Lessons required - London UK

Vence

I did not learn to sky by falling down the hill unguided.  I have been deluding myself that I could learn to ride my Airwheel X8 that way.  I am looking for someone who would be willing to teach me in Hyde Park on a weekend(s).

I can ride it once I am up, but starting and stopping are a struggle.  I want to get good enough to commute.

Any takers?  Many thanks in advance.

Happy to teach you guys - don't be silly no money necessary. Beer maybe......

I'm there this saturday actually if the weather holds up, but I wheel there usually once or twice a week so we can easily organise something in the near future.

11 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

Happy to teach you guys - don't be silly no money necessary. Beer maybe......

I'm there this saturday actually if the weather holds up, but I wheel there usually once or twice a week so we can easily organise something in the near future.

@Paddylaz that is incredibly kind of you.  Happy to pay, but certainly happy to host a pub session thereafter.  Does this Saturday morning work for you and @thematthewtaylor

25 minutes ago, Vence said:

@Paddylaz that is incredibly kind of you.  Happy to pay, but certainly happy to host a pub session thereafter.  Does this Saturday morning work for you and @thematthewtaylor

I won't be in the park 'till about 3.30ish unfortunately....got an annoying nephew I have to 'play' with. Is that too late for you? Might be able to get their a tiny bit earlier depending on when sister comes back.

I am hosting a halloween party that night, but got permission from the other half to escape the early part of setup for my "lesson".  3:30 (or earlier) it is.  Shall we meet at the gate by hydepark corner (opposite the tube station)

@thematthewtaylor let us know if you can join

30 minutes ago, Vence said:

I am hosting a halloween party that night, but got permission from the other half to escape the early part of setup for my "lesson".  3:30 (or earlier) it is.  Shall we meet at the gate by hydepark corner (opposite the tube station)

@thematthewtaylor let us know if you can join

Yeah that's great, see you then.

Ps. I can't promise I'll end up being particularly useful to you! If you already know how to ride, mastering the starting/stopping is usually the last thing you learn (except tricks) and usually comes with time anyway.

At the very least I suppose you'll be able to compare your wheel with mine and see if any problems you're having might be down to the Airwheel's handling rather than yourself.

@Vence & @thematthewtaylor,

Id happily help out however this coming w/e im tied to home as my wife is away (and my son will starve if I don't feed him).

I taught myself, I think as most of us do. It does take a while - it probably took me 2-3 weeks of handing myself along a low fence around a playground at our local primary school. If you can find something similar its just practice. All of a sudden you will find yourself going 20 feet without a support and then it just clicks. I found learning to get going without a support to lean on really took some time but its easiest if you almost have a rolling start.

See how you go this w/e, im happy to  meet up and help out, just cant do this w/e.

How did it go?

I've got a bit of time lately myself, so if you all fancy a group session or something I don't mind coming down to London to help out.

In terms of how I learned, it's initially about feeling comfortable on something that wants to move out from under you, so I would lean against the garden wall and just go back and forth along it, for 20 mins at a time. Try to get a feel leaning on either arm. After that point I went to the park with my partner and went along a nice flat, wide path with her as support. 2-3 hours in real time of that and you get the hang of it (but I recommend spacing it out over a few days, as to me, it seems like your balance readjusts overnight). To start with, it feels like a work out trying to stay on for a few feet, and you might think you won't ever pick it up, but persevere and it's totally worth it.

When you can stay on, start slow and initially also avoid any sharp turns. For turns practice I essentially went round and round in circles on a field for an hour or so, gradually making tighter and tighter turns until I got the hang of it.

@Paddylaz @nute @Kael

@thematthewtaylor

It was great.  @Paddylaz is a great teacher.  I am planning to go back out at 10:30am on Saturday 11 December to Hyde Park.  I would certainly appreciate more instruction if any of you happen to be out there.  @Paddylaz suggested I get better wheels so am investigating that currently, and thinking about a V8

Archived