Gotway Mten3 Tube Replacement

23 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

I don’t think this will fit, to me the inner circumference looks too small for the mten3

Plus, as others have pointed out, the valve stem on that tube is bent at right angles to the plane of the wheel vs. being parallel to it.  In that configuration, the stem would almost certainly collide with the shell.  

Edited by radial
  • Like 1

I installed the new tube today and put the wheel back together.  Getting the tire back on the rim was a chore, but the most annoying thing was getting the two halves of the shell properly aligned and screwed back together.  Those screws Gotway used are crap.  I stripped one without even trying.  Luckily I had enough clearance to cut it out with a hacksaw.  But all's well that ends well.  My Mten3 is roadworthy again and that makes me very happy.  It's such a cool wheel when it's working. 

When this tube goes, I'm going to do the tubeless conversion.  I already ordered the tubeless valve stem and a tool for popping it through the rim.  Rather than using an angled valve stem, I'm going to try a straight but very short one, similar to what Gotway seems to be using based on that factory video.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, radial said:

I installed the new tube today and put the wheel back together.  Getting the tire back on the rim was a chore, but the most annoying thing was getting the two halves of the shell properly aligned and screwed back together.  Those screws Gotway used are crap.  I stripped one without even trying.  Luckily I had enough clearance to cut it out with a hacksaw.  But all's well that ends well.  My Mten3 is roadworthy again and that makes me very happy.  It's such a cool wheel when it's working. 

When this tube goes, I'm going to do the tubeless conversion.  I already ordered the tubeless valve stem and a tool for popping it through the rim.  Rather than using an angled valve stem, I'm going to try a straight but very short one, similar to what Gotway seems to be using based on that factory video.  

Hey, good news :cheers:  I know what it's like when the Mten3 is out of commission. Let's hope you never need to do the conversion :D

Yeah, Gotway's use of screws are pathetic.

13 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

Excellent Radial, do you have a link for us to buy that tubeless valve stem? Glad you mten3 is up and running , it’s a fabulous wheel.

Thanks

Well, it remains to be seen if this will work, but here are the valves I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Rubber-Tubeless-Standard-Vehicle/dp/B01MTGDI4Y/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1511146932&sr=1-6&keywords=tubeless+valve+stem

The hole in the Mten3 rim is about 10 mm and these valves are sold to fit 11.5 mm holes.  I suspect they will fit just fine on the Mten3 rim with a little lube and leverage.  That's why I also bought the tool for prying them into place.  But if all else fails, I'll just drill out the hole in the Mten3 hub to make it a bit larger.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Well, that didn't last very long.  On a simple ride around the neighborhood this evening, the Mten3 lost enough air that I had to stop and lug it home.  I'll give it the Slime treatment first, but if that doesn't work, I'll be doing the tubeless conversion.  It's becoming clear to me why Gotway stopped manufacturing these wheels with tubes at some point and went the tubeless route.  They should send everyone who bought the tubed version $100 to cover the cost of tools and materials for having to make the conversion on a DIY basis, not to mention the aggravation.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, radial said:

Well, that didn't last very long.  On a simple ride around the neighborhood this evening, the Mten3 lost enough air that I had to stop and lug it home.  I'll give it the Slime treatment first, but if that doesn't work, I'll be doing the tubeless conversion.  It's becoming clear to me why Gotway stopped manufacturing these wheels with tubes at some point and went the tubeless route.  They should send everyone who bought the tubed version $100 to cover the cost of tools and materials for having to make the conversion on a DIY basis, not to mention the aggravation.  

Man! What bad luck. Yet I have a bit over 200-miles on mine with no tire issues. I am willing to trade you my battery issues with your tube issues :D

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Man! What bad luck. Yet I have a bit over 200-miles on mine with no tire issues. I am willing to trade you my battery issues with your tube issues :D

No thank you, I can't solder!  But I suspect that in the fullness of time, you'll have my tube issues and I might have your battery issues.  Somebody should found a Gotway survivors group :D.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, radial said:

No thank you, I can't solder!  But I suspect that in the fullness of time, you'll have my tube issues and I might have your battery issues.  Somebody should found a Gotway survivors group :D.

So true. Everything will even out in the end and all of our Gotway experiences will be the same :) :blink1: :crying: :furious:

Yet, just maybe, the Mten3 is worth some of the aggravation :D 

• 2 weeks later...

My mten3 tube just got punctured.  Debating whether to patch or to do the tubeless conversion.  Did the Amazon short tubes work out for you?

If I patch, I need to get the puncture protection tape between the tire and the inner tube.  Sadly, most of the hazards here in San Francisco tend to be broken glass gashes versus small thorns.  Not sure if slime can cover glass gashes.

Edited by GQS

1 hour ago, GQS said:

Debating whether to patch or to do the tubeless conversion.  Did the Amazon short tubes work out for you?

yes, you have to drill out the hole a bit, my tire hasn't lost any air since my conversion. Follow more info here.

• Like 2

I can share only some observations, but not experience. When I ordered my Mten3, a tubeless tire was ordered for spare too.

I was surprised how thick is the rubber of the tubeless tire, compared to other tires I have which are not tubeless. I think it will be more difficult to be punctured 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xiaomi-ninebot-Mini-Scooter-Vacuum-Tubeless-Scooter-Outer-Cover-Tyre-F5I2/142519100754?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I finally found an ideal winter snow tire for my Mten3. I was able to speak to a Michelin representative and he cross referenced the 70/65- 6.5 size. The tire is made by Shinko, model #WPS87-4422. This tire does require a tube but the tread is outrageous and should provide for some decent traction in the snow.

25610627008_e4cdb3f66e_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I finally found an ideal winter snow tire for my Mten3. I was able to speak to a Michelin representative and he cross referenced the 70/65- 6.5 size. The tire is made by Shinko, model #WPS87-4422. This tire does require a tube but the tread is outrageous and should provide for some decent traction in the snow.

Will that fit in the Mten3 without any case modifications? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Will that fit in the Mten3 without any case modifications? 

I hope so. The tire is the same size. It does look huge. I have to trust the Michelin man. I will know in a few days.

I took my plow truck and set the blade angle where it was just removing enough snow in my backyard so I could ride the Mten and attempt to draw. The tire just spun like a slick tire on oil. This tire should perform much much better. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

@Rehab1 10" x 3" outer tire dimensions is one thing, but equally or more important is the inner rim diameter, as tire sidewall thicknesses vary.

I tried to fit a 10" x 2.5" Speedway 3 tire on my MTen3, but the sidewall was too thick, ie inner bead diameter was too small, couldn't stretch it over the rim.

I believe, for the MTen3, you need your tire's bead to clear roughly a 7" 6.5" diameter.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, houseofjob said:

@Rehab1 10" x 3" outer tire dimensions is one thing, but equally or more important is the inner rim diameter, as tire sidewall thicknesses vary.

I tried to fit a 10" x 2.5" Speedway 3 tire on my MTen3, but the sidewall was too thick, ie inner bead diameter was too small, couldn't stretch it over the rim.

I believe, for the MTen3, you need your tire's bead to clear roughly a 7" diameter.

Thanks for the info. The tire arrives tomorrow. I hope it works. I'll keep you posted. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks for the info. The tire arrives tomorrow. I hope it works. I'll keep you posted. 

Correction on that, inner rim should be 6.5", hence the 70/65-6.5

Think I might look to buy my own knobby off-road tires as well, what with the Bomb Cyclone upon us here in NYC :ph34r:.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Correction on that, inner rim should be 6.5", hence the 70/65-6.5

Think I might look to buy my own knobby off-road tires as well, what with the Bomb Cyclone upon us here in NYC :ph34r:.

NY is really getting slammed! Glad the storm missed Michigan. I’ll let you know how the tire works out. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/3/2018 at 2:12 PM, Rehab1 said:

25610627008_e4cdb3f66e_b.jpg

I can't wait to see how this works. I've seen some other 10-inch tires that look to have much better tread but I've been hesitant to buy one because I'm concerned that the apparent thick tread would not fit on the Mten3. There is barely any clearance between the default tire and the shell.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I can't wait to see how this works. I've seen some other 10-inch tires that look to have much better tread but I've been hesitant to buy one because I'm concerned that the apparent thick tread would not fit on the Mten3. There is barely any clearance between the default tire and the shell.

You know me Marty.....I love challenges. :) Hopefully when it arrives today and I take a number of comparative measurements I can determine if it fits before the tear down. I would not have an issue removing some plastic on the shell if it’s a close fit. :facepalm:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

You know me Marty.....I love challenges. :) Hopefully when it arrives today and I take a number of comparative measurements I can determine if it fits before the tear down. I would not have an issue removing some plastic on the shell if it’s a close fit. :facepalm:

Why bother with measurements? You know that you want to tear that puppy apart regardless :D

• Like 3