Whistle while running

I think you'll find the whistle is caused by the motor and is not a generated noise. Therefore you can only turn it off by turning off the motor. 

Some wheels hum and some whistle, there are a few that are almost silent. That's just the way it is I'm afraid.

Unfortunately I think the GT16 might be one of the loudest whistlers. The open shell contributes to that as well.

To my understanding, all current high power EUC motors whistle. The noise has not yet felt important enough for the designers to tackle, as they are still playing the max power wars. But I'm sure in a few generations the noise will come down.

I was told the KingSong KS-16S is not as loud as the competition, but it was still enough to annoy me. I was able to tame the whistle with sound deadening mass inside the wheel well. It's a permanent modification, and might not work as well on the open GT16.

3 hours ago, Robert Hoffmann said:

Yeah, I don't like that high pitched sound either. Was wondering if it's actually the motor or the mosfets ?

After a couple of days of riding I got totally used to it. The source of the noise was discussed here: 

including @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's idea of dipping the coils in resin (the term "varnish" is also popularly used). It could be a nice experiment... but I'm not sure if I'd like to take the risk of ruining the motor (and potentially myself by extension of motor's failure).

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-10-10 at 1:46 PM, Tomek said:

After a couple of days of riding I got totally used to it. The source of the noise was discussed here: 

including @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's idea of dipping the coils in resin (the term "varnish" is also popularly used). It could be a nice experiment... but I'm not sure if I'd like to take the risk of ruining the motor (and potentially myself by extension of motor's failure).

There is a resin that is actually in brushless motors to silence the coils. But applying it would be a real pain, and it could have another consequence that may not be that wonderful - heat dissipation problems. As things stand, a brushless motor is not very good at shedding heat. The only physical contact between stator and the outside shell of the motor are the bearings. The shaft is of course connected to the pedal arms too, but having looked inside the motor, I can say that the ways out for heat are minuscule.

We're lucky they're so efficient, if just a little more of the power got lost and generated heat instead of momentum, we would fry our wheels at the drop of a hat.

• 4 months later...

Archived