Police Hoverbike

MetricUSA

19 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

Anyone else see the Russian hoverbike that they're making to use by the police in Dubai? They made video of prototype before...

Excellent machine! Not sure if there are any autorotational capabilities. If not the guy is toast unless he has some built in safety measures concealed under his helmet and jacket.  

9 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I like this Megadrone better.  :whistling:

This lady is mincemeat if there are any malfunctions. The downdraft at altitude over water is substantial that demonstrates the serious power being generated by the rotors. The video reminds me of the husband that shot his wife at close range to demonstrate the impenetrable effectiveness of his new cosmetic bulletproof clothing line.  

On 10/12/2017 at 10:28 AM, MetricUSA said:

to use by the police in Dubai?

It's not a hover bike (I've watched the one flown by the woman) but I watched a 360 video recently of a gyro copter flying out over Dubai and it's offshore residential area. The 360 video left me a little baffled in terms of how the camera(s) were affixed to the gyro copter, since a support pole is missing. Maybe they used multiple cameras to produce the 360 video and the support pole was dropped out via post processing of separate video (?).

I'd guess we've all looked at video of Blue Angels (FA18 in really tight formations), Thunderbirds (F16's with weird speech audio commands), Canadian Forces Snowbirds (9 aircraft - I have a signed poster they sent from Moose Jaw, SK)

https://imgoat.com/uploads/838023a778/50305.jpg

or other National aerobatic flight groups. This 360 video of the 'Russian Knights' is interesting too.

4 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

The 360 video left me a little baffled in terms of how the camera(s) were affixed to the gyro copter, since a support pole is missing.

At about 17:40 you can see a shadow of the stick on the left side of the nose.  In the Youtube comments someone said the passenger is holding it in his hands.

At the very end when it lands, you can see a shadow on the runway of what looks like a long pole.

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

At the very end when it lands, you can see a shadow on the runway of what looks like a long pole.

Camera magic! ?

It looks like the guy is using both hands at one point to hold the support stick.

Good eye at 17:40 and at the end. 

Have you ever looked at the two residential areas (one of them flown over in the YouTube video) off but attached to the mainland? In Google Earth the developments look like enormous palm trees (?) from a high enough altitude.

9 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Camera magic! ?

It looks like the guy is using both hands at one point to hold the support stick.

Good eye at 17:40 and at the end. 

Have you ever looked at the two residential areas (one of them flown over in the YouTube video) off but attached to the mainland? In Google Earth the developments look like enormous palm trees (?) from a high enough altitude.

Your right, they are even named as palm trees.

https://earth.google.com/web/@25.02807002,55.17338225,30.71529417a,57328.24709033d,35y,0h,0t,0r

8 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

The 360 video left me a little baffled in terms of how the camera(s) were affixed to the gyro copter, since a support pole is missing. Maybe they used multiple cameras to produce the 360 video and the support pole was dropped out via post processing of separate video (?).

True 360° videos are shot with two or more lenses. The separate video strips are then stitched together in software and usually the stitching hides the camera attachment because it is hard to achieve perfect stitching. If you look closely you can see that the guys' arms and shirts look weird and transparent at times and this is due to an imperfect stitching border. Technique is evolving just like with EUCs and I think you can get much better results with newer cameras and software than this 1.5 year old clip.

I think the gyrocopter is a Cavalon, if anyone is interested.

5 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

So.....If they had used a 360fly, which has only one lens and shoots seamless 360 video, the pole would have been visible.

I guess... if the pole is not within the blind spot that this camera apparently has.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

If I only had $1.6 to 24 million USD lying around... :w00t2:

I thought you were the handy one for that? But hey, you can use mine. 24 million copies is all it takes:

Spoiler

HunkaBuck.jpg.4db29d449eaaee3b4c855eeffa7dca8a.jpg

9 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Here is one of my 360fly video links

Yes, I enjoy your 360's -- it's great that you can pan around and even zoom when viewing full screen.

10 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I remember watching a documentary on the construction of the Palm islands

Wow....a great video from the past....I watched the first few minutes (only).

When I looked at the gyroscope flight video of the over flight of the Palm Island one of the first thoughts that came to mind was waste water and sewage handling (uckk).

The area along the Atlantic coast where I live had a High School lecture by a civil engineer back around 1970. It was to discuss constructing waste water treatment plants before piping the treated water several miles out to sea for 'dumping'. There is one particular beach in the community not far away that gets a problematic 'red tide' (algae) bloom almost year round (especially) in warmer summer weather. They use heavy equipment to physically remove the top inch or so of red tide plus sand to allow beach use in the warmer weather. At its worst the two mile beach is almost half unusable because of red tide. The continuum of of high population density communities and or high rise buildings along the shore potentially dumps large amounts of phosphates (detergents in washing soap)  and other chemicals into the sea. Unlike the Palm Island the continuum of high density suburban areas makes it hard for the pollution aspect of shore side housing to be clean and pure by way of natural dilution in the ocean. At another level is the lobster fishing impact along New England. Some studies indicate a decline in lobster populations (south of Cape Cod) to be the result of changes in temperature or changes in the local chemical environment to very young lobsters which survive on the bottom sand and rocks.

I suppose that if they have the kind of capital required to construct the Palm Islands (a local high density population area within a larger low density population area) that constructing appropriate waste water treatment facilities is built into the construction design. But still....three miles of level pipe must present a civil engineering challenge in terms of sanitation. I guess waste water treatment in the Palm Islands is like having air conditioning in Florida....you just can't live a decent livable life without it.

Where there's a will there's a way!  With huge money backing a project like that and international eyes on them, it's probably pretty certain someone has engineered an effective way to take care of waste.  Then again there was The Harmon... :rolleyes: whoops!

https://gizmodo.com/vegas-is-tearing-down-the-empty-hotel-that-never-opened-1573647365

I also watched a documentary on some huge waterpark wavepool project I think in Mexico or the Middle East where the general contractor was pulling out his hair trying to get the project done due to tons of setbacks.  Suppliers welded pipes incorrectly, workers didn't show up for work on time, and contruction mistakes created for a huge headache for the construction team.  It is amazing people are able to do these mega-projects.  This one is also astounding...

Have you seen the Marina Bay Sands hotel?  Simply amazing...

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:09 AM, Bob Eisenman said:

There is one particular beach in the community not far away that gets a problematic 'red tide' (algae) bloom almost year round (especially) in warmer summer weather.

I snapped a quick high tide photo (while rolling to Boston) of the October swath of red tide that accumulates along the inland stretch of Lynn Nahant beach. In warmer weather the algae growth extends out about 3/4 mile on the beach which also has a low tide profile which is hundreds of feet wide. The direct exposure of algae to sunlight causes it to rot and smell in warmer weather. Farther out towards Nahant Island where the water is relatively algae free I've watched people undergoing a whole body baptismal in waist deep sea water! 

52101.jpg

The ocean waters off shore where I've gone scuba diving around the 1990's have generally good visibility. Here is a deep water dive class shot of another classmate down around 60 feet taken off the local coast. The shot of the case on a rope below the surface was from one of my last dives. I took a charter to a wwi wreck (USS San Diego) that sank off Fire Island on Long Island, NY.  You can imagine what floating next to the upside down wreck hull at 70 fsw was like as it extends beyond the stern out of sight to the bow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_California_(ACR-6)

Another group of divers went in search of artifacts. The box in the right photo contained 3 inch gun shells from the wrecks ammo room. Another diver used a hammer to knock off the tracer head of each shell, pouring the no longer explosive gunpowder into the sea and keeping the brass shell case. I of course went to the other end of the boat after someone said the use of the hammer was completely safe. The photo is of the dangling case beneath a 'lift bag' at the 15 foot decompression depth. Silly me aborted the dive at 100 fsw when I started top hyperventilate from exerting my self too much to keep up with a dive buddy.

52104.jpg

It's all oil money, and as solar panels and electric vehicles turn every home into a mini-energy factory, I envision a future, quite soon, whereby those middle-east constructs won't be very relevant at all. Since most of those projects require constant energy to maintain, I see them being these huge abandoned structures.

Historically, resource rich countries that didn't develop gradually but instead went from poor to rich overnight always seem to invest in these huge "man against nature" projects rather than in human capital, and end up even worse than before once their resource dries up or becomes obsolete.

If one were to look at the rate of adoption of solar and wind, and assume (big f======g assumption) a log curve, then independence from oil seems to be around 2030-2035. Actually within our lifetimes.

I don't know if that's a good thing in the short run. One can see the middle east dissolving into war, blowing up their oil fields by accident or negligence, and generally causing a whole lot of mischief even as they become irrelevant. They might dwarf the present migratory hords. Although, from what I gather, most Germans are all in favor of bringing in another 800 million migrants from the south.

19 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Although, from what I gather, most Germans are all in favor of bringing in another 800 million migrants from the south

Migrants.....something that  (I've read) most of the EU feels and deals with but is hardly felt or only administratively dealt with here in the states. 

Oil...and gasoline...the hype is that in the US we are overproducing oil in Texas with new fracture techniques (water and sand intensive)..... but the demand for 'cheap' gasoline really is seen with each and every rush hour. Or to get a $10 pizza delivered costs a real amount of gasoline by the delivery guy. 

Archived