pants all over again!  The Ninebot has a UFO disc shape that tapers inwards near the front bottom so it's nicely formed.  The Tesla has this weird triangular flare outwards which aesthetically isn't so nice.  I actually didn't like the way it looked in photos when I first saw it.  In person though it kinda grows on you, but it's definitely bulky looking and not as svelte as the Ninebot One.

With the Ninebot it just boggles the mind as you just see a wheel, a fairly slim casing, and where's the motor/batteries?  :confused1:  People go nuts when they see it and can't figure it out.  With the Telsa it looks like some jumbo suitcase that bulges out and flares.  The light ring is also not circular, but slightly ovoid.  I still love the look of my Ninebot.  The Tesla is nice and glossy, but it's black, matte black, and more black.  Maybe I need to slap a Batman emblem on it.  :sleep1: The lights though are cool.  They glow and pulse and have an alien-like shape to them as they spin around.  I first didn't think I would like the rainbow spinning setup, but it's actually rather nice.  Now if only I could ride it somewhere that would be good!!! :furious:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink:  Trust me, waiting forever when it should have been a week ...

I know how that feels. :(

Likewise, I ordered my Tesla is early September and got it only near November. My friend ordered in early October and got it in mid-October. Those last 2 weeks of waiting while hearing about how much fun these new Tesla owners were having ... no fun! :crying::P

• Like 2

Back to my Diary.....day 4!

I have forget some things that really also speak for the Tesla!

- Pedal height! In this 4 days...i havent scratched the pedals once! They are very high, much higher than on ACM and even MSuper V3. 

Even on very sharp turns at max my shoe-front touched the bottom. GREAT!

- Frontlight: While it looks the same as one Acm and Msuper...its much much brighter! When guessing, i would say its now a 5V running at full 2 Amps with 10Watt...at least! Unfortunatly it is not perfect! While it is outstanding bright...exactly like on the KS wheels, it is shining much to high....so yes, you are seen better, but you dazzle the opposites as the light dont shine on the ground only! But again: Very big progress!

First Range impressions:

From a 100% wheel...i am now down to 35% and have made about 60km! I would say thats great in consumption! Unfortunatly its only a better guess, as i did not look at the mileage exactly when starting with my 100% load! But: it Matches my observations, that the consumption for this wheel is quite good....

For some more exact numbers we have to wait a bit for better weather :-(

So, What else do i miss on my review???

Edited by KingSong69
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Hmmh.

Did you have some experience on different wheel sizes?

14, 16, and 18 inch? In my view a 16inch to 18inch comparison is useless or better say not adequate, as on smaller wheels you have just a totally different torque behaviour....

Smaller wheels just have more push/power on the first meters, they are more agile and nimble....thats just physiques (correct english words?)

its the same that an 8cm e—skateboard wheel has more torque than a 10cm wheel, therefor the 10cm e-skate has more max speed then.

But ok.:

Here some thoughts:

Yes, the Tesla is the better accelerator on the first few meters, more agile, more nimble. Thats kinda logic. I would not give that to the Voltage, as i know from my very own experience that the 67volt ks18S eats the 67Volt 18inch V3 for breakfast, and even outaccelerates the 18inch V3s+ with its higher 84Volt.

Tesla is the winner here because of its smaller wheel. What impresses me is the pedal setting...Gotway changes its firmware behaviour and for the first time in some years do again a rockhard pedal setting. 

What i am totally missing on the Tesla is the seating possibility and playing some music while having a long ride...and a bigger battery of course :-) The LED ring allready pi§&“s me off...

All people are looking forward to the 18L(me too).....but i am personally hoping that KS also stays with the Ks18s shell size! Yes...you need time to get used to it...yes, it is not for agile sharp curves. But it is the best wheel (imho) for any longer commute, ride, offroad, with best seating ability, best entertainment factor! Some parts of this will get lost with the 18L...

So if i had to choose...as you can read :-)....without any question that would be the 18S.

Thanks for your thoughts.  I know the two wheels are in different classes and don't easily lend themselves to comparison.  They're two of the newest releases, though, and I think there can be value in comparing where each company is at more generally.  The KS18S seems to have been a bigger jump over previous KS18 models than the Tesla is over other current Gotways.  I would argue there's been more recent improvement at King Song.  It's useful for those who are buying a new wheel because a year ago I'd have argued that Gotway was the better choice and it's easy to carry forward those assumptions unless you look at the newer models from both brands. 

I came around on the 18S shell size after being put off by it like most.  I'm surprised seated riding isn't more popular. 

10 hours ago, mezzanine said:

The KS18S seems to have been a bigger jump over previous KS18 models than the Tesla is over other current Gotways. 

Exactly....

10 hours ago, mezzanine said:

surprised seated riding isn't more popular. 

I guess it is a bit because of the learning curve needed AND for sure that on other wheels it is just not that comfortable as on a Ks18 or Monster.

When the shell is not high enough it makes no fun.

I needed time to get used to it on my Ks18....but now? Riding seated is the best ever :-) Such a fun!

• Like 2

:lol:  Was wondering when someone would mention that!  I don't like the front look of the Tesla that much with the headlight and ports stuck on there.  Back looks much better!

Also I wonder why they don't place the charger port somewhere safer on both rides. If the wheel ever tips over there goes the charging connector if it's plugged in!

I wish there was a built in red rear light under the glossy panel.  It would also be cool to have some pulsing, glowing lights all along the glossy part.  Purely for visibility of course.  :innocent1:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Easy to get to valve comes with a cap!

298513_img3507.jpg

Ninebot extension makes life easier.

117210_img3509.jpg

Tire specs.  It says to inflate to maximum 45 psi.  I pumped it to 57.5 psi.  What do you guys have yours at?

295446_img3510.jpg

Cheng Shin Tire or could be He Ng Shin or Heng Shin?

503921_img3512.jpg

• Like 1

I didn't notice it before, but the top of the side panels kind of digs into the inner calves.  I have to move my legs apart a bit more for comfort.  I originally thought there was a slight slope to the panels, but nope they are straight up and down.  The pads on my Ninebot One are more comfortable as they curve in slightly at the top.  An inward slope on the Tesla would have been much nicer, and judging by the amount of room underneath the shell (took a looksee under at the tire looking up) there does appear to be room.

I measured outer panel to panel and the GW Tesla is 7" as compared to the Ninebot's 6" in width.  The pedal support is mounted what looks to be about 1/2" from the bearing likely to help move the pedals outwards to help clear the side panels.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'd start at the minimum tire pressure, take an air pump, and go up from there, the reasoning being you want fairly low pressure for balance and bump absorption and don't care much about fuel efficiency and puncture resistance so long as you're not deforming the side wall unduly.

For my KS16s that is 43 psi, within 2 PSI, but I'll often inflate it to 60 psi for fun, super-slow, balance on top of a brick fence or concrete road barrier riding. The tire will be very sticky and cannot turn easily below 60 psi, by the way.

IMG_20170712_182200.jpg

Edited by LanghamP
  • Upvote 2

298513_img3507.jpg

117210_img3509.jpg

Tire specs.  It says to inflate to maximum 45 psi.  I pumped it to 57.5 psi.  What do you guys have yours at?

295446_img3510.jpg

503921_img3512.jpg

It's CHENG SHIN "正新" (the "G" is not pronounced). Founded in 1967 they are now the sencond largest tire manufacturer worldwide. Their brand name is MAXXIS and they are situated in Taiwan. I bet they have a branch somewhere in the US. ?

Talking about tires: Does anybody have a good way to inflate the MSuper V3S+ tire? Unfortunately the Ninbot extension does not help here, so I am happy to hear it will work with my new Tesla. I have tried in bicycle shops to get some angled or bendable adapters that could function similar to the Ninebot extension, but couldn't find anything so far. So I was wondering, how is everybody doing this? Any good ideas, homemade inventions, life hacks, bought-on-eBay gadgets or other tips how to inflate my MSuper tire easily? 

Edited by Toshio Uemura
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Good to know that the valve access is good. Hopefully Gotway learned their lesson and will never repeat the MSuper valve placement again.

• Upvote 1