KS16S head light problem

Christoph Zens

So, after finding out that the tail light doesn't turn on when the manual switch is used, I now have an additional issue with the head light. There is no suitable reflector installed in the head light to distribute the light to where it's supposed to go. The thing just creates a symmetrical light cone (see image). The fact that this wastes a lot of the available light is one thing, but the real problem is, that it creates extreme glare for traffic (or pedestrians, which made me aware of this issue) coming the opposite way.

I will have to tape the top half of the head light. The way it is right now, it's a hazard. Like driving with high beam all the time.

The NB1 did not have any integrated lights, so I put on LED lights used for bicycles. This worked quite well, and due to the correct reflector inside the head light, there was plenty of light on the road and not in the face of oncoming people. Maybe I need to go back to this setup and forget about the broken lighting system of the KS16S? @Flora Yuan, can you forward this to engineering? The way the lights are right now is a security hazard. It needs to be fixed. Preferably the corrected headlight assembly could be bought as a replacement part to upgrade older wheels. I would buy one!

IMG_20171013_093834.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, the headlight should be better. Have you noticed that the headlight to the other direction is slightly brighter? Mine was.

There is a reflector to the headlight, but it is symmetrical and not focused enough. The way the reflector works, taping the top section of the lamp will hinder its usability as a headlight before it actually helps with the glare.

Hoping to get the headlight suitable for (K)night riding, I replaced the actual led with a slightly more sensitive one from a broken flashlight, and also aimed it a bit lower. I was able to find a precise position for the reflector that concentrates the light better. It doesn't hold a candle to a 10W cree bicycle lamp, but I have found it sufficient for night riding at relaxed speeds.

The led is quite a bit dimmer connected to the 16S than it was straight up with a 3.7V Li-ion battery. I guess the 16S runs it at 3.0V or so.

9 hours ago, mrelwood said:

There is a reflector to the headlight, but it is symmetrical and not focused enough. The way the reflector works, taping the top section of the lamp will hinder its usability as a headlight before it actually helps with the glare.

I think that could be true, unfortunately. I also thought it may be possible to change the reflector, either as a whole or its position inside the headlight assembly, to improve things a bit. EUCs still seem to be "work in progress". Designs are just not finished yet. Maybe in 2-3 years from now...

57 minutes ago, Christoph Zens said:

I think that could be true, unfortunately. I also thought it may be possible to change the reflector, either as a whole or its position inside the headlight assembly, to improve things a bit. EUCs still seem to be "work in progress". Designs are just not finished yet. Maybe in 2-3 years from now...

thats a well known problem, that the reflector is rubbish.

Actually they have a bright light...but destroy the usability by this reflector.

I have once seen a russian video of a Ks18, where the owner has opened up the light segment, and put the reflector down, so that it works very well then. I ahve asked in the video description how he has done it...but unfortunately never got an answer :-(

I guess one could disagree as to the primary purpose of the light. For me, it is visibility of me to surrounding pedestrians and motorists, so if it better catches their eye, perfect. That light is not wasted, in my opinion. In my location of crazy drivers, if crossing motorists believe you are on foot, they may try to race to beat you through the intersection even if they have stopped first. A brief bright light in their eye makes them pause.

But I also find that both the front and back white lights do work to illuminate my path. 

My red light to the rear of travel is always on, independent of white headlight function. Perhaps that was corrected in a latest firmware update--my wheel is a week old.

2 hours ago, gonnabiff said:

so if it better catches their eye, perfect

By this logic, you would drive your car with high beam all the time. The more light in the face of oncoming drivers, the better. They don't see where they're going anymore? Don't care.

I agree that the main purpose should be to be seen by others. Unfortunately, for this use case the head light turns on much too late. On my KS16S, the head light turns on about the same time the street lighting turns on (a little later than that, actually). This is much too late. So, for the intended purpose, auto-mode can't be used. When it does turn on eventually, it blindfolds others to the point where they don't see anything except a big glare. Joggers sometimes tell me, "this is way too bright" when passing by. For people in cars, it's even worse.

To actually illuminate the path, even with a proper reflector, you have to go on a flat surface. Since the wheel always stays level, and the current head light designs lack any kind of auto-adjustment, going down a hill has your light beam illuminate the air in front of you but not the path. Going uphill, it points down on the first few meters in front of you. Not really usable in either case. On the NB1, I attached a headlight to the handle, which I could move up and down a bit, so I could adjust the light beam for longer down hill or up hill sections, but the integrated fixed light is just useless in such situations.

51 minutes ago, Christoph Zens said:

the head light turns on much too late. On my KS16S, the head light turns on about the same time the street lighting turns on (a little later than that, actually). This is much too late.

Possibly we use our lights differently. I turn mine on manually at all times--equivalent of daytime running lights in autos (which lower our insurance rates in US). So if I ride into darkness it is already on. Range could suffer a bit, so I understand if you use yours only at night.

Perhaps there have been changes to later model production. My light pattern is more radially symmetric and diffuse and does not have the bright lobe aimed upwards as shown in your photo. My beams are parallel to the ground with the cone centered 18in. high at 20ft. There is useful illumination of the path between 10-25ft. ahead.

• 3 months later...

I don't know it is normal or not. but my KS16S only has white light in one side, only works if the wheel runs against the buttons side, instead red light works in both directions. does it is fine? or white light should works as red light, in both directions?

• 1 month later...

Both lights should work in both directions. Sounds like the main light LED (or the electronics driving it) is broken.

But it's okay to ride to the opposite direction, just re-calibrate your pedals if you have calibrated them to an angle.

Archived