Gotway Mten3 Tube Replacement

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

You know me Marty.....I love challenges. :) Hopefully when it arrives today and I take a number of comparative measurements I can determine if it fits before the tear down. I would not have an issue removing some plastic on the shell if it’s a close fit. :facepalm:

BTW, you will probably have to remove the LED strip. Be very careful when handling it. The 3 wires that attach to the rubber strip are amazingly delicate and non-supported (typical Gotway design), so they will break very easily (I speak from experience).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, you will probably have to remove the LED strip. Be very careful when handling it. The 3 wires that attach to the rubber strip are amazingly delicate and non-supported (typical Gotway design), so they will break very easily (I speak from experience).

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately it appears that my tire has taken a detour. Even though the travel time between my business in Ohio and home in Michigan is only 15 minutes Fedex does not look at it that way and I will not receive it until Monday. Bummer. I was really looking forward to installing the tire. 

• Like 1

Awesome! I received my new Mten 3 knobby tire today!  :cheers: The tire may look too big for the rim but in the package came a handy dandy spray bottle of ‘EUC Tire Shrinker’. I’ve  never heard of this stuff before but it is some high tech nano fluid that literally shrinks the tire to fit perfectly around the rim for a tight seal. 

I can hardly wait to tear into my Mten and try this stuff out! :crying:

27823725719_bd1aa16906_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Awesome! I received my new Mten 3 knobby tire today!  :cheers: The tire may look too big for the rim but in the package came a handy dandy spray bottle of ‘EUC Tire Shrinker’. I’ve  never heard of this stuff before but it is some high tech nano fluid that literally shrinks the tire to fit perfectly around the rim for a tight seal. 

Can we see a photo of the Mten3 and the tyre alone, or is that just to sad? 

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Can we see a photo of the Mten3 and the tyre alone, or is that just to sad? 

The tire is boxed up for return. Not sure why tire salesman are having a difficult time understanding the tire I need is a 70/65- 6.5 configuration not 10 x 3.  :furious:

• Like 1

On 1/9/2018 at 12:16 PM, Rehab1 said:

This is so funny, and sad at the same time :D :(

I found plenty of beefier 10-inch wheels on Amazon. I just have my doubts that the Mten3 shell has enough clearance.

Good luck with your (hopefully) continued search.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2018 at 7:18 PM, Marty Backe said:

This is so funny, and sad at the same time :D :(

I found plenty of beefier 10-inch wheels on Amazon. I just have my doubts that the Mten3 shell has enough clearance.

Good luck with your (hopefully) continued search.

The new Mten 3 tire just arrived and this time it will fit. Why...because it’s the exact same identical tire.  :wacko:

The seller’s photo of the tire showed a more robust tread. It must have been the camera angle or something. If  @Marty Backe or anyone else has located a knobby tire for the Mten 3 please let me know. Thanks

39858542611_2be9535f22_b.jpg

54 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

The new Mten 3 tire just arrived and this time it will fit. Why...because it’s the exact same identical tire.  :wacko:

The seller’s photo of the tire showed a more robust tread. It must have been the camera angle or something. If  @Marty Backe or anyone else has located a knobby tire for the Mten 3 please let me know. Thanks

39858542611_2be9535f22_b.jpg

That's a bummer.

It helps to know (you probably already do) that the Mten3 uses the same spec'd tire as the Segway MiniPro.  10x3-6.5   So if you search for offroad Minipro tires you get hits, such as this: https://more4mini.com/products/off-road-tire-for-segway-minipro

segway-minipro-off-road-tire-for-segway-

Or https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/The-off-road-tire-of-the_60636777053.html?spm=a2700.7724857.main07.192.5323b25dRpnnxA

This video does imply that the extra knobbiness might not fit the tight Mten3 shell.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

FYI, the knobby Mini / Mini Pro tires are all 90/65-6.5 and 20mm too wide for the MTen3 shell allowance (unless you shave the shell like these guys did to a V8).

The only alternative tire I've found for that will fit the MTen3 is the one that's currently on my MTen3, option 2 (70/65-6.5) in the above link (and waaaaayyy better than the stock MTen3 tire IMHO, though not an off-road/knobby :()

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

The only alternative tire I've found for that will fit the MTen3 is the one that's currently on my MTen3, option 2 (70/65-6.5)

I have already it, but didn't exchange yet. Is it very difficult to remove the stock one from the rim?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

This video does imply that the extra knobbiness might not fit the tight Mten3 shell.

Bummer. I am not opposed to the trimming the shell but there is very little room to play with height wise. The width is fine. The shell would need to be trimmed superiorly to just below the headlight and equally on the back to gain any appreciable clearance.

28083287719_4a197561cf_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

FYI, the knobby Mini / Mini Pro tires are all 90/65-6.5 and 20mm too wide for the MTen3 shell allowance (unless you shave the shell like these guys did to a V8).

The only alternative tire I've found for that will fit the MTen3 is the one that's currently on my MTen3, option 2 (70/65-6.5) in the above link (and waaaaayyy better than the stock MTen3 tire IMHO, though not an off-road/knobby :()

Thanks. I might just order it. 

1 hour ago, Ch.Eng.62 said:

I have already it, but didn't exchange yet. Is it very difficult to remove the stock one from the rim?

I think I’ll wait until you attempt the install first. 

1 hour ago, Ch.Eng.62 said:

Not the most difficult, I've done it several times now. Hardest part is de-tiring, re-tiring, but lubricant + clamps + proper long metal tire levers make this process much, much easier.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Bummer. I am not opposed to the trimming the shell but there is very little room to play with height wise. The width is fine. The shell would need to be trimmed superiorly to just below the headlight and equally on the back to gain any appreciable clearance.

28083287719_4a197561cf_b.jpg

I forget whether you've fully opened your Mten3. I can tell you that the clearance you see in the photo above is the same clearance throughout the shell. So if the tire hits anywhere it'll hit everywhere :(

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My MTen3 w/ alternative Mini/Mini Pro tread tire (I've since thrown away my stock tire and ordered a spare of these!):

IY1ZUNZ.jpg

(unfortunately the center is still smooth, has no tread, but way better than the stock, which tends to pull left and right in succession, especially at speed.... though the small footprint of the overall 70/65-6.5 tire sizing can still catch on street pavement grooves, regardless of tread pattern).

Edited by houseofjob

2 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

My MTen3 w/ alternative Mini/Mini Pro tread tire (I've since thrown away my stock tire and ordered a spare of these!):

IY1ZUNZ.jpg

Can you comment on the differences. Does it handle different? Advantages/disadvantages, etc.?

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Can you comment on the differences. Does it handle different? Advantages/disadvantages, etc.?

I mentioned here and there on the forums, but the stock MTen3 tire was never meant to be ridden as a single tire; the tread pattern is meant be ridden as a pair in parallel, ala the Mini/Mini Pro wheel orientation.

This alternative tread does not pull you left-right in succession at speed like the stock one will (I believe others have been terming this 'squirreliness'). 

IMHO there are only advantages over the stock tire, the stock tire is unrideable to me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I forget whether you've fully opened your Mten3. I can tell you that the clearance you see in the photo above is the same clearance throughout the shell. So if the tire hits anywhere it'll hit everywhere :(

Ugh! Thanks for the heads up. I thought there might be a bit more room. Dang

I just ordered the off road tire from More 4 Mini. It wasn’t that expensive. I’ll compare the size of the 2 unmounted tires side by side before going through the installation process. Based on your observations I have a strong feeling the tire won’t work. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

IMHO there are only advantages over the stock tire, the stock tire is unrideable to me.

Hopefully GW reads this topic and will consider a more durable tire in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Hopefully GW reads this topic and will consider a more durable tire in the future. 

Mind you, I'm just talking about the ride, haven't experienced any blowouts *fingers crossed*.... albeit I'm still using an inner tube.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

I mentioned here and there on the forums, but the stock MTen3 tire was never meant to be ridden as a single tire; the tread pattern is meant be ridden as a pair in parallel, ala the Mini/Mini Pro wheel orientation.

This alternative tread does not pull you left-right in succession at speed like the stock one will (I believe others have been terming this 'squirreliness'). 

Thanks. My Tten3 is very squirrely, yet I'm used to it so it doesn't bother me. I'm tempted change tires, but the process doesn't look fun. I'll probably keep it as-is until/if I need to replace the tube (which probably means never). 

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Tire siping seems to be an option, using a tool to cut more grooves in the tread can give more traction for different conditions.  Image result for siped tire

Unfortunately putting any more grooves into the current OEM tire would weaken or destroy it. The rubber is just not thick enough. Is there a tool that can be used to remove some of the thread from the knobby tire I just ordered? :)

• Like 2