one-wheel unicycle hybrid?

t0me

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 12:41 PM, t0me said:

is there such a thing?

Foot stands front and rear as well as side to side,   make em flip out of the way when not in use and you can choose how you want to ride.  

I had the same thought and wondered if it could be possible.  But, the One-wheel works because of the massively wide tyre preventing side to side toppling.  With a typical EUC tyre width how on earth would you get on the thing and get up to a high enough speed that the gyroscopic force would keep you from falling over?  I don't think this is possible.

lol savage!

Can't see how it would be much more of a learning curve (x2) to the standard unicycle setup.    If I had one I'd give it a crack.   The possibilities for riding style options and tricks would be worth the extra learning.

12 hours ago, t0me said:

lol savage!

Can't see how it would be much more of a learning curve (x2) to the standard unicycle setup.    If I had one I'd give it a crack.   The possibilities for riding style options and tricks would be worth the extra learning.

It's a nice idea but try really thinking this through.  The laws of physics are the issue here.  Picture yourself getting on the wheel with the foot pedals in front and back configuration.  Now how do you plan on preventing the unit from falling over sideways while you mount it and attempt to get up to speed?  Unless your tyre is as wide and flat as the One-Wheel, your EUC will fall over immediately.  It would probably be doable on one of those dual wheel EUCs like the Inmotion V3 Pro.

I disagree,   leans against the pedal,  step on the pedal on the ground,  step up and ur away,   not terribly much different to the balance required to mount side to side,

People put boards on hard balls and stand on them in the circus right?    Not columns,  balls,  so,  little difference to a wheel.   Could it be a fatter smaller wheel, of course,   rounder than a standard onewheel wheel to allow for good turning when side mounted.   
It might be a platform all the way around,  with markers to show front/back.    

I can picture what you're saying,  I can picture it able to be overcome.   
There are already many people riding thin wheel onewheel's successfully.
eg.   

On 25/09/2017 at 8:38 AM, t0me said:

I disagree,   leans against the pedal,  step on the pedal on the ground,  step up and ur away,  

How would this work on an euc that is turned on and does everything it can to avoid your front/back pedal to go to the ground?

On 22/09/2017 at 6:41 PM, t0me said:

is there such a thing?

Foot stands front and rear as well as side to side,   make em flip out of the way when not in use and you can choose how you want to ride.  

How about this?

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/10-inch-two-Wheels-Smart-Balance-Electric-Scooter-Standing-Smart-wheel-Hoverboard-Skateboard-Motorized-Adult-Roller/32522501499.html?scm=1007.13441.76633.0&amp%3Bpvid=5b410e71-34be-4597-bf98-e7d7a4d544e5&amp%3Btpp=1

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 2:38 AM, t0me said:

I disagree,   leans against the pedal,  step on the pedal on the ground,  step up and ur away,   not terribly much different to the balance required to mount side to side,

People put boards on hard balls and stand on them in the circus right?    Not columns,  balls,  so,  little difference to a wheel.   Could it be a fatter smaller wheel, of course,   rounder than a standard onewheel wheel to allow for good turning when side mounted.   
It might be a platform all the way around,  with markers to show front/back.    

I can picture what you're saying,  I can picture it able to be overcome.   
There are already many people riding thin wheel onewheel's successfully.
eg.   

I think it is quite different to a side by side pedal configuration EUC.  In the video that wheel is absolutely minute, so of course it's easier to balance, despite the thin wheel, as the feet are so low to the ground.  On a 16 inch EUC it's going to be hard.   Don't get me wrong, I would love something like this as I often miss the stance I rode my electric longboards with and prefer that to the standing facing forward stance of an EUC.  But on a full size EUC, I think mounting, dismounting and riding slowly are going to be really hard.  The COG is just so high on EUCs.  The device in your video clearly does not operate like a normal EUC.  It is not self-balancing until after he has mounted it and he begins to lean forward.  Having a standard EUC with optional front and rear pedals will not work technologically unless you can switch to a different mode of operation for the self-balancing in each configuration.  Otherwise, when you rest one foot on a pedal it will want to take off in that direction immediately.  You have to put your body weight on one pedal first, at which point the EUC will begin to accelerate, and then you must try to stand up and get the other foot on the other pedal while the EUC is accelerating away.  I just don't think that's physically possible.  The One-wheel gets around the side to side balance problem by having the tyre incredibly wide and flat so the rider does not need to try to balance.

11 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

That's a clone of the "hoverboard".  It's supposed to be difficult and strenuous to ride from what I have heard owners say, because of that side to side balance issue.

Pressure sensors on footpads?   Maybe only allow power if there's weight on opposite points on the deck? 
Or maybe just manual remote hand control like on skateboards (usually)?

Where there's a will - and a demand,  there's a way (usually - still waiting for my true hoverboard,  personal flying backpack,  and teleporter).

Seemed like an inevitable evolution when I first thought of it.    

Archived