Changing tyre GT16

I've always been thinking you should be able to fold open a wheel like a book.

One shell half would be permanently connected to the motor/tire assembly, the other half would have a bolt or so affixing it to the motor. So you could open that bolt (toolless), and fold the wheel open (hinge on top, in the handle, or so) to get quick and complete access to the motor/tire (also for cleaning). The folded open half would only have a battery cable going to the rest of the wheel, and the (stable) hinge, so nothing has to be disassembled or can break.

If you develop a clever outer rim exchange "click" mechanism (again, toolless), this would even allow having different tires (general purpose/road, mountainbike style, specialty tires like with shovels for sand or gravel, or with metal spikes for ice) readily fixed on their rims, so you could quickly and without tools (also no need for an air pump) exchange different tire+rim assemblies. Open bolt, fold open, unclick old rim+tire, click the new one in place, fold closed, close bolt. 30 seconds for a complete tire exchange.

On 2017/10/17 at 2:02 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

i wonder when these EUC manufacturers will be able to incorporate a water-tight, sealed two piece (or one piece?) shell that is permanently sealed/glued/siliconed together that is able to slide down over the pedal supports and be bolted on with bolts or a quick-release mechanism.  With one plug like the Ninebot One E+, it would be a matter of disconnecting one cable, undoing some bolts, and then sliding the entire case off the wheel. 

They could make a channel to allow the shell to slide down over the cabling so no threading is necessary.  If they need more support there after the shell is mounted, a bracket cover could be installed under the cable.   That way one would not need to deal with seams leaking, water ingress, etc.  I know some wheels like the KS14 can be slid off the wheel fairly easily, but I don't think they are totally waterproofed.  One drawback is if people damage one side and want to replace only that side it would make things difficult.  But still, shell casings are usually sold as a set so this might be a moot point.

Also if they made the pedal supports longer with an extended part above the axle mount, that would provide some more lateral support to the casing for one legged riding or crashes.  It wouldn't need to be as thick as the lower part which is more stress bearing.  Eh, don't mind me - just thinking out loud.  :rolleyes:

I think it's a good and different idea what you say but for the limit of technogy can't effectuation.I think it  changes and upgrade step by step.As the history of airplane  and car development it pays more than half of century to perfect.High tech is changing in every moment.I am appricate you always have fantastic idea ,Maybe you can be the poinner leasder if you work and take part to electric unicycle industry.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-10-18 at 10:13 AM, Barry Chen said:

I think it's a good and different idea what you say but for the limit of technogy can't effectuation.I think it  changes and upgrade step by step.As the history of airplane  and car development it pays more than half of century to perfect.High tech is changing in every moment.I am appricate you always have fantastic idea ,Maybe you can be the poinner leasder if you work and take part to electric unicycle industry.

Yes the idea of pedal arms with a continuance upwards is actually pretty brilliant. I suspect it would probably eliminate wheel-case grinding totally.

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/11/2017 at 4:22 PM, Scatcat said:

Yes the idea of pedal arms with a continuance upwards is actually pretty brilliant. I suspect it would probably eliminate wheel-case grinding totally.

Nice idea, but don't most wheels keep their batteries in this location?  I know both of mine do. Pads outside of that, wheel cavity on the inside. 

9 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Nice idea, but don't most wheels keep their batteries in this location?  I know both of mine do. Pads outside of that, wheel cavity on the inside. 

Not the GT16 - its battery is split in two, so there'd actually be room for that. Btw. I'm planning to reinforce mine by placing an aluminium u-profile there, factually extending the pedal arms all the way to the cable-connector-compartment, and placing another piece in the compartment to continue to the controller box.

8 hours ago, Tomek said:

Not the GT16 - its battery is split in two, so there'd actually be room for that. Btw. I'm planning to reinforce mine by placing an aluminium u-profile there, factually extending the pedal arms all the way to the cable-connector-compartment, and placing another piece in the compartment to continue to the controller box.

When you do, please post pictures!

On 11/27/2017 at 8:17 AM, Scatcat said:

@Barry Chen I'm still very curious about what tyre that black GT16 has. It seems to fit good and be just what I'm looking for. Do you know what tyre it is?

I bought an identical tire in a 16x2.5” size for my KS-16S from Yoycart.com. I know CST makes one, but mine is labeled ”SY” with the same font. It is a marvellous tire, especially in 2.5” width, as it is more nimble than the Kenda and Chao Yang 2.5” ones I have, and has a predictable grip even on horrible situations like wet mud or ice. On dirt the grip is great.

Available in several sizes here:

https://www.yoycart.com/Product/520131047656/Electric_bicycle_tire_inner_tube_tire_14

Archived