Charge Doctor

Nick R

Not sure what you did, but if you really went into calibration mode (not adjustment mode) and changed something, you fucked up the CD and it would only be usable by re-calibrating it using sensitive electrical measuring equipment. Calibration mode is just for that, calibrating the CD so when it shows some number (voltage, current, whatever), it really is that number in reality, for real. If you changed anything in calibration mode, the numbers the CD shows are wrong because you told him they are, while it has been perfectly calibrated before shipping.

Should have read the instructions :efeed51798: :efeee20b79::efeed51798: (or at least read the part where I told you "don't do that!")

If you didn't change anything in calibration mode, the rest of your description looks good. "Off" means just that - the CD is off as it has reached an auto-shutdown threshold.

But now I'm not sure if your "64V" are actually 64V or you miscalibrated the CD beforehand...

But in the worst case, you can still check when the CD stops charging and what battery % that gives you, and adjust the auto-shutdown voltage, which isn't the real voltage if you mis-calibrated the thing - but anyways, as long as you can set it so it gives you any desired battery percentage, you still got what you wanted.

--

The cable is for reading data from the doctor to a computer, if you want to make nice charging curves or whatever. You don't need it.

I wouldn't consider the percentage shown in the wheel app as ground truth. In all likelihood the app measures voltage and computes from this a percentage.

I have read that any 1.6V less doubles the number of cycles for the same wear. On the other hand, you probably don't care to double 4000 cycles into 8000 cycles, given you can drive 100000km already with 4000 cycles.

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

it would only be usable by re-calibrating it using sensitive electrical measuring equipment.

AFAICS, knowing the voltage of the charger would do for recalibration :)

17 hours ago, Nick R said:

ok.. It was confusing.. but I think I got it. 

I held more than 5 Secs to put it back to calibration mode and reset the initial voltage back to 67.2
then power it off. Restarted it again.. now it comes up 67.2 ... 

then power it on again.  held this time less than 5 S. 
let it go into PR2 mode and UP V .... This is where you say to wait until it goes back to screen 1 where I can set my cut off voltage. 
I was confused at first because pressing it takes up the voltage.. not down ( I want to go to 64V). But keep pressing it .. it went off the scale then restarted it at 0 so I was able to get it to 64V.  Then I unplugged. 

Now I think I have the cutoff set at 64V. 

With the quick check via the app.. my wheel is now at 93% and 64.7V 
So when I plug in the charger now, the CD shows  OFF .. 
I assume it is not charging since my wheel battery is currently already greater than my cut off 64V mark. 

bat.jpg

So first charge... I set it to 64V and when it stopped, the app shows battery at 76%
I adjusted it to 64.5V cutoff and now ... when it goes off.. app shows right at 80% 

On 2017-10-10 at 11:42 PM, Mono said:

AFAICS, knowing the voltage of the charger would do for recalibration :)

The charger does not necessarily output the voltage printed on it, but if you measure it you could recalibrate. 

I have fucked up my charge doc by the way. I did not have the manual at hand and just made some random fiddling based on some vague resemblance that turned out to be terribly incorrect. But thanks to a multimeter,  cables and some support from @hobby16, it's now recalibrated again. Btw, the multimeter was not some super "sensitive equipment", just a pretty ordinary one. But to me it's not that important if the charging is shutoff when the battery is charged to 75% or 80%, so I don't care very much about that.

I have made short movie with basic functionality of CHARGE DOCTOR - very clever device which allows to control the battery charging process well.

•  Increase Your KS16S unicycle battery life 6 times or more!
  •  Charge the wheel twice as quickly (if You have second charger)!
  •  Monitor the charging process! 

Li-Ion cells used in the unicycles can withstand many more charging cycles if operated between 30% and 90% of their capacity - this means that You can charge them even 3000 times instead of 500 times. Please read full manual on the producer page for full details, this is basic information only. Please subscribe to my channel. I strongly advise to buy and use the charge doctor - please get it from the producer - web page: http://hobby16.neowp.fr/buy/

On 10/16/2017 at 9:09 PM, Lukasz said:

I have made short movie with basic functionality of CHARGE DOCTOR - very clever device which allows to control the battery charging process well.

•  Increase Your KS16S unicycle battery life 6 times or more!
  •  Charge the wheel twice as quickly (if You have second charger)!
  •  Monitor the charging process! 

Li-Ion cells used in the unicycles can withstand many more charging cycles if operated between 30% and 90% of their capacity - this means that You can charge them even 3000 times instead of 500 times. Please read full manual on the producer page for full details, this is basic information only. Please subscribe to my channel. I strongly advise to buy and use the charge doctor - please get it from the producer - web page: http://hobby16.neowp.fr/buy/

Very cool. Thank you. 
I have figured it out.. but this clip will be very useful for a lot of people.  
In my experience... I set the cut off at 64.5V on the 67.2 CD and my battery is right at 80%

From what I've read.. seems everybody suggested 80% cut off. 
Any reason why you chose 95% ? 

Archived