Warm weather equipment.

Bought these a few days ago for $15, with coupon code.

BigBlue No Fuel Need 3-in-1 Rechargeable Electronic Hand Warmer USB 6000mAh Power Bank Battery Charger with Emergency Light -Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M35W3BU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KVX-zbB7PMBWM

Actually works fantastic, the high setting is too hot to touch for long.

For feet I have this for about a 100 dollars.

Columbia Men's Bugaboot Plus III Oh Wide Cold Weather Boot, Black/Charcoal, 9.5 EE US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q7JND34/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_XXX-zbB5SBGG1

And for hands I bought these for $12.

OZERO Winter Gloves, -40°F Cold Proof Leather Thermal Ski Glove |Deerskin Suede Palm and Polar Fleece Back with Heatlok Insulated Cotton| Windproof & Waterproof - Warm hands for Women/Men - Tan(L) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073191H7C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_hZX-zbGWNWZFN

For these I strongly recommend going up in size. The same people who built out footpads made these gloves...

When my Florida born wife moved to the UK for 6 months in the winter I brought her a fleece that had heating elements in it and a Li-Ion battery pack in an internal pocket. She used to wear that as an intermediate layer. Worked great. It was a while ago now and I've no idea where I got it from or even the brand but if you hunt around you might find something similar.

23 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

When my Florida born wife moved to the UK for 6 months in the winter I brought her a fleece that had heating elements in it and a Li-Ion battery pack in an internal pocket. She used to wear that as an intermediate layer. Worked great. It was a while ago now and I've no idea where I got it from or even the brand but if you hunt around you might find something similar.

Not sure if a wife is the answer to keeping me warm, but what brand is she? Reliable? Not too expensive I hope.

4 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Not sure if a wife is the answer to keeping me warm, but what brand is she? Reliable? Not too expensive I hope.

:D

I hear quality can vary greatly but one that works as "expected" can be quite efficient at keeping you warm when required. They have a quirk of becoming a little unreliable every month for a short period but otherwise are not a bad gadget to add to the collection. Expense can vary and is not always proportional to quality. Mine appears to be high quality and had only moderate startup and running costs. Buyer beware that looks can be deceiving and it has been known for efficiency to decrease unexpectedly. There is no off switch!

I'm trying to convince myself I can ride when it gets "colder", since in Texas "colder" really only means around 30-40degF.

I didn't have a problem on my motorcycle, since it vented warm next to me, and I had all my gear on. I'm thinking all I will need is a warm sweater (to take off when in doors) and my face mask, as the cold air really bothers my face. Already have gloves as part of my gear, and have my much warmer winter MC gloves.

Still trying to convince myself....probably not too bad.

What kind of pants/trousers do you use? I'm looking for a good option for wearing something under my office pants. I tried a cotton one - kind of OK, but it's already quite chilly with them at 5C. Thin merino trousers seem to cool you even more, instead of keeping you warm.

12 minutes ago, Herbas said:

What kind of pants/trousers do you use? I'm looking for a good option for wearing something under my office pants. I tried a cotton one - kind of OK, but it's already quite chilly with them at 5C. Thin merino trousers seem to cool you even more, instead of keeping you warm.

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pcid=5151&vid=1&pid=435081052

Unsure about the slim/straight sizing, but while these look just like dress pants (except for the odd 5 belt loop, which means absolutely useless for using a belt), they are synthetic and the weave is so tight as to be essentially an ultra-thin neoprene wetsuit. I don't use anything over them.

On 11/2/2017 at 9:26 AM, LanghamP said:

Bought these a few days ago for $15, with coupon code.

BigBlue No Fuel Need 3-in-1 Rechargeable Electronic Hand Warmer USB 6000mAh Power Bank Battery Charger with Emergency Light -Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M35W3BU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KVX-zbB7PMBWM

Actually works fantastic, the high setting is too hot to touch for long.

For feet I have this for about a 100 dollars.

Columbia Men's Bugaboot Plus III Oh Wide Cold Weather Boot, Black/Charcoal, 9.5 EE US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q7JND34/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_XXX-zbB5SBGG1

And for hands I bought these for $12.

OZERO Winter Gloves, -40°F Cold Proof Leather Thermal Ski Glove |Deerskin Suede Palm and Polar Fleece Back with Heatlok Insulated Cotton| Windproof & Waterproof - Warm hands for Women/Men - Tan(L) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073191H7C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_hZX-zbGWNWZFN

For these I strongly recommend going up in size. The same people who built out footpads made these gloves...

For hands, an inexpensive option is to just wear disposable nitrile gloves under winter gloves. They make a big difference  - the thicker ones (9 mil) are better.

I picked up a Canada Goose Expedition down jacket this week and it is going to be the backbone of my winter riding gear.  It's the jacket scientists use in Antarctica.  I've already used it and came back from my first test ride with a big grin on my face.  I got lucky and picked up a new one for only $300, but they're really expensive in stores.  If you read the reviews, you'll notice that most people go into the purchase doubting the value of spending a lot of money on a winter coat, but are immediate converts upon wearing it. 

I also grabbed a pair of Spyder Propulsion ski pants last night.  Only thing left for me is gloves and then a face mask if necessary. 

$300 for a new Canada Goose Expedition?  :blink:  Where did you get it from?  That almost seems too good to be true...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/tips-to-avoid-counterfeit-canada-goose-jackets-1.2488996

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon-ca-canada-goose-coats-300-2064664/

3 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

$300 for a new Canada Goose Expedition?  :blink:  Where did you get it from?  That almost seems too good to be true...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/tips-to-avoid-counterfeit-canada-goose-jackets-1.2488996

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon-ca-canada-goose-coats-300-2064664/

Keep an eye on kijiji.  I picked up a chilliwack bomber last year that was in like-new condition for $200.  I got lucky on the Expedition, but had to get a size up from what I would choose in the store, so there was some compromise involved.  I was really nervous when I bought the chilliwack that I might not be able to spot a fake, but now I don't worry about it as I've learned to identify the markers, but the authentic ones are unmistakable in their quality.  I say this as someone who resisted the brand because of it's mainstream popularity and doubted their value over a quality down coat from other brands.    

I bought myself an Akito motorcycle suit a few years ago for wearing on my quad bike when clearing the local roads of snow.

It was on offer and very cheap with three layers for differing weather conditions plus elbow, shoulder, knee and hip protectors which could be useful.

I've heard the Eddie Bauer down jackets are a good value. 

I'm learning that wind is the factor I have to account for more than temperature when looking at the forecast.  A lot of wind makes riding unpleasant any time you have to ride windward. 

I'm happy so far with how my cold weather gear is testing out.  Annoyed that the neon yellow ski pants I got this week dirty up way faster than I expected with EUC use, but I wanted them for their visibility considering my parka is black. 

I've been surprised that I've felt like I was barely warm enough a couple of times even with a lot of insulation.  I'm guessing I'll be comfortable down to -10 celcius if the wind chill is low.  I suspect the wind generated while riding and upright posture are the sources of my surprise.  I may do more seated riding when it's very cold out.     

3 hours ago, mezzanine said:

I've heard the Eddie Bauer down jackets are a good value. 

I'm learning that wind is the factor I have to account for more than temperature when looking at the forecast.  A lot of wind makes riding unpleasant any time you have to ride windward. 

I'm happy so far with how my cold weather gear is testing out.  Annoyed that the neon yellow ski pants I got this week dirty up way faster than I expected with EUC use, but I wanted them for their visibility considering my parka is black.      

For visibility I just bought one of those yellow bicycle "jackets" but stupidly forgot to bring it with me today.

I just took my new Eddie Bauer parka for a 5 miles ride in 35-39 Fahrenheit (1.7 Celsius) and it was just fine. I had a merino sweater and a light hoodie underneath it, and that was far too much.

The biggest factor, for my personal comfort, was simply getting a true sealed sportbike helmet. Just lifting the visor at speed lets the cold come in, and it is breathtakingly cold.

The EB Noble is weirdly wind resistant and not wind resistant, at the same time. There is a very slight breeze coming through the whole front, and at first I adjusted the closures to no effect. I think the parka is designed for walking around, and so it is slightly permeable to allow sweat to exit, that is the Dupont material will allow water vapor to pass but not allow liquid water to pass.

Last year I came SOOO close to buying a skiboarding helmet since it has nice warm lining. Also thought about getting one of those half-balaclavas that cover your nose and mouth. Turned out that I didn't ride that much in super cold weather so I held off. The worst was riding the wheel back from dropping my car off for some service. It was around 8am and the temperature was 21F (-6C). I had a scarf covering some of my face but it kept sliding down and damn that was some wind chill! 

20 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

Last year I came SOOO close to buying a skiboarding helmet since it has nice warm lining. Also thought about getting one of those half-balaclavas that cover your nose and mouth. Turned out that I didn't ride that much in super cold weather so I held off. The worst was riding the wheel back from dropping my car off for some service. It was around 8am and the temperature was 21F (-6C). I had a scarf covering some of my face but it kept sliding down and damn that was some wind chill! 

A full-face sportbike helmet has a built-in head warmer, a balaclava, and a shield that seals up the eyeport better than any goggles could do, plus the chin bar stops cold air from coming in from the bottom. One would need just a light scarf, or perhaps just turn your coat up.

EUC riders seem extremely resistant to using motorcycle helmets, yet sportbike helmets are of the highest order of head protection, not just safety but from wind and cold.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived