Inmotion V3 burned mainboard and battery explosion

Valentin Varan

I have a V3 INMOTION for 2 years. Trying to patch a tube from one of the tyres, in the process of opening

the scooter, I accidentaly touched the motherboard with a screwdriver and burned the electronic moterboard. 
I took the battery and the motherboard out from the carcase in the hope to find out a way to repair it, but in the meantime,

the battery exploded in my garage :( and there was nothing left to attempt any repair!!!

I am trying to order one from INMOTION for more than on year, but I get no answer. I come here in this forum with the hope

to find somebody that has a damaged V3 and has the battery and the motherboard still intact. 
Thank you in advance for your answers!!!

Edited by esaj

I don't have an Inmotion or parts for it, but I'd be interested to know if you have any idea why the battery exploded? You took the mainboard and the battery out from the wheel, but did you still leave them connected... do you think the battery could have been still shorted over the mainboard? I guess the BMS safeties are either very lacking, or got burned in the initial short and the battery remained shorted, causing it to heat up and finally explode.

A good reminder for everyone to be careful with the batteries, even "empty" ones (unless the cells are totally dead at 0V, they can still hold enough charge to cause a fire or explode).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Valentin Varan said:

to find somebody that has a damaged V3 and has the battery and the motherboard still intact. 
Thank you in advance for your answers!!!

I cannot emphasise enough what @esaj  and @Scatcat said above. There are absolutely massive amounts of power in these batteries. Significant voltages and low enough internal resistance that instantaneous current can be well above arc welder levels. At the very least serious burns to yourself can occur, at worst you could burn your house down.

These batteries also are not easily put out if they do catch fire as they are capable of releasing oxygen whilst burning. Surprisingly, considering you will be dealing with an electrical fire, the advice airlines give their staff if this happens in a 'plane is to use water as your aim is to get temperature down and prevent the heat passing from cell to cell causing a cascade of explosions and fires.

You should always isolate the battery before working on anything and take the greatest care not to short anything. One great danger is that a short could weld itself thus making it impossible to remove the short. I'll never forget seeing a pair of pliers ( for some reason called 81's in British Telecom!) accidentally welded to a telephone exchange bus bar and that's only 50V lead acid batteries - bloody great big ones - but only 50V!

As to replacing the battery and control board, do consider that you cannot be sure that the short did not also put a massive current through one of the motor windings (unless you had disconnected those) so it is possible a motor coil might also be damaged - probably unlikely, but possible.

Edited by Keith
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@Valentin Varan, sorry to hear about the problem with your wheel.  Like @Scatcat, I too have sorta "outgrown" my V3S and am considering to sell it. I've since got a KS16B 680wh. and ride it more than the V3S now. It deserves better.   My V3S is now over 1 1/2 yrs old, and still reliable.  If any questions feel free to pm me, otherwise best of luck with whatever you do. Most importantly, get back to riding!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Were you able to fix yours?  Hate to sound like a vulture, but if not maybe I could buy a part off you.  My V3 sucked a rock up inside while riding and demolished my extending handle assembly.  It only goes up halfway and will soon fail.  I am having trouble finding a replacement, if you are parting yours let me know.

• 2 years later...

I hope everything is fine, and the house and family are safe .... I have been thinking about this issue in my head for a long time in case it ever happens.

On 23/9/2017 at 14:45, Valentin Varan said:

Tengo un V3 INMOTION desde hace 2 años. Tratando de parchear una cámara de uno de los neumáticos, en proceso de apertura.

el scooter, accidentalmente toqué la placa base con un destornillador y quemé la placa electrónica. 
Saqué la batería y la placa base de la carcasa con la esperanza de encontrar una forma de repararla, pero mientras tanto,

¡La batería explotó en mi garaje :( y no quedó nada para intentar repararlo!

Estoy intentando pedir uno a INMOTION durante más de un año, pero no obtengo respuesta. Vengo aquí en este foro con la esperanza

para encontrar a alguien que tenga un V3 dañado y que la batería y la placa base aún estén intactas. 
Gracias de antemano por sus respuestas !!!

I'm going to buy these balls and put them in the garage, there are already several electronic devices that I have and I feel afraid

Screenshot_20211005-112526.jpg