The Inmotion V8 tried to kill me 5 times. One time it almost succeeded.

enGate

My friend who got dumped by his V8 (when it acted weird) never rode it again - given up on EUC. Fyi, the Inmotion 'Diagnose' scan showed 100% working condition - seems rather useless feature. The OP, at 93 kg, will be safer on a more powerful wheel. At 58 kg, I'm fine on my V8. The moment I carry a 15 kg backpack on my back, I don't have confidence in pushing my V8 anymore. Feels just like I'm having weak knees when I ride the V8. This lead me to think those above 70 kg will be safer on a more powerful wheel (like KS-16S or GW Tesla).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

On a semi-unrelated note, does anyone have any idea just how useful/effective the Inmotion 'Diagnose' scan is?

I always make it part of my v5f+ 'pre-flight' check along with tire pressure and scv correction.........although as someone with zero electrical/sensory knowledge, I'm intrigued as to whether this is indeed thorough or more of a basic placebo scan that is only ever going to pick up trivial things like communication problems between phone and wheel.

I disconnected almost every single cable. The diagnostics still shows that everything's fine. Well I'm not surprised. It looked like a fake diagnostics tool from the first time I saw it.

17 hours ago, enGate said:

Hi Guys. I'm Richard and I'm riding EUCs since the beginning of this summer.

So it all started 4 months ago when I bought my Inmotion v8. It rode fine for about 200km.
After that I started to notice weird things. All of sudden it started to wobble back and forth what isn't uncommon with the V8 as I know. This happened three times (about 1 wobble / 100km)

Imho this wobbling was already reported sometimes her for the v8 - or was this already you? Could be a bad motherboard(gyro?), firmware version? Don‘t remember how this probs where solved for the other riders, but getting in contact with your reseller/inmotion should be a good idea!

17 hours ago, enGate said:

After a long break I jumped on it and all of sudden the wheel just shut off completly after a 2km ride.Once I stopped sliding on the asphalt I looked up and the pavament was 5cm in front of me. Lucky me I guess...My hand is still shaking after this experience.

Some data:

My weight: 93kg
Outside temp: 10°C
Battery level: 94%

So I guess it's time retire this piece of junk. I'm not going to risk my life again.

Screenshot_20171108-154326.png

You mind sharing the wheellog data file - maybe it could reveal some hints on this accident?

3 hours ago, Chriull said:

Imho this wobbling was already reported sometimes her for the v8 - or was this already you? Could be a bad motherboard(gyro?), firmware version? Don‘t remember how this probs where solved for the other riders, but getting in contact with your reseller/inmotion should be a good idea!

You mind sharing the wheellog data file - maybe it could reveal some hints on this accident?

Sadly wheellog crashes if I try to start the log saving feature of it.

23 minutes ago, enGate said:

Sadly wheellog crashes if I try to start the log saving feature of it.

That‘s a pity - you once checked if there are really no files saved on your phone? Mine are saved under Downloads/Wheellog Logs.

If you find nothing, maybe for the future it could be, that you did not enable the app to acces the storage sytem?

btw: in the google play store is a quite old version from the original author. In the meantime a new forum member took over development and at 

one can find newer versions.

56 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Do you have location enabled in wheelog. I recall that having that option turned off could cause the app to crash. 

Yes. I also get a lot of disconnects for no reason with Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

7 hours ago, enGate said:

I disconnected almost every single cable. The diagnostics still shows that everything's fine. Well I'm not surprised. It looked like a fake diagnostics tool from the first time I saw it.

@enGate, Just measure voltage at those B's is not going to do it. If one cell in a pair is bad, say only contribute 0.8v., the other in the pair will try to charge it up to 4.1v, and the cell balancing in BMS will also try to charge this pair up. If the bad cell cannot be charged and not short circuited, then the pair's voltage when there is no power draw will be 4.1v. In this case, the bad cell can only be exposed when you drain the battery to say 3.6v/pair or lower, and immediately measure the voltages at those B's. Because all the load is beared by the good cell in the bad pair, that pair will show lower voltage.

2 hours ago, EUCMania said:

@enGate, Just measure voltage at those B's is not going to do it. If one cell in a pair is bad, say only contribute 0.8v., the other in the pair will try to charge it up to 4.1v, and the cell balancing in BMS will also try to charge this pair up. If the bad cell cannot be charged and not short circuited, then the pair's voltage when there is no power draw will be 4.1v. In this case, the bad cell can only be exposed when you drain the battery to say 3.6v/pair or lower, and immediately measure the voltages at those B's. Because all the load is beared by the good cell in the bad pair, that pair will show lower voltage.

I have a feeling that the issue is not the battery. I stress tested it (20° incline for 80 sec) and I also did some hard accelerations. it was really close to the max power output.
I don't see any logic in that. If it's the battery then it should cut out once it has to deliver some serious power.
Last time it died at about 50-100W power output. A minute later after that It had to deliver 400-500W power for about 30 seconds and it just didn't die.

A little update:

I contacted inmotion and they told me that:

There are two kinds of situations that can lead to power outages: 1、Motor fault .  2、The shaft connection rod is loose

BUT!

I noticed that I crashed after starting up wheellog. Wheellog constantly disconnected/connected to the wheel for some reason. I did a factory reset on the wheel and on my phone. The connection is rock stable now and I did a 14km ride today without any issues.

I still need to ride it a little bit more to confirm it but seems like it was my phone + wheellog what crashed the firmware of the wheel.

24 minutes ago, enGate said:

I noticed that I crashed after starting up wheellog. Wheellog constantly disconnected/connected to the wheel for some reason.

Do you know the "reconnect frequency" from logs or sonething? Maybe some delay could be implemented in wheellog?

24 minutes ago, enGate said:

I did a factory reset on the wheel and on my phone. The connection is rock stable now and I did a 14km ride today without any issues.

I still need to ride it a little bit more to confirm it but seems like it was my phone + wheellog what crashed the firmware of the wheel.

I'd hope it was the firmware and/or the blootoith module and not the phone/wheellog.

58 minutes ago, Chriull said:

I'd hope it was the firmware and/or the blootoith module and not the phone/wheellog.

I was thinking it would be more likely the Bluetooth module too than WheelLog. Did you ever run the Inmotion app? Was that stable? 

16 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I was thinking it would be more likely the Bluetooth module too than WheelLog. Did you ever run the Inmotion app? Was that stable? 

Yes I ran it. It was stable. I uploaded the logs after the crash what took about 2 hours. And it didn't disconnect.

On 11/10/2017 at 3:42 PM, enGate said:

I did a factory reset on the wheel and on my phone. The connection is rock stable now and I did a 14km ride today without any issues.

Hello,

1) How did you do a factory reset ?

2) I often wonder whether those apps that solicit the processor at high rate could have a bad effect on stability.

1 hour ago, Gil said:

Hello,

2) I often wonder whether those apps that solicit the processor at high rate could have a bad effect on stability.

I could be wrong but I understood that the apps just tap into the wheel's stream of data without actually controlling flow through requests. This would be a question best asked in the wheellog thread. 

On 11/11/2017 at 4:51 PM, Gil said:

Hello,

Diagnose -> Erase all data

• 2 weeks later...

My first post and I have a similar story. I have a 1 month old V5F+

Was riding home today and the wheel just shut off and dumped me. I pancake on the road. My knees are a mess. Pedestrians gawk.

Interesting thing is, I've been getting error messages recently from the app diagnostics tool "motor driver board temperature". On 3 occasions, the wheel slowed down and forced me off with this message.

Now the wheel is dead, won't turn on. I'm not sure if I'll ever trust this thing again...

1 hour ago, Propulsion said:

My first post and I have a similar story. I have a 1 month old V5F+

Was riding home today and the wheel just shut off and dumped me. I pancake on the road. My knees are a mess. Pedestrians gawk.

Interesting thing is, I've been getting error messages recently from the app diagnostics tool "motor driver board temperature". On 3 occasions, the wheel slowed down and forced me off with this message.

Now the wheel is dead, won't turn on. I'm not sure if I'll ever trust this thing again...

Defect After One month is a bad story....

Sounds Like A Mosfet Poped, board Is dead now.

On 9. November 2017 at 1:10 AM, mezzanine said:

Interestingly, the french forum not only has a higher number of V8 owners, but the V8 is also a more popular model there than it is here relative to other brands.  At least that's my perception.  Maybe it's because most french EUCers are city riders.

I have a French friend, who lives in Kyoto and he also rides and promotes V8s here in Japan. I am sure it's 'cause the French love 'stylish' and there are few wheels as stylish and as becautiful as the V8 with all its programmable lights. I wouldn't dare to ride my MSuper in Paris! Never ever! Impensable, mon ami, impensable! ?

1 hour ago, Toshio Uemura said:

I have a French friend, who lives in Kyoto and he also rides and promotes V8s here in Japan. I am sure it's 'cause the French love 'stylish' and there are few wheels as stylish and as becautiful as the V8 with all its programmable lights. I wouldn't dare to ride my MSuper in Paris! Never ever! Impensable, mon ami, impensable! ?

Just FTR, there are lots of riders in Paris who do dare.

Archived