Ninebot S1 vs S2 - Canada

PuppyLover101

NineBot S1 - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01M1SFFNE

NineBot S2 - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00IQ3GTTO/

The S1 is $1000 and the S2 is $900. Should I go for the S1 or S2? Has anyone here even bought from "Free Motion"? Kinda sketched out for the S2 as it's not fullfilled by amazon.

I believe that the S2 is the better device (and its cheaper too! LOL), so I should be going for that? Thanks :)

Looking to start using a unicycle :)

For that price range you might want to get a different wheel.  The specs and performance of the Ninebots don't really cut it at that price point as you will be wanting to upgrade sooner than later I bet.  Maybe look at a V5F+ if they are still available somewhere or an InMotion V8?   Perhaps paying a bit more for a KS16S woud be worthwhile.

9 hours ago, PuppyLover101 said:

NineBot S1 - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01M1SFFNE

NineBot S2 - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00IQ3GTTO/

The S1 is $1000 and the S2 is $900. Should I go for the S1 or S2? Has anyone here even bought from "Free Motion"? Kinda sketched out for the S2 as it's not fullfilled by amazon.

I believe that the S2 is the better device (and its cheaper too! LOL), so I should be going for that? Thanks :)

Looking to start using a unicycle :)

I think you are quoting Canadian dollars, so $900CAD = ~$712USD.

For comparison, the current price on eBay is $649USD + free shipping in the US, and the official Chinese Ninebot store is selling them for $499USD + free shipping (probably only China). The S1 is selling for $599USD on Amazon.

Ninebot.com advertises the top speed for the S2 as 24km/hr ~15mph. The E+ (16") which has a slightly more powerful motor (550w vs. 500) is advertised at 22km/hr, but mine starts tiltback at 23.5 and routinely peaks at 25-26. The speed/power isn't a major issue at first unless you are riding in hilly areas, weigh more than 90kg (200lbs), or need to commute with the wheel on smooth, dedicated paths. The range is about 10-12 miles at near top speed for both these wheels when new. Both wheels have batteries that are very easy to swap compared to other brands (in the case of the E+, minor mods are required), but the cost of the batteries can be high. I believe the consensus in the community is that 16" is preferable to 14" for most use cases.

Yes, the current Ninebot wheels are slower, less powerful (motor) and have less range out of the box than newer models. But if you only plan to be a casual rider, or intend to give the wheel to a child or spouse after you become addicted, the Ninebots are still worth considering at $650 USD or less, and are a good value for the $500-600 range.

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

For that price range you might want to get a different wheel.  The specs and performance of the Ninebots don't really cut it at that price point as you will be wanting to upgrade sooner than later I bet.  Maybe look at a V5F+ if they are still available somewhere or an InMotion V8?   Perhaps paying a bit more for a KS16S woud be worthwhile.

6 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Ninebots are worth it as cheap, quality starter wheels for people who really don't mind slow speeds or low range. These aren't cheap at all!

As Hunka said... get a different wheel. You might very well end up with a 16S...

35 minutes ago, litewave said:

I think you are quoting Canadian dollars, so $900CAD = ~$712USD.

For comparison, the current price on eBay is $649USD + free shipping in the US, and the official Chinese Ninebot store is selling them for $499USD + free shipping (probably only China). The S1 is selling for $599USD on Amazon.

Ninebot.com advertises the top speed for the S2 as 24km/hr ~15mph. The E+ (16") which has a slightly more powerful motor (550w vs. 500) is advertised at 22km/hr, but mine starts tiltback at 23.5 and routinely peaks at 25-26. The speed/power isn't a major issue at first unless you are riding in hilly areas, weigh more than 90kg (200lbs), or need to commute with the wheel on smooth, dedicated paths. The range is about 10-12 miles at near top speed for both these wheels when new. Both wheels have batteries that are very easy to swap compared to other brands (in the case of the E+, minor mods are required), but the cost of the batteries can be high. I believe the consensus in the community is that 16" is preferable to 14" for most use cases.

Yes, the current Ninebot wheels are slower, less powerful (motor) and have less range out of the box than newer models. But if you only plan to be a casual rider, or intend to give the wheel to a child or spouse after you become addicted, the Ninebots are still worth considering at $650 USD or less, and are a good value for the $500-600 range.

Thanks for the amazing replies :) What wheel should I get for in Canada? Looking for same speeds.

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I noticed that you're in Canada. I've been searching for good electric unicycles for a while now; where can I buy them? And which one specifically :) GTA region here.

Good to see you're excited:efee8319ab:

Pretty much anything from ewheels is a better choice than a Ninebot in my view. They aren't bad at all, but have been surpassed.

14D is a fantastic wheel and far superior to any Ninebot. That price really looks good.

The best allrounder size is 16 inches though, so why not have a look at the 16S?:efeebb3acc:

Mostly, it's about how much money you can and want to spend. Also, what you think you'll use the wheel for (your speed, range, usage ideas).

You can also contact @Jason McNeil (ewheels) to ask how the entire Canada thing will work if that's unclear.

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Good to see you're excited:efee8319ab:

Pretty much anything from ewheels is a better choice than a Ninebot in my view. They aren't bad at all, but have been surpassed.

14D is a fantastic wheel and far superior to any Ninebot. That price really looks good.

The best allrounder size is 16 inches though, so why not have a look at the 16S?:efeebb3acc:

Mostly, it's about how much money you can and want to spend. Also, what you think you'll use the wheel for (your speed, range, usage ideas).

You can also contact @Jason McNeil (ewheels) to ask how the entire Canada thing will work if that's unclear.

I see. I'll prolly get the 14D. It's more than enough for me. It seems like ninebot but better. Also the 16s is really expensive.

Are you female.... er a woman?  Or just someone who prefers a smaller, compact wheel?  That could certainly affect which wheel you pick.  Even with my Ninebot One 16" wheel it's a bit of weight to lug around.

The KingSong 14" wheel looks to be an all round winner in the 14" class.  @Marty Backe (after the newer firmware release :whistling:) seems to think quite highly of it.  @Kimosabi was considering it, but we might have talked her into the KS16 instead.  In hindsight, I wonder if there is quite a weight difference between the two.  Even the 14S might be a good choice.

In Canada there are some dealers like RidetheGlidevaneuc.com , and InMotion Canada which are the ones I know of.  You can't go wrong with Jason from Ewheels in the US.  I've found most Canadian pricing fairly high unfortunately so I've bought from the US even with the poor exchange rate and import duties.  It still ends up less than buying locally I've found.

49 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Are you female.... er a woman?  Or just someone who prefers a smaller, compact wheel?  That could certainly affect which wheel you pick.  Even with my Ninebot One 16" wheel it's a bit of weight to lug around.

The KingSong 14" wheel looks to be an all round winner in the 14" class.  @Marty Backe (after the newer firmware release :whistling:) seems to think quite highly of it.  @Kimosabi was considering it, but we might have talked her into the KS16 instead.  In hindsight, I wonder if there is quite a weight difference between the two.  Even the 14S might be a good choice.

In Canada there are some dealers like RidetheGlidevaneuc.com , and InMotion Canada which are the ones I know of.  You can't go wrong with Jason from Ewheels in the US.  I've found most Canadian pricing fairly high unfortunately so I've bought from the US even with the poor exchange rate and import duties.  It still ends up less than buying locally I've found.

Uhh no I am a guy and I weigh like 115 pounds. Also, I already bought the 14D. You're saying that I should update it to the latest firmware? I heard that the default stock firmware is the best as King Song ruins the wheel in the later firmwares?

Also yea I'd rather have a compact wheel that I can shove it in my locker when I go to school/other places.

You should be good then with the 14" wheel hopefully. 

I'm no KingSong expert or any expert for that matter.  I'm not sure if Jason flashes the wheels to the latest firmware, but if you look around the KS forum you will see some reports that the current one fixes some riders' complaints about the wheel.  You might just want to ride it first to see how it behaves before altering things.  I'm still on the original Ninebot firmware that came with my wheel.  I never saw a real need to update it.  I'm sure other KS riders will chime in.

Just now, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

You should be good then with the 14" wheel hopefully. 

I'm no KingSong expert or any expert for that matter.  I'm not sure if Jason flashes the wheels to the latest firmware, but if you look around the KS forum you will see some reports that the current one fixes some riders' complaints about the wheel.  You might just want to ride it first to see how it behaves first before altering things.  I'm still on the original Ninebot firmware that came with my wheel.  I never saw a real need to update it.  I'm sure other KS riders will chime in.

Cool thanks :) Also one more question, since you live in Canada. Do you think I'll be able to ride the 14D in the winter? The roads will be cleaned up but it could be 0 to -15 degrees and there may me some mush/snow remainings on the ground. Thanks

Yeeks :blink: in Calgary I don't even like driving a car in the winter.  Some hardcore riders do make it through in winter, but it depends on your area.  It's so easy to take a fall on slippery ice I'm hesitant to do it.  With the minus C temperature you likely will find your range dropping too.  Maybe if you're in an area that gets little snow it might be fine?  Road salt might be a concern on metal corrosion?  I don't know.  Also you need to factor in wind chill as even at 9°C it gets chilly on the face!

Just now, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Yeeks :blink: in Calgary I don't even like driving a car in the winter.  Some hardcore riders do make it through in winter, but it depends on your area.  It's so easy to take a fall on slippery ice I'm hesitant to do it.  With the minus C temperature you likely will find your range dropping too.  Maybe if you're in an area that gets little snow it might be fine?  Road salt might be a concern on metal corrosion?  I don't know.  Also you need to factor in wind chill as even at 9°C it gets chilly on the face!

Gotta go to a school v.v and yea i guess its too slippery. Thanks :)

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Np.  Some people do fine in snow.  Just watch our for icy, hard packed sections though.  Also be careful as the pedals can get slippery with snow/ice on them.

Thanks. I'm really excited for the 14D. I hope the firmware version is 1.0.0 or 1.0.1 ( i think ppl said one of those 2 are the best versions)

Don't worry about the firmware, latest is best. And you got the definitely best 14 incher available (well, that would be the 14S, but the only difference is the battery size and some very minor speed differences at full battery).

Snow and cold are great and fun; slippery or rock hard ice and hidden obstacles as well as road salt (presumably) are bad.

Here's some additional snowspiration (was going to post the chooch video, but Hunka already did):

3.thumb.jpg.c82600b64fedb630f44516c8fd1756e2.jpg2.thumb.jpg.98e4ccbcbe58215df3e90e63f7fc48e1.jpg4.thumb.jpg.357a7c8afadcfb780399e10a47ab1819.jpg

6 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Don't worry about the firmware, latest is best. And you got the definitely best 14 incher available (well, that would be the 14S, but the only difference is the battery size and some very minor speed differences at full battery).

Snow and cold are great and fun; slippery or rock hard ice and hidden obstacles as well as road salt (presumably) are bad.

Here's some additional snowspiration (was going to post the chooch video, but Hunka already did):

3.thumb.jpg.c82600b64fedb630f44516c8fd1756e2.jpg2.thumb.jpg.98e4ccbcbe58215df3e90e63f7fc48e1.jpg4.thumb.jpg.357a7c8afadcfb780399e10a47ab1819.jpg

damn sick! But I thought the wheels dont work well at -20? Or do they still work but slower? Thanks

This was a little above freezing, actually all that snow/ice was in the process of melting (end of January) and often slushy and crunchy. Quite grippy (and fun!).

Low temperatures really reduce battery efficiency, so you lose range and if you do some extreme (high current demand) maneuvers the wheel might cut-out in a situation that it might otherwise have mastered at warmer temps. So you have to be more careful about quick acceleration or braking, e.g.

But as long as you don't store it at like -20°C, I don't think in use the batteries get tooooo cold if you just take it from room temp, to a ride, to room temp again. No idea, haven't had a winter with the wheel yet. Worst case, you built a nice insulating "coat" for your wheel from foam or something else . It's probably too cold for you to ride (or other reasons, like too icy) before you can't use a wheel no matter how much you try. But again, haven't had a winter yet, so we'll both see soon.

Shipping to Canada was an expensive proposition; not only were the shipping costs with Fedex Ground double the cost of the US, about $90 on average, but then Fedex would saddle the Customer with the standard sales tax rate of the province, & as an extra special bonus, tack on what was referred to as a 'Brokerage fee' for the privilege of handling your package. This Brokerage fee was calculated on the declared value, so in many cases it was an extra $50-$75 on top of everything else. 

We do some fairly decent shipping volumes, occasionally I check in with my Fedex Rep to try to get some improved rates. Last week we shipped a Wheel to Nicaragua & negotiated some better International rates. What was most surprising is that after the change, there was a massive rate reduction for the Express services to Canada, which seem to defy logic. We can now send a Wheel to Canada overnight, or 2nd-day, at less than half the cost than it is to send using the same service within the US. The other wonderful thing about the Fedex system, is that when sending by Express, there are no brokerage fees, so you actually save money by getting your Wheel 3-4 days earlier!!!

Obviously, these saving are going to passed down to our Customers. Right now you can get your Wheel shipped out to Canada at an extra 50% saving from the already unbeatable Express shipping rates.

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjd1prdnlNV

31 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Right now you can get your Wheel shipped out to Canada at an extra 50% saving from the already unbeatable Express shipping rates.

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love Jason has a new wheel just waiting to be shipped to your home!  Maybe your waiting for his Cyber  sale where he offers buy one get one free.:)

Archived