Gotway ACM Trolley Handle - Installed

Thought I would share my handle install with the forum in case it is helpful. Bought it on eBay and can be mounted to front or the rear. I chose the rear just for ergonomics/appearance. Works/fits fine with the power port. Makes it also easy to wheel around if powered up, just by applying slight pressure front/back. Basically drives itself, as you'd expect. 

For the install, you will need to bend the steel plate that goes over the lower part of the wheel, as shown. It comes as a 100% straight piece. With this slight angle at center, it creates a flush fit. To install, you'll need to pre-drill the holes at top and bottom. I do like that this steel plate makes the junction of the two shell pieces stronger when attached. Note also that the top will also require pre-drilling with the same bit to be able to put the screw through it - it is hard plastic and was not fully pre-drilled. 

It was quick and easy to install. And so far, so good. The looks are certainly cleaner without it, but for function in commuting to/from platforms, very short distances, it is worth the tradeoff - the ACM is a ton of bricks to lug around.

Hopefully this is of use if you're considering it. 

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

• 6 months later...
7 hours ago, Joe Holliday said:

Thanks for this advice.  Have you had any issues with the screws stripping out of the body?  Do they hold pretty well?  Also, is there any worry of hitting wires when drilling the upper part of the shell?

Thanks,

Joe

I can't remember if any of the wiring harness goes through that area, but I can say that the wiring does not lay against this part of the shell. Assuming that you have a sharp drill bit, it will penetrate the shell rapidly and with little effort on your part. So don't lean into the drill and the drill will barely enter the shell cavity.

If your wheel falls in such a way that forces are applied against the trolley handle, the bottom screws are in danger of being pulled out. This has happened to one of my ACMs. I decided to replace the stripped screw with a 10-32 machine screw/washer/nut combination. It's not going anywhere now.

But if your wheel doesn't experience any blunt force trauma, the screws hold great.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Perhaps a bit late to react on this thread, however:
When I was looking to purchase the ACM trolley handle, I was worried about connecting the bottom part. It seemed weak and not sturdy at all.
After some digging on internet I found schematics for a 3D print, which also incorporates a stand for the wheel. So I took this file to someone who could print in 3D and for about €10,- I was done.

Note: I don't take any credit or ownership for the 3D print schematics, but I love it very much and wanted to share it with you guys. If you look for it online, it's a free file you can download, so hopefully I don't piss anyone off by sharing it.

0802fd88-ce97-49da-8e1e-323117a6b677.jpg

2c3c559a-ede4-41c4-9798-3014765cb538.jpg

Lower_bar_trolleyGotway_ACM_with_support.stl

Lower_bar_trolleyGotway_ACM_with_support.skp

4 hours ago, The Wheeling Dutchman said:

Hi,

Perhaps a bit late to react on this thread, however:
When I was looking to purchase the ACM trolley handle, I was worried about connecting the bottom part. It seemed weak and not sturdy at all.
After some digging on internet I found schematics for a 3D print, which also incorporates a stand for the wheel. So I took this file to someone who could print in 3D and for about €10,- I was done.

Note: I don't take any credit or ownership for the 3D print schematics, but I love it very much and wanted to share it with you guys. If you look for it online, it's a free file you can download, so hopefully I don't piss anyone off by sharing it.

0802fd88-ce97-49da-8e1e-323117a6b677.jpg

2c3c559a-ede4-41c4-9798-3014765cb538.jpg

Lower_bar_trolleyGotway_ACM_with_support.stl

Lower_bar_trolleyGotway_ACM_with_support.skp

Wow. Fantastic :cheers:

Hi, it’s one of my little contributions to the EUC world, I shared it on Thingiverse.com

Happy that you find it useful.?

PS: In the next days I will put online a revised version, much stronger, in case you are interested.

3 hours ago, FULspeed said:

Hi, it’s one of my little contributions to the EUC world, I shared it on Thingiverse.com

Happy that you find it useful.?

PS: In the next days I will put online a revised version, much stronger, in case you are interested.

I am interested. Please let me (us) know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @The Wheeling Dutchman, @Marty Backe

I had (finally) the time to revise and update the support;

There are two files available, one is the anticipated stronger version of the bar you already have, the second is the same but with larger pads, to increase stability on irregular surfaces

99153182_FrontBarTrolleyACMnormalpads.thumb.jpg.65feb01aa8eea5d3111d0383ff908603.jpg

The updated files:

(Deleted, new file below)

(You can find the files also on Thingiverse.com, search for "Gotway ACM". (SketchUp files available))

PS: The Large pads version is not tested, currently my 3D printer is waiting for a spare part...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I had the possibility to print the large pad version, and I found a small interference problem with the body of the wheel, in the lower part, where it hooks to the aluminum bars ...
I then reviewed the design and I tested this version which is a mix of the two (normal and large pads).

It works well now, sorry for the problem...

Front_Bar_Trolley_ACM_large_pads.stl

@The Wheeling Dutchman

20180625_164143.jpg

Archived