Rocky, living where you do, I think it's eminently sensible to think about self-defense situations that might present on the street.  I hope you never have to use those skills to defend yourself or your wife, but it's definitely better to have the capacity for self-defense when you don't need it than to need it when you don't have it.  We all need to be ambassadors for this hobby and leave the people we encounter with a positive impression.  But none of us needs to be a victim 

7 hours ago, radial said:

Rocky, living where you do, I think it's eminently sensible to think about self-defense situations that might present on the street.  I hope you never have to use those skills to defend yourself or your wife, but it's definitely better to have the capacity for self-defense when you don't need it than to need it when you don't have it.  We all need to be ambassadors for this hobby and leave the people we encounter with a positive impression.  But none of us needs to be a victim 

Inevitably people ask about the price of the MiniPro.  My wife has a more ready answer than I do: $600 from Amazon.  Some chit chat usually follows.  Always fun and interesting to talk to strangers and we enjoy it as part of the Segway experience.

We each have on ourselves the equivalent of thousands of dollars that could be thought of as easy targets.

On me is a $600 phone, $350 Watch, $160 AirPods, $600 MiniPro and few hundred in miscellaneous.

Soon, an iPhone will be a $1,000 item to carry.  Occasionally, I will carry a $600 iPad and extra iPhone.

My clothes won’t be taken but could get torn. That could be a few hundred more.

Health and emotional injury costs is unthinkable.

I don’t live in the Los Angeles of Blade Runner 2049, but it’s smart to be street smart.

A $30 to $100 umbrella and knowing how to use it seems like a convenient counter balance.