First wheel for commuting e+, s2, v5f

Kunta88

Hello!

i’m new in the forum, but have already spent like 2 weeks reading all I could.

I want to buy my first EUC mainly to commute. I‘m 1.93 and 92kg and I would like a 20-25km range and a possible average of 22-25km/h.

My commute is about 10-15km each way, it depends on the route I’m taking, but I can charge it at work.

I really love the ninebot one s2 look, but I do like the v5f too. I’ve been reading a lot of threads about them, and I’m hesitating.

About the price, I can buy all of them with little differences.

Thank you in advance!!

13 minutes ago, Kunta88 said:

Hello!

I want to buy my first EUC mainly to commute. I‘m 1.93 and 92kg and I would like a 20-25km range and a possible average of 22-25km/h.

My commute is about 10-15km each way, it depends on the route I’m taking, but I can charge it at work.

I really love the ninebot one s2 look, but I do like the v5f too. I’ve been reading a lot of threads about them, and I’m hesitating.

Thank you in advance!!

For 1,93 and 92 kg i would not go for the mentioned 14inch wheels! Also 14inch is not perfect for commuting at all, as smaller wheels tell you every bump...

Then: NOW you think 22kmh is a nice Speed...but right after getting comfortable on the wheel, you suffer for more Speed.

I would better go with a more powerfull wheel like ACM or KS16S, seams a much better choice for what you want to do with it.

That's very similar to my spec's and daily ride.

My first choice (not knowing if I would like EUC's at all) was the Inmotion V3. That very quickly told me I loved EUC's and that it was too small and slow.

Now, on my KS16S, I am very happy. I had an issue with my new KS16S, but it was quickly resolved with local dealer and probably a rare instance. I really like the design and feel of it, it rides very similarly to my neighbor's ninebot.

I would definitely go with at least a 16" tire.

I have two 14 inch wheels, the vf5 and the KS14c, and I have ridden the KS14d; 14 inchers are pretty bad for commuting if you're just trying to go quickly. 14 inchers get caught in bumps pretty easily.

I'd go with at least a 16 inchers, or an 18 incher is even better, perhaps much better if you don't have to lift the wheel.

23 hours ago, Kunta88 said:

Hello!

Thank you in advance!!

The Ninebot One E+ is still a great first wheel and worth buying at a discount, but there is no way you will achieve 20-25km range at 22-25km/h unless you carry a spare battery and modify the shell (easy to do – check the Ninebot and Mods sections). I average only can occasionally get 10 miles (about 15km) per battery at near top speed, and thus carry two spares most of the time.

I weigh ~170/78 with extra batteries and pack. My primary battery is over 18 months old, and the two spares are about a year old. My wheel has over 3,000km. If I accelerate hard and ride aggro at tiltback, I now get only 7-10km. If accelerating mildly to near top speed, I can reach 10-13km on average, with a max range around 15km under modest conditions. 

Clarification: updated numbers to reflect the age of the wheel, batteries and memory.

Edit2: Ninebot One E+ prices are still high at the moment. Factoring in the high cost of spare batteries presently (307EUR from Speedyfeet for the 340wh P Battery + shipping), as well as the increased cost of the wheel (650EUR base/775EUR w/VAT + shipping), the NB1E+ does not offer good value for money for your use case. I paid less than half the current prices for my setup (new).

Yeah... that’s something I’ve not said! I was looking for something about 600-700€ range! But looking at the ks16s, it’s at least the double! ?

it’s going to be my first wheel, so i don’t even know if I like it or if it suits my needs...

BTW, as I said before, a 16-17km range would be ok for now, as I can charge the wheel at work!

@Kunta88 have you looked at the IPS Xima Lhotz?  IPS  claims 30kmh speed  and 40 km range, the range is for a light rider at medium speed, but riding at 22-24 kmh you would probably have plenty of range.  It is an older design, but several people on this forum have them and say good things.  It is a 16 inch tire, a wide tire, 2.5 inches I think.  Here is a link  https://www.ipselectricunicycle.com/product/ips191-ips-xima-lhotz-340wh-one-wheel/

It seems impossible to find a local distributor in Spain for the IPS Xima Lhotz. What about the ninebot e+? Will I be able to make 15km range with it?

Is it worth to buy the IPS online? Or better buy the e+ at a local seller?

There is an IPS  seller in Malta, but the price is 900 euro.  The ninebot e+ will certainly make 15km range, but you might have to ride at less than full speed.  The ninebot might be just too small of speed and range for your requirements.  The IPS has a similar sized battery, but claims higher speed and range.  The advice to get a wheel with bigger battery is good, but the price goes up for the wheels with bigger batteries.  You might contact IPS Malta for more advice.  Here is a link:

http://pcrsmalta.com/IPS3/node/1

13 minutes ago, Kunta88 said:

I’ve found the inmotion v8 brand new for a good price, and then the kingsong ks16b used, with 900km for a little less than the v8. And they give me 1year warranty...

what do you think it’s better?

what is the good price? 

1 hour ago, Kunta88 said:

I’ve found the inmotion v8 brand new for a good price, and then the kingsong ks16b used, with 900km for a little less than the v8. And they give me 1year warranty...

what do you think it’s better?

Should be both nice wheels. Main difference is imho weight vs range...

Imho the ks16b was aailable with many different battrry configurations. So this could relativate the decission again.

On 9.10.2017 at 11:41 PM, steve454 said:

@Kunta88 have you looked at the IPS Xima Lhotz?  IPS  claims 30kmh speed  and 40 km range, the range is for a light rider at medium speed, but riding at 22-24 kmh you would probably have plenty of range.  It is an older design, but several people on this forum have them and say good things.  It is a 16 inch tire, a wide tire, 2.5 inches I think.  Here is a link  https://www.ipselectricunicycle.com/product/ips191-ips-xima-lhotz-340wh-one-wheel/

After now a full year and 1300 km of Lhotz owning, most of the time with the extended battery, I'd say there are better options nowadays. The Lhotz is very soft, not very powerful and forget the 30 kph... at 80 kg myself I can cruise at max 26 kph, but that's with beeps blaring all the time once you're above 23 kph. At the mentioned 1,93 and 92 kg, the battery will last for about 10 km in cold weather if you push it to the beeps continuously. In the warmer climate in Spain you should get a little more out of it.

However, the 2,5" tire is an amazing feature no other 16" wheel offers until now. Another really nice thing about the wheel is how quiet it runs. No high frequency whine, and generally pretty low motor noise. The wheel has been very reliable, very few mentions of cut outs or other troubles. Until now, it has never let me down.

As for buying in china, I'd recommend it as long as you are tech interested, know your way around a screwdriver, a soldering iron and a digital multimeter. 

On 9.10.2017 at 11:41 PM, steve454 said:

I can really only advise not to think about the Lhotz!

Slaughthammer has a Lhotz (newest version afaik) and i testdrive it, after coming from a Ks18a (old version)and a V3 67volt.

Really, the Lhotz scared me, and i really struggled not to overlean or overbreak it! Respects to slaughthammer for driving it over 20kmh.

For me it just felt so extremly weak....and that is no bullying...that was just such a big difference to the newer generation wheels!

Really all people that are praising the Lhotz...haven’t been on newer wheel generations from KS or Gw or IM....

So nope...please forget about the Lhotz!!!

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

I can really only advise not to think about the Lhotz!

Slaughthammer has a Lhotz (newest version afaik) and i testdrive it, after coming from a Ks18a (old version)and a V3 67volt.

Really, the Lhotz scared me, and i really struggled not to overlean or overbreak it! Respects to slaughthammer for driving it over 20kmh.

For me it just felt so extremly weak....and that is no bullying...that was just such a big difference to the newer generation wheels!

Really all people that are praising the Lhotz...haven’t been on newer wheel generations from KS or Gw or IM....

So nope...please forget about the Lhotz!!!

@MaxLinux, are you going to take all this Lhotz bashing laying down ;)

44 minutes ago, Kunta88 said:

Is the 680 battery for the ks16b.

the v8 850€ new, and the ks 799 with 900km and 1 year warranty. Is the best i could find...

Both have an 800W motor, built in trolley handle... the V8 is the lighter and slimmer wheel, with the smaller battery. The KS16 is heavier and bulkier, but has quite a bit more of range to offer. In your case, I'd opt for the KS16, as your weight will eat through the V8 battery rather quickly. But apart from that, those are two fine wheels.

@KingSong69: I feel you mistake ride hardness for strength, and are unable to adept to a softer responding wheel. After a bit of getting used to the Lhotz might be soft, but it is in no way as weak as you make it sound. Just because it doesn't provide the hard feeling you require to feel safe doesn't mean you really are close to the limits of the wheel. What I actually like about the soft feeling of the Lhotz is, that by it's softness is able to tell you quite exactly how far you can lean in without overpowering it. This of course requires some driving experience with that particular wheel. You should try a Firewheel, just to get to know how a really soft and mushy wheel fells like.

As an owner of V8 and ACM16 1300, I would not go with any of the V5, etc.  Ride worry free and buy something in the next level (ACM16, KS16, etc.), the bigger the battery the better.

I do hate the exterior handle of my ACM handle, awkward to walk aound...just doesn't feel natural and there are plenty of times when you do need to walk with it.

Archived