KS16S tail light problem

Christoph Zens

I noticed a strange problem with the tail light on the KS16S the other day: Since the lights turn on much too late when set to automatic, I usually press the power button briefly to put them to manual ON when I need them. This causes the front light to turn on, but not the tail light. It stays OFF, until it is dark enough to turn on by itself. The brake light functions normally. Anyone else experiencing this? I am running the latest firmware.

This seems to be a bug, which should be corrected ASAP, since there is a requirement where I live to have both front and tail lights ON, when it is getting dark. Another solution would be to make the automatic setting adjustable, such that the user could set the turn on point to a reasonable light level (when the lights are required to be seen by others, even though I do not yet need them to see where I'm going).

This seems to be a general Asian thing. Whenever I drive a car in Japan, I have the same problem. Automatic lights turn on much too late. Everyone is driving without lights until they need them to see where they are going. Being seen by others is not a concern, apparently. Also, when stopping at a red light, they turn their lights OFF and sit in front of the intersection without lights! Talk about strange behavior. My wife says, that's done by courtesy to avoid bothering others with bright lights. :facepalm:

Perhaps as a quick fix you could put a clear tape on the light sensor and partially ink it black. Then the wheel will think that it’s darker than it actually is.

That sounds annoying, the lights should both turn on when using the manual switch.  As a work around, you could put a piece of black tape over the light sensor, but then the lights would be on all the time the wheel is on.

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2017 at 5:11 AM, mrelwood said:

Perhaps as a quick fix you could put a clear tape on the light sensor and partially ink it black. Then the wheel will think that it’s darker than it actually is.

That's exactly what I did with my KS14C. I put some semi-transparent tape on the sensor and then dotted the tape with a black magic marker until I got the light to go on at the right light level. Works great!

https://imgur.com/JV5QbGv

I have used black tape to cover the sensor completely on the day 1 of the KS16S use.  As wheel offer ZERO protection against any collision proper visibility is the key.  I usually ride with a lot of reflective materials on me, and high visibility T shirt or ENDURA  Luminite II jacket, with side lights set into blue and red. This works well. I frequently have situations when I approach the street crossing all cars stop and give the way...

I stuck this on the top/back of my KS16.

Bodyguard Bike Tail Light-USB Charging,(Red, Blue, Pink)3 Color Changing, 6 Modes, Waterproof & Lightweight.High Intensity Bike Rear Helmet Light Fits on any Bicycles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7FVTU0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_p5ygAbJANXEZ3

I have two, I believe one pointed down to the ground would reflect red light quite well but I haven't installed the 2nd light yet.

Archived