Tighten MSuper V3S+ axle nuts

I seem to be late to the game as this topic has been discussed much already, but I am not finding the key piece of info I need as I read through all the threads. Are we limited to a pass through socket when tightening the axle nut on the wiring harness side? I also see mention of oxygen sensor sockets, but I can't find evidence that these come in the 21mm size I need for the MSuper axle nuts. I am hoping not to have to take apart any wiring connections when tightening my axle nuts, but maybe this is my only option? Is there a definitive socket with a slot cut in it out there which I can buy? Anyone? If so and if you have a link to it that would be much appreciated. 

56 minutes ago, paulpoperocks said:

I seem to be late to the game as this topic has been discussed much already, but I am not finding the key piece of info I need as I read through all the threads. Are we limited to a pass through socket when tightening the axle nut on the wiring harness side? I also see mention of oxygen sensor sockets, but I can't find evidence that these come in the 21mm size I need for the MSuper axle nuts. I am hoping not to have to take apart any wiring connections when tightening my axle nuts, but maybe this is my only option? Is there a definitive socket with a slot cut in it out there which I can buy? Anyone? If so and if you have a link to it that would be much appreciated. 

You can make it yourself with a metal cutoff tool.  @Rehab1  has made one.  image.jpeg.cee8608d9c6b45c7ad76d1326e5c3bb8.jpeg  I think he kept cutting slots the width of the cutting disk until the slot was wide enough to fit the wire through.   Looks just like an oxygen sensor socket, but homemade.   @Marty Backe made a video demonstrating it, it's in the video thread a few months ago.

Correction, it was the Monster, but pretty sure it tightens the same, found the link, did you read this topic?

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/8050-tightening-the-monster-axle-nuts/

1 hour ago, paulpoperocks said:

Although I was able to tighten my Monster axle nut 'a little', ultimately I'm going to have to take it apart to do a proper fix. If your problem is a simple case of the nut actually being loose, that's the best case scenario. But if the axle is loose because the shims have been damaged, then the only fix is to replace the shims which requires a total tear-down.

Trying to put a positive spin on this, I can say it's a 1 - 2 hour job, so it's not the end of the world. It's one of those things where you just have to resign to doing the work, and then roll up your sleeves and do it. Once you've committed to the work, it's not brain surgery and you can do it with a $5 Husky wrench from Home Depot. I've done it on my ACM with said $5 wrench.

Good luck.

Thanks guys. After reading through the various threads on this topic I fear I need new shims too, but I'll start with the axle nuts. I wish there was a socket available with the slot cut in, but I guess I'll have to go with the pass through version. Has anyone located a source for new shims?

I just cut a slot in a 21mm socket with an angle grinder. 

It's a pain in that you can only turn the nut a little before repositioning the socket or you risk cutting the wire but as it's 1/2" drive socket it fits my torque wrench so I can be precise in how tight the nuts are.

35 minutes ago, paulpoperocks said:

Thanks guys. After reading through the various threads on this topic I fear I need new shims too, but I'll start with the axle nuts. I wish there was a socket available with the slot cut in, but I guess I'll have to go with the pass through version. Has anyone located a source for new shims?

Talk to Ewheels. They recently received a supply.

Archived