Gotway TESLA short review/comparaison

Pingouin

Hi guys,

I was lucky enough to borrow one of the first Gotway Tesla 1020Wh in France to one of my friends, I rode on a Gotway ACM 1300Wh & Rockwheel GT16 for a while now, and a little on a Gotway ACM1600Wh, I will compare this EUC to it's current competitors (at least the ones I can talk about).

My first impression when seeing it was how beautiful it looked. I already checked the pictures on the internet, and review videos, but seing it in real is something different. The glossy finish on the led rings gives a premium feeling to the EUC, overall I really love the design, very close to the Gotway MCM4 and close to a V8. I can say that for me, it is the best looking EUC that Gotway has come out with so far (this is subjective of course).

First go with the Tesla, and woooow that is a freaking awsome EUC. The most noticable improvement over the ACM is that it is very smooth, the algorithm must be different, and also it is a very quiet EUC, I would say it's even quieter than the V8 !!! I have been riding on a Gotway ACM 1600Wh lately, the tiny pads of the Tesla sits much higher than the ones on the ACM, so overall it gives the impression that the EUC is much more stable at slow speeds. The acceleration is very progressive, it's not as brutal as on the GT16, but feels much more stable and stirdy than on the ACM, the 2000W motor sure gives confidence while accelerating. Regarding it's comfort, I would say it's more comfy than the ACM, compared to the GT16 it's hard to tell, the soft rubber under the pedals of the GT16 sure helps but the GT16 is so much more brutal than the Tesla, the Tesla feels much more gentle...The Tesla absorbs the shocks about the same as the GT16 I would say, maybe the GT16 has a slight advantage over the Tesla, not sure...

At slow speeds, the Tesla is still very agile, it can go slower than the ACM, I measured 2.4kph on the Tesla, 3.6kph on the ACM, 2.3kph on the GT16. At high speeds, the Tesla is a beast ! Much more stable than the GT16 and the ACM, it doesn't have the slow tilt back that the GT16 has when reaching 40kph and above, at 44kph I felt very confident, and safe, I would say that it almost feels as stable as on the Monster, and more stable than on the Msuper3 that I have tested (although I didn't test it long enough to be sure at 100%). As I rode along, I felt that the pads are a little hard on your legs, I feel like there is some room for improvement here, or maybe it's because I'm small.

When walking with the Tesla and it's trolley, it feels very natural, much more esthetic than the one on the ACM & GT16, and I would say it will probably last longer than the one on the KS16XXX being appart from the carrying handle. Lifting the Tesla is like any other EUC. Laying it against a wall is easier than on the ACM & GT16 because the trolley is centered.

Performances : I measured 6.8s accelerating from 0 to 45kph with the Tesla, 6.5s on the GT16, 8.1s on the ACM, 9.4s on the Monster. Top speed with my weight on the Tesla : 53kph, GT16 : 53kph,  ACM : 49kph, Monster : 51kph. I was suprised that the Tesla can accelerate as fast as the GT16 because it feels much more gentle, but I much prefer the acceleration on the Tesla.

Reactiviy is not as good as the GT16 which keeps the lead on this one, still much better than the ACM 1300Wh & 1600Wh. I would say it is not the best Freestyle EUC overall, in hard mode it's not as hard as the V8 for example, but for an every day use it's perfectly balanced. I've rode it during the night, the front light is very very bright, it's all we need, you can now see what's coming from far away, it's brighter than the front light on the V8 & KS16B, it's simply the brightest light I've ever seen on an EUC, too bad there isn't the same thing at the back, the lateral leds are very nice, you can stil be seen from behind but I would say you should probably add a light at the back for safety.

Regarding it's size, if looks quite big, but it doesn't feel big, in fact it feels smaller than the ACM, have a look at the pictures for size comparaison.

To summerize, I would say that the Tesla is really really an incredible EUC, I didn't expect that much out of it, even though I haven't rode it for very long, I think it's my favorite Gotway for now, compared to the GT16, it's a better finished EUC imo, compared to the ACM, it's a big improvement except for the range (that I haven't tested, I would say it's about the same as a GT16 1036Wh). I see it as a great commuters EUC, it feels solid, it's powerful, silent, pleasant to ride...only the range would be an issue for me (I guess it'll gove 80km going 20kph). I would recommand this EUC to anyone who don't need +60km range, and who don't know what to choose between the ACM, GT16, and maybe the KS16S (that I haven't tested but if it's just a fast KS16B...)

w3Z2xnR.jpg

1 hour ago, Pingouin said:

and maybe the KS16S (that I haven't tested but if it's just a fast KS16B...)

Appreciate your Tesla test...as i am also waiting for one :-)

What i find very good...is that you are very experienced on other wheels and so  you could compare to them!

Just one thing to the KS16S....the „S“ series from KS are definitly not just a „bit faster“ then their predecessor!!! That are totally new hardware, boards, motors and software... much more stable and harder ride setting then the old version, so i would advise to ride one of them ;-) It would be the same to say difference between a 820wh 67v ACM and a 1600wh 84v ACM is just a bit more range :-) Which we both know it is much more.... ;-)

3 hours ago, Pingouin said:

Hi guys,

I was lucky enough to borrow one of the first Gotway Tesla in France to one of my friends, I rode on a Gotway ACM 1300Wh & Rockwheel GT16 for a while now, and a little on a Gotway 1600Wh, I will compare this EUC to it's current competitors (at least the ones I can talk about).

My first impression when seeing it was how beautiful it looked. I already checked the pictures on the internet, and review videos, but seing it in real is something different. The glossy finish on the led rings gives a premium feeling to the EUC, overall I really love the design, very close to the Gotway MCM4 and close to a V8. I can say that for me, it is the best looking EUC that Gotway has come out with so far (this is subjective of course).

First go with the Tesla, and woooow that is a freaking awsome EUC. The most noticable improvement over the ACM is that it is very smooth, the algorithm must be different, and also it is a very quiet EUC, I would say it's even quieter than the V8 !!! I have been riding on a Gotway ACM 1600Wh lately, the tiny pads of the Tesla sits much higher than the ones on the ACM, so overall it gives the impression that the EUC is much more stable at slow speeds. The acceleration is very progressive, it's not as brutal as on the GT16, but feels much more stable and stirdy than on the ACM, the 2000W motor sure gives confidence while accelerating. Regarding it's comfort, I would say it's more comfy than the ACM, compared to the GT16 it's hard to tell, the soft rubber under the pedals of the GT16 sure helps but the GT16 is so much more brutal than the Tesla, the Tesla feels much more gentle...The Tesla absorbs the shocks about the same as the GT16 I would say, maybe the GT16 has a slight advantage over the Tesla, not sure...

At slow speeds, the Tesla is still very agile, it can go slower than the ACM, I measured 2.4kph on the Tesla, 3.6kph on the ACM, 2.3kph on the GT16. At high speeds, the Tesla is a beast ! Much more stable than the GT16 and the ACM, it doesn't have the slow tilt back that the GT16 has when reaching 40kph and above, at 44kph I felt very confident, and safe, I would say that it almost feels as stable as on the Monster, and more stable than on the Msuper3 that I have tested (although I didn't test it long enough to be sure at 100%). As I rode along, I felt that the pads are a little hard on your legs, I feel like there is some room for improvement here, or maybe it's because I'm small.

When walking with the Tesla and it's trolley, it feels very natural, much more esthetic than the one on the ACM & GT16, and I would say it will probably last longer than the one on the KS16XXX being appart from the carrying handle. Lifting the Tesla is like any other EUC. Laying it against a wall is easier than on the ACM & GT16 because the trolley is centered.

Performances : I measured 6.8s accelerating from 0 to 45kph with the Tesla, 6.5s on the GT16, 8.1s on the ACM, 9.4s on the Monster. Top speed with my weight on the Tesla : 53kph, GT16 : 53kph, Monster : 51kph. I was suprised that the Tesla can accelerate as fast as the GT16 because it feels much more gentle, but I much prefer the acceleration on the Tesla.

Reactiviy is not as good as the GT16 which keeps the lead on this one, still much better than the ACM 1300Wh & 1600Wh. I would say it is not the best Freestyle EUC overall, in hard mode it's not as hard as the V8 for example, but for an every day use it's perfectly balanced. I've rode it during the night, the front light is very very bright, it's all we need, you can now see what's coming from far away, it's brighter than the front light on the V8 & KS16B, it's simply the brightest light I've ever seen on an EUC, too bad there isn't the same thing at the back, the lateral leds are very nice, you can stil be seen from behind but I would say you should probably add a light at the back for safety.

Regarding it's size, if looks quite big, but it doesn't feel big, in fact it feels smaller than the ACM, have a look at the pictures for size comparaison.

To summerize, I would say that the Tesla is really really an incredible EUC, I didn't expect that much out of it, even though I haven't rode it for very long, I think it's my favorite Gotway for now, compared to the GT16, it's a better finished EUC imo, compared to the ACM, it's a big improvement except for the range (that I haven't tested, I would say it's about the same as a GT16 1036Wh). I see it as a great commuters EUC, it feels solid, it's powerful, silent, pleasant to ride...only the range would be an issue for me (I guess it'll gove 80km going 20kph). I would recommand this EUC to anyone who don't need +60km range, and who don't know what to choose between the ACM, GT16, and maybe the KS16S (that I haven't tested but if it's just a fast KS16B...

Very nice @Pingouin. This is the best comparative article that I've seen regarding the Tesla. Damn you. Now I have thoughts of buying a Tesla floating around in my head. I suspect that I know how that's going to end :furious: 

@KingSong69 Yes you are absolutely right, I didn't mean to neglect the improvements of the KS16S over the KS16B, I was refering to the form factor and overall design. I would say that the KS16S is not a "real" competitor of the Tesla, having "only" a 840Wh battery, and also being much slower with "only" a 1200W motor. I would really love to test one though !

Of course my comparaison is only my opinion and one may not agree with me, so don't take my impressions as facts :D

@Marty Backe Haha sorry Marty, it's payback because you were the one who got me to buy the Monster :D

Seriously, if you were considering the GT16, I would say go with the Tesla, if I could swap my GT16 for a Tesla, I would, plus it's supposed to be a waterproof EUC. If you like your ACM, you will love the Tesla, it's everything the ACM is but better, even at very high speeds (+45kph) it feels quite safe, because with the 2000W motor, there is a reserve of power that the ACM doesn't have at the same speed.

2 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

@KingSong69 Yes you are absolutely right, I didn't mean to neglect the improvements of the KS16S over the KS16B, I was refering to the form factor and overall design. I would say that the KS16S is not a "real" competitor of the Tesla, having "only" a 840Wh battery, and also being much slower with "only" a 1200W motor. I would really love to test one though !

Of course my comparaison is only my opinion and one may not agree with me, so don't take my impressions as facts :D

@Marty Backe Haha sorry Marty, it's payback because you were the one who got me to buy the Monster :D

Seriously, if you were considering the GT16, I would say go with the Tesla, if I could swap my GT16 for a Tesla, I would, plus it's supposed to be a waterproof EUC. If you like your ACM, you will love the Tesla, it's everything the ACM is but better, even at very high speeds (+45kph) it feels quite safe, because with the 2000W motor, there is a reserve of power that the ACM doesn't have at the same speed.

For the love of God, STOP!  :crying:

17 minutes ago, steve454 said:

@Marty Backe  Which wheel are you going to sell to make room?:rolleyes:

Therein lies the problem. I really like all the wheels that I currently own. I don't have an 'eh' wheel that I could get rid of.

I would consider letting the ACM go IF the Tesla had a comparable battery capacity. It doesn't. That plus the fact the my ACM has been through hell and re-built, I doubt that I would get much money for it.

One bit that @Pingouin has helped with is my indecision about picking up a GT16. I think that's off the table now, although I still think it looks cool.

Great review @Pingouin!  I love the comparisons with the different wheels.  I have a Tesla on order and excited to test it out myself.  Interesting that you say it almost feels as stable as the Monster.  How does it absorb bumps compared to the Monster?  Just curious.  Thanks again.

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Very nice @Pingouin. This is the best comparative article that I've seen regarding the Tesla. Damn you. Now I have thoughts of buying a Tesla floating around in my head. I suspect that I know how that's going to end :furious: 

Someone at Gotway should drop a little present on your doorstep considering all the free advertising through videos and the forum that you do for them.  Just look at all the Mten3 and ACM16 interest that you have helped stir up.  :thumbup:  Now imagine all the great GW Tesla cruising videos you would make that would increase sales of the wheel...  Seems like a no brainer to me.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Someone at Gotway should drop a little present on your doorstep considering all the free advertising through videos and the forum that you do for them.  Just look at all the Mten3 and ACM16 interest that you have helped stir up.  :thumbup:  Now imagine all the great GW Tesla cruising videos you would make that would increase sales of the wheel...  Seems like a no brainer to me.  :rolleyes:

If only you worked for Gotway :D

This morning i looked at the tracking of my Tesla, which hasnt moved just an inch since 20th October...and it is has just jumped to a town 50km away from me :-)

Announced arrival is Monday...Juchuuu!

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

For the love of God, STOP!  :crying:

If you buy the Tesla  I would love to be a fly on the wall when you tell your wife.:) Actually my wheels are so scatter about between buildings that my wife would never know if I purchased one. They all look alike to her. 

Do you think @Jason McNeil would give us a deal if we both bought one?

20 hours ago, Pingouin said:

My first impression when seeing it was how beautiful it looked.

First go with the Tesla, and woooow that is a freaking awsome EUC

To summerize, I would say that the Tesla is really really an incredible EUC

I love your review! Very descriptive and informative!   :thumbup: If you would have just ended your assessment with “Telsa is really an incredible EUC” it would have kept me sitting on the fence. But when you state “ Tesla is really really an incredible EUC”  I fall off. 

My wife would hate your review as she knowns my thought process. She already blames @Marty Backe for my habitual tendencies. 

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

If you buy the Tesla  I would love to be a fly on the wall when you tell your wife.:) Actually my wheels are so scatter about between buildings that my wife would never know if I purchased one. They all look alike to her. 

Do you think @Jason McNeil would give us a deal if we both bought one?

:D

My wife pays  all the bills - enuf said :crying:

You know, you're really not helping with that @Jason McNeil comment ;)

This is one hell of a review. And testing acceleration and top speeds. You sure have no fear :) 

And now you got me doubting again. Was about to pull the plug on an Msuper (can test one on Tuesday), but after reading the above I wonder if I should upgrade to a 16" Tesla, instead of getting the 18" Msuper. I don't want to do 60km trips, so range will bother me less. But it's the 18" stability vs 16 that makes me doubt. I want to use it for lunch/shopping trips too, and then I just want to go as fast as I can, as safely as I can.

On 11/3/2017 at 5:15 PM, Marty Backe said:

Therein lies the problem. I really like all the wheels that I currently own. I don't have an 'eh' wheel that I could get rid of.

If you absolutely had to sell all your wheels except one, say you needed to move to another country, which one would you keep as being most useful to you in the widest situations?

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

If you absolutely had to sell all your wheels except one, say you needed to move to another country, which one would you keep as being most useful to you in the widest situations?

Very tough decision (between my MSuper and ACM), but I would pick the ACM (84-volt). It's so fast, tons of torque, huge range, and very fun to ride.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Very tough decision (between my MSuper and ACM), but I would pick my new Gotway Tesla. It's so fast, tons of torque, huge range, and very fun to ride.

Sorry man, I couldn't resist trolling you with that question.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

This is like the ultimate Sophie's Choice EUC question posed to Marty.

SS officer: Make a choice. Or I'll send both of them over there. Make a choice.

Sophie: Don't make me choose! I can't!

SS officer: Shut up! Enough! I'll send them both over there! I told you to shut up! Make a choice!

Sophie: I can't choose! Please! I can't choose!

SS officer: [to an officer] Take BOTH children away!

[Sophie clings on to her son while the Nazis take her screaming and crying daughter away from her]

Sophie: Take my little girl! Take my baby!

Archived