This thread, where someone was attacked while riding, affected my thoughts on safety and self protection.

Whether riding or walking, all of us may have encountered unpleasant people and animal interactions.  It's best to avoid being placed in those  compromised situations.  

Living in a large city, riding in new areas, and being responsible for protecting others will inevitably create an unpleasant encounter. 

How would you respond?

I don't know the answer to that myself.  

I can only prepare mentally, physically and emotionally.  A martial arts training has helped my confidence and skills, as I continue to age.

So I have given more thought to that preparation as I ride my Segway MiniPro in Chicago.  There are places that I should not travel at any time.  However cautious I may be, it's responsible to be constantly aware. Especially more so, as I have become more mobile and potentially more vulnerable.

Therefore, some preparation is required to live safely in a modern city.  Cane Martial Arts is one way that fits the Mini and EUC transporter rider in everyday life.

The problem is that carrying a cane for use as a self defense weapon is illegal is most western developed countries.  I know in America you can carry a nuclear bazooka with the right permit but in Canada and the UK it's a criminal's paradise as we're afraid to use a paperclip for self defense without the risk of going to jail for using a "weapon".  If you have a medical reason to carry a cane then you're sorted, because it's not a weapon until you are forced to use it as a last minute spur of the moment defensive measure.  If that is the case (you medically require the cane) then becoming well trained in cane martial arts would be a great idea.  Do you have such a reason to carry one?

In the case of Pingouin's thread, he has been attacked while riding multiple times now and it is awful.  I think he is an ethnic minority living in a rougher than average area, riding a very unusual mode of transport.  That is, unfortunately, a recipe for being targeted by vile scumbags who don't deserve the freedom to share society with the rest of us.  Many people are afraid of spiders, the dark, plane crashes, clowns, monsters, demons, ghosts, snakes and dogs.  The scariest, most evil things on this planet are human beings.   

To answer your question "what would you do?" I really think in that case I'd have gone up to the car and started an interaction as Pingouin did, but if 6 men got out to fight me (as in his story) I would not have hung around.  6 against one is an extremely difficult situation and I would likely be badly beaten or even killed.  What's interesting to me is that in Pingouin's earlier attack it also involved exactly 6 men.  Coincidence?  The same men? Or something else perhaps.

21 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

The problem is that carrying a cane for use as a self defense weapon is illegal is most western developed countries.  I know in America you can carry a nuclear bazooka with the right permit but in Canada and the UK it's a criminal's paradise as we're afraid to use a paperclip for self defense without the risk of going to jail for using a "weapon".  If you have a medical reason to carry a cane then you're sorted, because it's not a weapon until you are forced to use it as a last minute spur of the moment defensive measure.  If that is the case (you medically require the cane) then becoming well trained in cane martial arts would be a great idea.  Do you have such a reason to carry one?

From what I understand, one can carry a cane anywhere in the world as long as it is declared a medical device.  Apparently, if the same cane is referred to as a weapon, it will be confiscated.  Yes, it's the wording that's important, so call it a medical device.  Always.

Further, once allowed to carry the cane as a medical device, there is no regulation that stipulates how to actually carry it.  The cane can just be draped over the arm, or any fashion of holding it.  I'm thinking of strapping it to my back, as an option, while riding.

When I trained in various martial arts disciplines, I used throwing stars and spears and nunchucks.  None of which are legal to carry, especially on a plane.  And, of course, I have not practiced with them for years.  It's great for show, however, highly impractical in the modern world.

The cane is highly practical.

The cane is accepted by society.

The cane is most useful for the MiniPro rider with full use of either hand, and in particular, when riding.

So legally, you and I can use a cane for many uses, and most especially for self defense.  Consider that the cane immediately extends the arm by over 3 feet, in any direction.  I have seen a video where a group of people could not come closer to the one skillfully using it with quick side motions of the cane.  A dog or animal (maybe not a bear) could be kept at a distance.

So I asked myself, why not carry a cane when I ride?  And what if I made carrying a cane fun, useful, and possibly stylish?

I ask you that also.

1 hour ago, Rocky Romero said:

From what I understand, one can carry a cane anywhere in the world as long as it is declared a medical device.  Apparently, if the same cane is referred to as a weapon, it will be confiscated.  Yes, it's the wording that's important, so call it a medical device.  Always.

Further, once allowed to carry the cane as a medical device, there is no regulation that stipulates how to actually carry it.  The cane can just be draped over the arm, or any fashion of holding it.  I'm thinking of strapping it to my back, as an option, while riding.

When I trained in various martial arts disciplines, I used throwing stars and spears and nunchucks.  None of which are legal to carry, especially on a plane.  And, of course, I have not practiced with them for years.  It's great for show, however, highly impractical in the modern world.

The cane is most useful for the MiniPro rider with full use of either hand, and in particular, when riding.

So legally, you and I can use a cane for many uses, and most especially for self defense.  Consider that the cane immediately extends the arm by over 3 feet, in any direction.  I have seen a video where a group of people could not come closer to the one skillfully using it with quick side motions of the cane.  A dog or animal (maybe not a bear) could be kept at a distance.

So I asked myself, why not carry a cane when I ride?  And what if I made carrying a cane fun, useful, and possibly stylish?

I ask you that also.

Thanks for reminding me of one of the better action movies ever.  Hollywood and unreal, but kind of fun to watch.

2 hours ago, Rocky Romero said:

I ask you that also.

I say go for it if you require a cane for a medical reason and have that excuse to carry it, then it's not illegal to use it to defend yourself as long as you can convince the court that it was not carried for the purpose of self defence and it was a heat of the moment decision to use it to protect your life.  I'm not sure what state of the US you live in and what the laws are there for self defense.  In some states you can carry a handgun and end an attacker's life if you feel your life is at risk.  Here in Canada and also in the UK we cannot get away with even just carrying a cane to use in self defence.  Carrying a cane at all without a provable medical reason to carry a cane could raise questions and if it were used in self defence it would automatically be classified as a weapon.  If it is used in self defense we would have to convince the courts that we had a very good reason to carry one and that self defence was not it.  We can carry a cricket bat to a cricket game but it's illegal to carry one all the time or for any kind of defensive reasons.  That's the problem.  Another option for those in this situation who cannot carry a cane would be a very strong umbrella (ie. one made from solid metal) and to have the skills in place to use it effectively.  It sounds like a joke but we really are that limited in our choices.  The criminals have all the power and the law abiding citizens have none.  I have a thread in the general section here with a long discussion in this exact topic of self defence options while riding. 

4 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

I say go for it if you require a cane for a medical reason and have that excuse to carry it, then it's not illegal to use it to defend yourself as long as you can convince the court that it was not carried for the purpose of self defence and it was a heat of the moment decision to use it to protect your life.  I'm not sure what state of the US you live in and what the laws are there for self defense.  In some states you can carry a handgun and end an attacker's life if you feel your life is at risk.  Here in Canada and also in the UK we cannot get away with even just carrying a cane to use in self defence.  Carrying a cane at all without a provable medical reason to carry a cane could raise questions and if it were used in self defence it would automatically be classified as a weapon.  If it is used in self defense we would have to convince the courts that we had a very good reason to carry one and that self defence was not it.  We can carry a cricket bat to a cricket game but it's illegal to carry one all the time or for any kind of defensive reasons.  That's the problem.  Another option for those in this situation who cannot carry a cane would be a very strong umbrella (ie. one made from solid metal) and to have the skills in place to use it effectively.  It sounds like a joke but we really are that limited in our choices.  The criminals have all the power and the law abiding citizens have none.  I have a thread in the general section here with a long discussion in this exact topic of self defence options while riding. 

My decision has been made for me by my wife.  She is a fashionista and refuses to allow me to carry a cane because of looks.  I'm unable to argue with that, especially if I'm accompanying her. 

So, an umbrella is it.

As you suggested, a very strong umbrella.  With a metal handle.

Yes, I did read and contribute to this thread.

5 hours ago, steve454 said:

Thanks for reminding me of one of the better action movies ever.  Hollywood and unreal, but kind of fun to watch.

Oh yes!

I saw this and enjoyed watching it.

I remember the cane umbrella action and dismissed it as comedy, at the time.

Now, there is a different perspective and purpose in my mind.

13 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

Another option for those in this situation who cannot carry a cane would be a very strong umbrella (ie. one made from solid metal) and to have the skills in place to use it effectively.  

Here's a place in Venice that many have taken their umbrellas to protect from the rain.  It's so common that it's accepted to have an umbrella.

IMG_7881.JPG

10 hours ago, steve454 said:

That second video was funny, here is the preview to the new Kingsman movie.

https://goo.gl/zMsCSH

Well, I bought my first Cane Umbrella intended for Cane Martial Arts.

So far, its been useful to keep the rain from drenching us.  I don't know the full use of it for anything else yet, aside from hooking onto the edge of a taxi boat and hanging on to keep from falling in the Adriatic Sea.

This Cane Umbrella is affordable at 15 Euros and opens up quickly with a whoosh sound that impresses.  Both ends seem durable and could probably hurt if swung convincingly.

For traveling on boats, planes, taxis and trains, I can now attest that it goes everywhere, although clumsily.

This is a better tool to travel when riding a Mini, more so than walking.  It's the length that gets in the way when walking.  It's the length that would be advantageous when riding the Mini.

I'll know when I get home and try it.

On 9/19/2017 at 2:52 AM, RooMiniPro said:

Another option for those in this situation who cannot carry a cane would be a very strong umbrella (ie. one made from solid metal) and to have the skills in place to use it effectively.  It sounds like a joke but we really are that limited in our choices.  

There are others @exoplanet considering umbrellas while riding.

On 9/17/2017 at 7:42 PM, RooMiniPro said:

To answer your question "what would you do?" I really think in that case I'd have gone up to the car and started an interaction as Pingouin did, but if 6 men got out to fight me (as in his story) I would not have hung around.  6 against one is an extremely difficult situation and I would likely be badly beaten or even killed.  

My exact thoughts.

Fleeing is the first consideration.

Unless.

I have a strong urge to protect others.  Especially if I'm protecting my wife or loved ones.

Recently my wife and I went to an unknown beach area at night without lights, except for my flashlight.  I know that it's relatively safe because I'm in a touristy area.  The only concern would be for any stray varmints that would appear.  My wife clung to me for reassurance and protection.

Yes, fleeing or avoidance of conflict is the first consideration unless it's unavoidable.

In uncomfortable situations, for me, I want to have a higher level of confidence that I can protect myself and others.

So, it's with one's own abilities and tools at hand that helps those uncontrollable reactions from people or animals. In that dark beach area, I had one other item besides my flashlight and that was my belt with a heavy buckle.  I recently bought this belt because I needed a belt to hold my pants up and because it occurred to me that I can carry this even more conveniently than a cane or umbrella.

This belt properly used and with prior training can also be used when riding a Mini for protection.

I believe it's realistic confidence that we all strive for, in any situation.

Isn't it unfortunate that even for those of us in the most well developed countries, we live in such a violent society that we have to think about these things when simply wanting to go for a relaxing evening walk.

47 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

Isn't it unfortunate that even for those of us in the most well developed countries, we live in such a violent society that we have to think about these things when simply wanting to go for a relaxing evening walk.

True, in a developed country and more specifically, larger cities, we have to be more aware.

I suspect that it's safer than ever before in the past.  News and movies hype up awareness of violent situations and are easier to communicate negative situations in a digital age.

Chicago, where I live, is constantly in the news for murders where guns are involved.

Fundamentally, I'm starting to re-understand that having confidence is essentially the objective.  Confidence may not stop a bullet, but it will make me more street aware and smarter.

Especially, when gliding around.

1 hour ago, Rocky Romero said:

True, in a developed country and more specifically, larger cities, we have to be more aware.

I suspect that it's safer than ever before in the past.  News and movies hype up awareness of violent situations and are easier to communicate negative situations in a digital age.

Chicago, where I live, is constantly in the news for murders where guns are involved.

Fundamentally, I'm starting to re-understand that having confidence is essentially the objective.  Confidence may not stop a bullet, but it will make me more street aware and smarter.

Especially, when gliding around.

Very true indeed.  Many people (especially younger people) make out that the world is in the worst state it's ever been in, with regard to war, violence, disrespect etc.  It's quite the opposite.  But still, I would have expected that by the time we were smart enough to fly remote control space ships to the farthest reaches of the solar system we would be smart enough to stop beating each other up over different colours of skin, different opinions on the origins of life, or for $20.  Confidence and trying not to look vulnerable helps, as does practicing situational awareness at all times.  I keep away from known rough areas, I rarely go out in cities at night and I avoid drunk people. That's about the best I can do.  The rest is down to chance.  Some people are lucky in that they are born 6'6 tall, weigh 285lbs and look like Dwayne Johnson.  That in itself is a major deterrent.  

10 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

Very true indeed.  Many people (especially younger people) make out that the world is in the worst state it's ever been in, with regard to war, violence, disrespect etc.  It's quite the opposite.  But still, I would have expected that by the time we were smart enough to fly remote control space ships to the farthest reaches of the solar system we would be smart enough to stop beating each other up over different colours of skin, different opinions on the origins of life, or for $20.  Confidence and trying not to look vulnerable helps, as does practicing situational awareness at all times.  I keep away from known rough areas, I rarely go out in cities at night and I avoid drunk people. That's about the best I can do.  The rest is down to chance.  Some people are lucky in that they are born 6'6 tall, weigh 285lbs and look like Dwayne Johnson.  That in itself is a major deterrent.  

On a MiniPro, I am 6'6" tall.

The height advantage when riding is unique and different.  When not riding, and simply walking, I feel as if I shrunk down.  In crowds, definitely enjoy the height advantage and I could see even further ahead.

Another skill that I carried over from when I lived in Texas is whip cracking. Living in a high rise, the only open area that I have is out my balconies.  There are limitations.

I chanced viewing whip cracking with Adam Winrich and wondered if something like this could also be done when riding the MiniPro. Not so much for self defense and more for entertainment.  In a private part of a park space.

14 hours ago, Rocky Romero said:

On a MiniPro, I am 6'6" tall.

The height advantage when riding is unique and different.  When not riding, and simply walking, I feel as if I shrunk down.  In crowds, definitely enjoy the height advantage and I could see even further ahead.

Another skill that I carried over from when I lived in Texas is whip cracking. Living in a high rise, the only open area that I have is out my balconies.  There are limitations.

I chanced viewing whip cracking with Adam Winrich and wondered if something like this could also be done when riding the MiniPro. Not so much for self defense and more for entertainment.  In a private part of a park space.

To each his own.

1 hour ago, kasenutty said:

You're obsessed with carrying sticks, aren't you Rocky? 

Interesing observation.

I only became aware of how potentially vulnerable I could be, or even my wife, when riding.  See other posts.

I am venturing more and exploring Chicago and more recently, our south side of Chicago, by the lakefront.  It is patrolled by police and seems safe enough.  With the MiniPro, as you know, we can cover a lot more distance and often I find myself in remote areas.  Not a big deal from my city upbringing, yet it's smart to be aware.

I'll also meet my wife after her Yoga workouts which conclude when it gets dark and some of those blocks have homeless shelters.  I prefer to be prepared.  So my reasoning to carry everyday objects, like a cane umbrella and buckle belt, that have a dual purpose and not considered weapons.  It only takes one unpleasant moment that could have enormous regrets.

Its also why I wear a helmet.  It provides more confidence.

Being friendly, enjoy riding, and be realistic.

I'd like to chime in with an unrelated bonus to carrying a cane on an electric unicycle - you can use it to stand still wherever you want without dismounting! It takes a little practice, but with a light touch you can keep yourself from going over in either direction, and glide right off without having to "hop up"

I discovered this carrying an umbrella (That's fun too, you get to feel like Mary Poppins gliding down the street)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2017 at 7:07 AM, tudordewolf said:

I'd like to chime in with an unrelated bonus to carrying a cane on an electric unicycle - you can use it to stand still wherever you want without dismounting! It takes a little practice, but with a light touch you can keep yourself from going over in either direction, and glide right off without having to "hop up"

I discovered this carrying an umbrella (That's fun too, you get to feel like Mary Poppins gliding down the street)

It seemed like a Mary Poppins moment for me yesterday when gliding across a Chicago bridge, in the rain, holding an umbrella over me while the wind would cause me to glide in its direction.  I lowered the umbrella.  There were pedestrians on this sidewalk and it felt very uncertain.

I need practice, gliding with an open umbrella, in this climate and I know I will get it this coming winter in my Windy City.

Sadly mini is not fast enough to out 'run' thieves/murder/cops I always carry a fiberglass reflective driveway marker (or just stick) to fend off cars while road riding (one meter law) but be used to poke an eye out...???

On 10/12/2017 at 7:43 AM, MetricUSA said:

Sadly mini is not fast enough to out 'run' thieves/murder/cops I always carry a fiberglass reflective driveway marker (or just stick) to fend off cars while road riding (one meter law) but be used to poke an eye out...???

Being prepared for the unexpected is not just while riding the MiniPro. It also applies to EUC, bicycles and even walking.

One meter in length is the size of an umbrella or cane and that’s a manageable length to keep others at a distance.

My study into the cane umbrella science has taken me in interesting directions.  I have acquired four more umbrellas and the latest is a transparent one for my wife.  She is not allowing me to get any more, for some reason.

Additionally, I recently viewed an old video of Bruce Lee and his mastery of the long stick while fighting an opponent with nunchucks. Bruce won, of course.

Further, when you see the movie Blade Runner 2049, the umbrellas have a glowing light for the stem.  What a phenomenal idea while riding to be seen more clearly!  Just pop up the umbrella and a glow stick would be seen gliding down the sidewalk.  Creatives out there, please make this happen.

Does anyone think this is fun and funny, besides me?

Archived