Back in the Saddle Again

dbfrese

One-hundred and eighty-two days.  Longer than anyone should ever have to go without gliding effortlessly mere inches over the sidewalk! It was 182 days ago, 49.86% of this year, that I've been trying to heal, getting surgery, spending three solid months in a cast, all for a bone that measures only an inch long (27.5mm). :furious: 

It's been about a month since I got my last cast off, and the itch to ride got to be more than I could stand, so today I "got back in the saddle again." Despite a little nervousness about how well I could ride after six months on the ground, :cry2: I donned my brand new flexmeter wrist guards, knee and elbow pads and helmet and went for a 7 mile jaunt that took me past a huge biker event, (lots of curious eyes looking my way), past my place of work (closed down for the day), and along a busy road with lots of construction and bumper-to-bumper traffic (to provide entertainment to the poor slobs stuck in their cars). 

A gasoline tanker truck driver pulling out of the nearby Costco whipped out his camera and was taking video of me while driving alongside me. :facepalm:  Eventually he stopped at a traffic light, and when it was safe (for him and everyone in a block's radius) I waved while he took more video. 

When I was nearly back home, a couple in a pickup truck pulling out of a Circle K stopped to look as I rolled by on the opposite side of the street. It was pretty obvious that they had a more than casual curiosity about the Ninebot One, as the guy rolled down the driver's window to gawk. I shouted and signaled for him to pull over into the driveway opposite, so I could answer their questions. I now have business card-sized cards explaining what an EUC is and giving them places to go on the Internet (like forum.electricunicycle.org) and containing excerpts from Arizona's law on EUCs. The couple was nice, explained that they rode electric bikes, and really liked the possibilities of an electric unicycle. So after a brief conversation we parted ways. :thumbup:

The next person I saw was a homeless woman who was cursing at a car going by. I asked if she were hungry, so I could get her something to eat at Circle K if she had been. The answer was a loud, "NO!"  :blink: Well that was the end of that.

A few minutes later I was home, opening up the Electric Unicycle Forum, exhilarated and ready to tell my story!

In a word, "Gleitvergnügen" (Und ja, ich weiß was es wirklich bedeutet!!!) :roflmao:

Glad to hear you're back up and running!

So now you need to sign up for our upcoming Dec 9 ride.  See the thread in the Local Meetup section.  We're all looking forward to seeing you again, and @Playarider promises to keep his Nerf footballs to himself!

33 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Why was he out? I hope not an EUC crash.

@LanghamP, it wasn't purely an EUC crash. It was half EUC and half football. That's what happens when you combine the two sports. Just follow my advice. Don't try.

Archived