Ninebot reset sequences for ONE E+

tjcooper

In this thread I share my sequences of reset sequences related to pushing the power button while the wheel is off the ground.

The general sequence is the CALIBRATION sequence which I will show in a later YouTube.

In this first sequence I demonstrate my problem which is the constant tilt FORWARD/BACKWARD when the unit powers on.  Have not found a solution to this problem.  There is a thread that covers this problem for tjcooper.  This is why I am searching for a system reset sequence.  On the EUC forum there are several Ninebot system reset sequences listed, but none of them helped my problem.

The second sequence on the YouTube video shows a button push where I get into a state where the RED leds flash forever without me holding down on the buttons.  Not clear what this sequence does to the operating system.  It did not cure my tilt problem.   There is another sequence that I found which is similar to the RED leds flash forever but the beeping stops being a pulsing sound and becomes a constant tone with no variation.  It continues forever until a single push-release of the power button is made.

Here is YouTube that demonstrates the problem and then the RED leds flash forever:

https://youtu.be/LQuM3JMsHJ4

1 hour ago, tjcooper said:

In this thread I share my sequences of reset sequences related to pushing the power button while the wheel is off the ground.

The general sequence is the CALIBRATION sequence which I will show in a later YouTube.

In this first sequence I demonstrate my problem which is the constant tilt FORWARD/BACKWARD when the unit powers on.  Have not found a solution to this problem.  There is a thread that covers this problem for tjcooper.  This is why I am searching for a system reset sequence.  On the EUC forum there are several Ninebot system reset sequences listed, but none of them helped my problem.

The second sequence on the YouTube video shows a button push where I get into a state where the RED leds flash forever without me holding down on the buttons.  Not clear what this sequence does to the operating system.  It did not cure my tilt problem.   There is another sequence that I found which is similar to the RED leds flash forever but the beeping stops being a pulsing sound and becomes a constant tone with no variation.  It continues forever until a single push-release of the power button is made.

Here is YouTube that demonstrates the problem and then the RED leds flash forever:

https://youtu.be/LQuM3JMsHJ4

Have you measured your Batterie voltage?

I am still thinking it is in overvoltage. The forth and back of the pedals then is the wheel trying to get the voltage down....

Kingsong69,

I measured the voltage at 62.7 both before I ran tests and after the tests.    I am now only using the DrCharger since for Ninebot it shows me the voltage, amperage, and Watt/hr components that go into the charging cycle.   I spoke today with New Jersey people at Segway on the problem.   They asked me to hold off on removing the battery until they can research my YouTube shows to see what is going on.  They have never heard of or seen the tilt forward/backward.   What was really strange was that the technician said there is not FACTORY RESET for Ninebot.  There is only CALIBRATION (manual and from App) and the reset of Bluetooth password.   Any yet there are at least 50 stories in EUC of how to reset the Ninebot.   I am really interested in hearing what he is able to research from China.

What really blew me away was that Forward California, where I bought the unit, never was a factory authorized Segway reseller.   That is one of the strongest motivations to buy from them so that I would have a good warrantee.   I find out that I have none.   Real disappointment.  But the technician said that so many people were taken in by Forward California that they will repair their units for standard fees.   This is to be compared with having to ship the unit back to China for repairs.  This really shakes my confidence in buying from dealers.  How do you really know if they are truly authorized dealers?   In those days I had no way of knowing there was a NinebotUSA or how to find their phone number.

Anyway, I am working hard to get unit reset or repaired so that is a working machine again.

48 minutes ago, tjcooper said:

What really blew me away was that Forward California, where I bought the unit, never was a factory authorized Segway reseller.   That is one of the strongest motivations to buy from them so that I would have a good warrantee.   I find out that I have none.   Real disappointment.  But the technician said that so many people were taken in by Forward California that they will repair their units for standard fees.   This is to be compared with having to ship the unit back to China for repairs.  This really shakes my confidence in buying from dealers.  How do you really know if they are truly authorized dealers?   In those days I had no way of knowing there was a NinebotUSA or how to find their phone number.

There where no "authorized" dealers before - ninebot sold their wheels over a "free network of dealers".  I assume everone who wanted could get a dealer and be supplied by ninebot. 

Until segway was bought by ninebot and ninebot started to cancel all contracts with their previous "free" dealers and exclusively used the segway sales points. And this are by now the only "authorized" dealers. Imho before the change in sales channels every other dealer was also "authorized" - depends only on the viewpoint and definition...

Ps.: Just reread your first sentence again - there you wrote "factory authorized SEGWAY reseller". That's for quite sure true - that they never were authorized SEGWAY reseller. Ninebots where in this time not sold by segway resellers...

Or you just got your ninebot from ForwardCA after this change of sales/company structure and ForwardCA was just selling of his stock? Imho the previous seller had no chance to get ninebots or spareparts anymore after this change.

5 hours ago, tjcooper said:

What was really strange was that the technician said there is not FACTORY RESET for Ninebot.  There is only CALIBRATION (manual and from App) and the reset of Bluetooth password.   Any yet there are at least 50 stories in EUC of how to reset the Ninebot.   I am really interested in hearing what he is able to research from China.

I have heard of reset for the ninebot mini, but not the E+.  Only the app calibration and manual calibration.  

When did you get your ninebot, it is out of warranty isn't it?  6 months battery 1 year everything else except the tire and tube.

They will give you an estimate before repairs are made, at NinebotUS.  

Steve454,

my Ninebot is like 1 year 1 month old.   I am not worried about warrantee coverage at this point.  Only that I can get service from Ninebot here in USA.

I have heard the horror stories of people who had to ship their units to Shanghai to get repair.   I understand there are 3rd party service groups, but no clue if they are good or reliable.

Churill,

my description of Segway on Forward California was only what they told me over the phone as I was purchasing my unit.  I only learned of the merger of Segway and Ninebot after I made the purchase.   But I must say the Forward California was really good in supplying accessories and talking to you about serivce issues on the phone.

tjcooper

12 minutes ago, tjcooper said:

I can get service from Ninebot here in USA.

One of the forum members sent his E+ to NinebotUS, they changed the board and fixed it.  If I remember correctly,  the board and labor was a little over $200 plus shipping.  The battery is more expensive.  It might cost more to fix  the ninebot than it is worth.  

Did they see the video and give you an idea what could be the problem?

At least the Mohoo is still working, 

I hope you can get the ninebot fixed.

Someone in Utah is selling a dual wheel Inmotion for $350.  Might be an option for you.  It's almost brand new.

On 11/6/2017 at 3:02 AM, KingSong69 said:

Have you measured your Batterie voltage?

I am still thinking it is in overvoltage. The forth and back of the pedals then is the wheel trying to get the voltage down....

42 minutes ago, tjcooper said:

Steve454,

my Ninebot is like 1 year 1 month old.   I am not worried about warrantee coverage at this point.  Only that I can get service from Ninebot here in USA.

I have heard the horror stories of people who had to ship their units to Shanghai to get repair.   I understand there are 3rd party service groups, but no clue if they are good or reliable.

Since you are in the Bay area, have you considered starting a new topic asking for help from other local Ninebot E+ owners? If I were in your area, I would be happy to meet up with you and swap out your battery with one of my spares to test @KingSong69's theory.

Much thanks for all the comments.  I am still waiting for Ninebot technician to review my video and call me back.

NOW I return to Calibration sequences on YouTube:

Here is 1st Calibration sequence where I do multiple cycles of holding down button with unit in air performing "wheel move, leds on, stop wheel".    Then I do my special pushes to get the calibration light (yellow and white) to appear.      https://youtu.be/gGDBlj-1a1A

Here is 2nd Calibration sequence were I only need a single cycle of "wheel move, leds on, stop wheel" and then do my pushes to get Calibration lights to appear:

https://youtu.be/WaAzF7rJ4v4

Here is my video showing that my power is 62.7 volts and 10 milliamps after all of the testing shown in the video sequence.  In short,  I have no over charged the battery and the peak voltage is what a freshly charged battery should be.   Using DrCharger to show the values.  https://youtu.be/5ZVcyPcHvJk

Here is 3rd sequence of Calibration where I have setup a condition where I can do a hundred calibrations back to back if I were so inclined.  It says that once you get into a calibration mode, but just holding the button for 4 secs, then release for 4 seconds, then repeat hold.....that you can get back to back calibration cycles.   What this tells me is that setting up for a calibration is a generic mode,  not something specific to a unique set of button pushes.

https://youtu.be/5ZVcyPcHvJk

I will continue this sequence if I can find a true SYSTEM RESET  ..... hopefully with the help of Ninebot

tjcooper

Last night got an email from Sunny at Segway.  He has contacted Ninebot in China and they do not have any general "factory reset" sequence.  All the other sequences are for angle calibration, reset bluetooth, set level on petals, etc.   But no general reset.    He also looked at my tilt forward/backward video and said he has seen that before.  It required a new controller board.  That is going to cost me dearly.

tjcooper

Maybe check with @Rehab1 to see how much it cost to have his board replaced.  His grandson had some issues, and they had to send it in.  I think it wasn't too bad if I recall correctly.  Or maybe if you can buy a used Ninebot One board somewhere that might be less.  Some people were selling Ninebot One C+ wheels, and with the firmware flash mod you could change it to an E+ possibly.  It does take fine soldering skills though.

27 minutes ago, tjcooper said:

Last night got an email from Sunny at Segway.  He has contacted Ninebot in China and they do not have any general "factory reset" sequence.  All the other sequences are for angle calibration, reset bluetooth, set level on petals, etc.   But no general reset.    He also looked at my tilt forward/backward video and said he has seen that before.  It required a new controller board.  That is going to cost me dearly.

tjcooper

What is it going to cost? If you bought the wheel from @FORWARD california a little more than a year ago, you may have paid just $500 for the E+ FlameBot on sale, which was and still is a great deal. So all things considered, an extra $200 or so to replace the board isn't so bad, considering the E+ is still selling for $640. Or you could just sell it for parts and buy a new wheel (for a whole lot more).

It would be helpful if you could post a few high-resolution close-ups of the board before you send it back or sell it, so we can all learn from your experience. Maybe there is an obvious component failure that would be easy for one of us to spot. It's easy to get to: just remove the light ring on the right side of the wheel: it pops right off, just use an old credit card to pry it loose (no need to disconnect the wires at the top, or to remove the pedal), and then remove the two screws at the top of the cover.

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe check with @Rehab1 to see how much it cost to have his board replaced.  His grandson had some issues, and they had to send it in.  I think it wasn't too bad if I recall correctly.  Or maybe it you can buy a used Ninebot One board somewhere that might be less.  Some people were selling Ninebot One C+ boards, and with the firmware flash mod you could change it to an E+ possibly.  It does take fine soldering skills though.

The cost was around $150. Including shipping.

Archived