Kingsong 16s 1000km review

electricpen

I have finally crossed the 1000km mark on my first wheel, the KS-16s. I have been riding around 2 months and have learned a lot in that short time. This review is going to consider the various use cases one might have for the wheel and talk about my experiences in various scenarios.

I primarily use the wheel as a commuter tool to get to school and back. This is a 7 mile trip on a fairly long/steep hill. I live at the top of the hill so I climb the hill at the end of the day when going home. I have also taken it on group rides, used it to deliver for a courier service, and used it as my only mode of transit in the city for the last 2 months.

As a commuter wheel it has a great blend of maneuverability, speed, stability, and size/weight. It has enough range to get you around a dense city like NYC or San Francisco without any issues and enough speed to keep up with most non-car traffic. I generally beat buses in the city to their destinations since they have to stop so often to drop/pick up passengers. It is light enough to carry up some stairs if needed and small enough to stash under your table in a restaurant or classroom. It is my current go-to wheel for getting around town and performs well in that capacity.

But... as I've ridden more I realize that the wheel is actually a compromise on all these factors. While it is a good size, I have found it is a bit cumbersome in tight, crowded restaurants. The elevator broke in my building at school which means I have to climb 8 flights of stairs every day while carrying this wheel - that is pretty challenging. On group rides with Monsters and Msupers I definitely could use a bit more speed/range. The Mten 3 crushes it in maneuverability and size. So it is not a perfect wheel by any means but it is definitely a great blend of all these characteristics.

I have crashed the wheel twice at top speed. Once early on when my confidence was greater than my skill level and I hit a manhole cover that was recessed into the street about 1 inch that sent me flying. Another time I hit an unpainted speed bump on an unfamiliar road that I didn't see. Despite at least 2 direct full speed impacts into the street curb the wheel still rides just as well as when I first got it. It definitely looks worse for wear and the case is literally held together by duct tape on one side now but that doesn't stop me from enjoying riding it each and every time I leave the house.

I start getting early tiltbacks once the battery dips below around 30%. I wish this was a bit lower but I suppose it is a nice, safe, conservative number. I have kept records of the miles I have gotten out of each charge and tried to calculate the WH/mile for my weight/riding style/location/temperature. But in the course of doing so I feel like the battery % reading in the app may not be 100% accurate so I'm not sure how much value there is in it. The section of the battery from 100%-80% lasts a lot longer than the chunk between 50%-30%. I consume anywhere from 22-30 Wh per mile. So if I am planning that gives me an effective range of ~19 miles before it starts to slow down and another 3-4 miles before it turns into a ninebot. So actual practical use range for me is approximately 20 miles. This is plenty for commuting but is a little on the weak side for day trips and leisure rides with big groups. You can eat up the battery in a little over an hour in those scenarios.

If I didn't have to climb 8 floors of stairs I think I would commute to class on an 18-inch wheel like the Msuper or one of the upcoming 18" wheels such as the ninebot Z10 or KS-18L. If they don't fix the elevator I will need to seriously consider commuting on the Mten. Or maybe I'll just keep using the KS and tell myself my shoulders and legs are going to be amazing soon.

Anyways I know the 16s is a popular wheel and I thought I'd chime in with my thoughts going from absolute beginner to at least intermediate in a very short time period while really relying on the wheel for all my transportation. If anyone has any other questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Nice review.  The KS 16S would get my vote for best overall wheel, if there was such a vote. 

I've come to realize that every wheel is a compromise.  Your experience having to drag your KS16S up 8 flights of stairs being an example of the downside to ever larger battery capacities.  I want to upgrade to an 18 inch, but I'm conscious of what I'll be sacrificing to do so. 

The MSuper V3s is just 10 or so pounds heavier than the KS16s, it feels much heavier because you can only carry it by the handle instead of two-handed like the KS16. This makes a big difference as you aren't leaning to one side. I'm sure the "compromises" you speak of is the reason most (all?) of us have several sized wheels, and 16 inchers seem to hit those compromises better than most other wheels.

While wheels are certainly far more dangerous that bicycles (wheel's real competitors), they do have the advantage of easily going up hills and arriving at your destination with little physical effort. Imagine doing your commute with a bicycle!

Except for that 8 flights of steps. Might want to talk to your landlord about that one.

• 10 months later...

I am a beginner in use of Euc and my first unicycle will be the KS-16s (waiting to arrive). Have choosen it for the 16 inch and the large 840 wh battery. Also from other's perspective it is a good forgiving mistakes unicycle. Your review and use description is one more reason to gain confidens on the on ks-16s to start with it and after to look for upgrade. Thanks for your info happy traveling.

Archived