Gotway Tesla Impressions and Diary

7 minutes ago, Bryan Wells said:

Anyone know why my darknessbot app is displaying the Tessa's voltage to be 67.5 V at full charge? Yet both the charger and the wheel is advertised as 84v? 

Gotway's fault....the wheel is "sending" wrong numbers to the the app. Each of the app programmer would have to implement a multiply with 1.25 to bring out the correct Volt numbers.

And as the apps are not able to recognize the wheel type, the user would have to set a button like "84V Voltage" to make it work.

So everything is Ok....your Tesla has 84Volts...it's just displayed wrong.

@Bryan Wells How do you like it so far?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

So the 18S performs better in the snow? If so why would you say this is? Tire width? Center of Gravity? Pedal height? The very hard pedal setting on the Tesla? I imaging a softer pedal setting would be better in the snow but it is pure speculation on my part.

Not at all a bold prediction to make, IMHO. Not only true on snow or ice but on any slippery ground.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mono said:

Not at all a bold prediction to make, IMHO. Not only true on snow or ice but on any slippery ground.

Well..... the GT16 is not exactly known to be soft (:D), and I've had no problems so far (that sounds like Famous Last Words, I know). But maybe I should try to step it down from "playing mode" to "walking mode"? It might be worth trying, to see if it makes riding simpler in the snow.

But no riding in the current weather until I've gotten and mounted my studs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Gotway's fault....the wheel is "sending" wrong numbers to the the app. Each of the app programmer would have to implement a multiply with 1.25 to bring out the correct Volt numbers.

And as the apps are not able to recognize the wheel type, the user would have to set a button like "84V Voltage" to make it work.

So everything is Ok....your Tesla has 84Volts...it's just displayed wrong.

@Bryan Wells How do you like it so far?

Oh dude .... it's the best transportation thing I have ever ridden in my entire life

• Like 3

Just now, KingSong69 said:

@Bryan Wells

Havent watched your videos yet...but you know about the "Light modes" ? You will not need a brake light then....

the red led ring while braking is nice but i fear the cars directly behind me, our roads are not city roads and have very small bike lanes. I wish i could change the led ring colors and customize it, but i don't see any option for this in any of the apps.

• Like 1

Just now, Bryan Wells said:

the red led ring while braking is nice but i fear the cars directly behind me, our roads are not city roads and have very small bike lanes. I wish i could change the led ring colors and customize it, but i don't see any option for this in any of the apps.

There are only two options:

Complete light ring is working(rotating) and while braking the complete ring is red...or:

rotating lights are off, and instead you are seeing battery all the time on top, and when braking only the back quarter of the wheel having red brake lights!

For each of those 2 ring options there are 3 modes of front light: on, off, flashing.

So all together 6 options, which you get through by pushing shorlty the power button!

My box arrived with the seals cut too, but that's due to the side panel issue that they had to deal with.  On the inside of the side panels is a round bracing element, but due to hard impacts the round brace would hit the motor harness so dealers had to either trim that piece down or replace the panels with ones that have the supports better placed to avoid the cable.  It's weird how they can have a complicated plastic shell designed and commissioned, but these little details aren't caught earlier.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

My box arrived with the seals cut too,

Were they little seals?

My Ninebot was opened by the dealer,   I was thankful that the seller performed that service, and charged it fully for me.  I had to ask for tire inflation, he had no idea that the tire might be low.  

At the same time, it would be nice if the box was unopened.:furious:  But I am pretty sure it was the first and probably only Ninebot he ever sold.  Not long after, he closed up shop and started working out of his garage.

Edited by steve454
  • Like 1

They were the clear plastic Gotway security seals over the tabs that lock the top flap of the white box closed just like in Bryan's video.  In fact, my Ninebot One E+ arrived with the same thing - cut seals!  And not the cute LanghamP ones either!  ;)

920201703154479853.jpg

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bryan Wells said:

Untitled by Jen Wells, on Flickr

unboxing

Nice first look. Funny how people get scared off by a few random stories on the Internet. Still haven't opened my Tesla (probably won't unless there's a problem). Ninebot is so 2015 ;)

:blink: I thought with these Gotways it's a standard procedure to open them up to take a look-see since what you don't know can toss you.  I wonder why Bryan had that black electrical tape around the one motor connector.  I see he also has the new side pads so I'm guessing this must be from Jason most likely.  It's interesting to see that the battery blue plastic was folded over itself which is a nice touch.  With the rounded edge there's less chance of cutting into the battery wiring.  The silicone wiring insulation is so frail on these battery packs.  I guess they are better to resist melting from heat stress, but I've seen other wiring that has much more durable coatings.  You can actually indent or cut into it pretty easily with just a fingernail it's that soft.

Hopefully Gotway will eventually offer staggered motor wiring from the control board and matching lengths from the motor to move the large metal connectors away from one another.  That would help keep them electrically separate in a physical sense just in case anything were to happen to the clear shrink wrap.  There's plenty of space in the wire channel there so why not?  For existing users, maybe a zip tie mod to keep them apart a little would be wise.  Marty, you should open up your side panels to take a look after your steep climb test.  I think it would make for a good video to help prove that Gotway's changes on the Tesla have paid off.  Where is that inner engineer in ya man?  :w00t2:

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink: I thought with these Gotways it's a standard procedure to open them up to take a look-see since what you don't know can toss you.  I wonder why Bryan had that black electrical tape around the one motor connector.  I see he also has the new side pads so I'm guessing this must be from Jason most likely.  It's interesting to see that the battery blue plastic was folded over itself which is a nice touch.  With the rounded edge there's less chance of cutting into the battery wiring.  The silicone wiring insulation is so frail on these battery packs.  I guess they are better to resist melting from heat stress, but I've seen other wiring that has much more durable coatings.  You can actually indent or cut into it pretty easily with just a fingernail it's that soft.

Hopefully Gotway will eventually offer staggered motor wiring from the control board and matching lengths from the motor to move the large metal connectors away from one another.  That would help keep them electrically separate in a physical sense just in case anything were to happen to the clear shrink wrap.  Maybe a zip tie mod to keep them apart a little would be wise.  Marty, you should open up your side panels to take a look after your steep climb test.  I think it would make for a good video to help prove that Gotway's changes on the Tesla have paid off.

I guess I still have faith in Gotway wheels. I figure if it hasn't tossed me in 200-miles I'm good. I'm generally not interested in opening my wheels unless I have to. Don't throw any bad vibes my way @Hunka Hunka Burning Love ;)

• Like 1

:lol:  No bad vibes from this guy!   Just trying to look out for my fellow riders.  I look at it this way.  A racing car driver knows the ins and outs of his ride intimately.  As an enthusiast it doesn't hurt to pop open the engine bay of that new Lamborghini Aventador to marvel at the design elements.  Getting your hands a little dirty does no harm, and if anything it makes you more aware of what's keeping you safe especially if you find some deficiencies.

A couple of plastic trim pieces and four screws per panel is easy peasy, and you get an appreciation of what design improvements and differences exist between wheels.  :whistling:   Besides, think of the ad revenue numbers, Marty!  The adddddd revenue!  :w00t2:  I can see the video now - "Gotway Tesla: Good Vibrations!  It Didn't Melt!"

10 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:lol:  No bad vibes from this guy!   Just trying to look out for my fellow riders.  I look at it this way.  A racing car driver knows the ins and outs of his ride intimately.  As an enthusiast it doesn't hurt to pop the hood of that new Lamborghini Aventador to marvel at the design elements.  Getting your hands a little dirty does no harm, and if anything it makes you more aware of what's keeping you safe especially if you find some deficiencies.

A couple of plastic trim pieces and four screws per panel is easy peasy, and you get an appreciation of what design improvements and differences exist between wheels.  :whistling:   Besides, think of the ad revenue numbers, Marty!  The adddddd revenue!  :w00t2:  I can see the video now - "Gotway Tesla: Good Vibrations!  It Didn't Melt!"

Did you ever think that I'm afraid of what I'll find :cry2:. Ignorance is bliss :D

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Tesla diary continued :-)

Aliexpress seller maintenance service at its best i would say :-)

Today i received the "update package" for the sidewall and sidepads. One new sidewall, that protects the motor cable better, and also the 2 new rubber protections, which are a lot better than the small original ones:

JTmxDPB.jpg

Better rubber pads:

IvjCr02.jpg

Installement photos will follow letter....

Very nice. I do wish that I had gotten the better padding, but then again my legs seem to have adjusted to the original pads no longer bother me.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Very nice. I do wish that I had gotten the better padding, but then again my legs seem to have adjusted it the original pads no longer bother me.

Yip, i just only will install them for the looks....i dont need them, too. After 2-3 days all "first wheel symptoms" where gone :-)

• Like 2