SoloWheel Xtreme demands extreme riding skills

edwin_rm

Alright, after a couple years of owning the SoloWheel Xtreme, and many other electric unicycles, I gotta say, by far, that the Solowheel is the most difficult to ride, by a very large margin. There is no doubt in my mind that anyone used to riding hard settings on wheels such as GotWay models and similar would not be able to ride my Solowheel, at all.

Why?

Well it's simple, the MASSIVE lean. Accelerating/decelerating, my body leans 45 degrees! Compared to my Gotways which have no lean while moving. Or with King Song which has only like a 5 degree lean, no more.

My Xtreme is very weak compared to my other wheels, such as the GW Mten3 and the GW Monster, but believe me, riding the Xtreme is SCARY. Oh boy... It leans like a motherfucker! Jumping down curbs with this wheel is just off the table.

:ph34r:

3 hours ago, edwin_rm said:

Alright, after a couple years of owning the SoloWheel Xtreme, and many other electric unicycles, I gotta say, by far, that the Solowheel is the most difficult to ride, by a very large margin. There is no doubt in my mind that anyone used to riding hard settings on wheels such as GotWay models and similar would not be able to ride my Solowheel, at all.

Why?

Well it's simple, the MASSIVE lean. Accelerating/decelerating, my body leans 45 degrees! Compared to my Gotways which have no lean while moving. Or with King Song which has only like a 5 degree lean, no more.

My Xtreme is very weak compared to my other wheels, such as the GW Mten3 and the GW Monster, but believe me, riding the Xtreme is SCARY. Oh boy... It leans like a motherfucker! Jumping down curbs with this wheel is just off the table.

:ph34r:

Don't know why this copy from the solowheel website is blacked out but aren't there two riding modes?  SOLOWARE has two versions of balancing software built in. Choose the one that fits the road conditions or your riding style.

On 9/24/2017 at 8:00 PM, steve454 said:

Don't know why this copy from the solowheel website is blacked out but aren't there two riding modes?  SOLOWARE has two versions of balancing software built in. Choose the one that fits the road conditions or your riding style.

I don't know about now, but when I purchased mine in 2015, they were only sold with the default ultra soft ride mode firmware.

I believe it was possible to custom order them with hard mode firmware and higher speed, for a time, then they discontinued that after a client had a bad accident while riding with the hard settings unlocked.

Another thing about SoloWheel... the tiltback! OMG, it doesn't tiltback like the other wheels.... it actually ejects you! It has a crazy wild, dangerous tiltback. :w00t2:

The body lean in itself can't be really different for any given acceleration or braking action. It's more like that you need much more flexibility in the ankles to control the wheel and it doesn't feel like standing on solid ground.

Being used to Gotways and King Song on hard settings I did find the Xtreme that Sam Clegg brought over when he visited very soft to ride.

Not really enjoyable to ride for me, and to my greatest shame I dropped it going off a simple curb, it just didn't seem to get back under me quickly enough to stop me from having to step off forward.

On 9/24/2017 at 4:05 PM, edwin_rm said:

Accelerating/decelerating, my body leans 45 degrees! Compared to my Gotways which have no lean while moving. Or with King Song which has only like a 5 degree lean, no more.

Yeah, the stiffness can really change the riding experience. The Firewheel has a "comfort" mode that sounds a lot like the Extreme, it's WAAAAY to soft and sloppy for me. When I did a rebuild I wired it to "sport" mode which is still not as stiff as my KS-14C.

Archived