Ninebot Z vs Gotway Tesla

SeattleAbarth

Alright.  I'll be that guy.

Gotway pre-orders:

https://www.gotwayamerica.com/tesla

Ninebot Pre-order:

http://www.ninebotus.com/one-z-series

1. wheel power. Both look to be about the same.

2. Battary range options. Are targeting 20-50miles depending on your battary choice.

3. Durability & weather protection.  Consensus/specs look to be out on this still. (I'm assuming Gotway is taking the high road, and making sure QA doesn't lapse again).

major differences:

*tesla - has handle built in, and is a 16" wheel.

*Z.       -  18" wheel, PHAT tire, targeted for off-roading...

Price are still tbd...  so I wonder if it's a first to market race... it looks to be targeting commuters.  Which is why I'm starting this thread.

i was planning on the msuper v3s+ next month.   But this changes the game.

Alright. Here we go...  thoughts?

Just looking at the speed capabilities I think we might be comparing apples to oranges as they say.  One is more off-roading SUV/Hummer style while the other is pretty much Tesla super fast and sleek.  They are the two most anticipated wheels coming out besides the Mten3 which made a small debut, but people seem to be raving over it and having tons of fun.  I think it's upwards and onwards from here with either wheel...

As @Hunka Hunka Burning Love says, apples to oranges. I see them as totally different types of wheels. And you can buy a Tesla now (within your hands by November probably). We've heard rumors that you won't be able to buy a Z in the West, and even if you can it won't be until mid-2018.

And some of the Z videos are frankly underwhelming. I'm beginning to wonder how well this wheel will really behave. 

I've lost interest in the Z. It'll probably pick up again when people are actually buying them.

Pre-order of the Tesla I see is possible.    But as with all things marketing,   Ninebot might have to fast track their design.

not sure how it's apples to oranges:   18" would provide better stability at higher speeds. So would a wider tire.  Which the z10 is suppose to be able to do 37mph which would warrant the motor specs.

so. Motor/battary being on par.  Tire and tire size/dimension being the major difference.  But both are capable of 35mph?

major issue I have with the Tesla is there is no rear light, and aesthetics. It's on par with the mcm4 shell...  the acm had better styling imo

if time to market is the main compelling reason to ignore the Z...  then what else is on the market?

The built in handle is a must if you take it to the grocery or are in buildings that don't allow using it.

also rear light is required if you plan to legally ride at night in the Washington state area. Odd that the rear light was glossed over.   Makes me wonder if they just used the mcm4 shell to keep a familiar style with the KS18?  As that is it's main competitor at the time being.

Maybe think of them more like what an electric moped is to an electric e-bike.  Both are electric and fast, but form factors and capabilities vary in terms of nimbleness and off-road riding.  I think they will both appeal to buyers, but unfortunately each appear to have some shortcomings.  

That Ninebot add-on trolley handle is beefy, but com'on :rolleyes: do people want to pay extra to bolt on an extra accessory on the back like that?  Why not just make it integrated on the back of the shell like say an MSuper?  The integrated luggage handles look much nicer if they are made solidly.

It's almost 2018.  Why can't someone slap on a decent, cool looking plastic motorcycle/moped headlight diffusion lens and incorporate a bunch of strong LED lights?  Light up the night and road for heaven's sake.  Slap on a built-in, decent rear red visibility light too rather than expect people to tape and stick aftermarket lights on.  Offer ground effects lighting for a nice futuristic glow.

Motorcycle-Front-Headlight-Lighting-for-

I think both the Telsa and the Z are exciting models.  I think @SeattleAbarth is exactly correct on two points: Why did the Telsa miss the taillight? Why did Z miss the trolley handle? How/why are the new model EUCs missing such key features?

3 minutes ago, duaner said:

I think both the Telsa and the Z are exciting models.  I think @SeattleAbarth is exactly correct on two points: Why did the Telsa miss the taillight? Why did Z miss the trolley handle? How/why are the new model EUCs missing such key features?

I suspect that the missing taillight isn't a huge deal because of the ring lights which you can see from behind the wheel.

I hope maybe in the production Tesla models they incorporate a similar brake light in the middle part like the Mten3.  The MCM4 has the lights all the way over the handle from front to back.  Gotway could place two small red LED strips in the back beside a central LED strip.

Maybe the prototype didn't have it installed yet.  The side lights aren't extremely visible from behind, but it's better than nothing I guess.  Adding in MCM4 lighting to the Tesla would make it more visible from behind.  That shiny smoked central cover must serve some sort of purpose?

1 hour ago, yourtoys7 said:

LOL, youre comparing civic si (maybe Type R) to suv v8 :D

I agree only in reference to 16" vs 18". :cheers:

But motor and battary are on par.  Both provide a trolley (ninebot not integrated as usual... idiots).

Looks like some people are getting test samples.   To what @Marty Backe said, if the Z series is a 2018.   Might as well order the Tesla.

@Tishawn Fahie did a nice short breakdown.

So Gotway getting their time to Market for 4th Quarter.. not sure if Holiday shopping was factored.  Looks like I'll be jumping on the pre-order.  There's room to add a rear light mod it looks like.  I'm curious if the fan pulls or pushes, I'm guessing pull.

but seeing his other videos on the Tesla solidifies this as an evolution up on the Msuper v3+  or acm.   Just a vanilla case is my annoyance...  

:popcorn:

18 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I hope maybe in the production Tesla models they incorporate a similar brake light in the middle part like the Mten3.  The MCM4 has the lights all the way over the handle from front to back.  Gotway could place two small red LED strips in the back beside a central LED strip.

They have different light Setups...you choose by pushing the power button again.

One is a very nice visable break light!!

4 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

One is a very nice visable break light!!

But it's not a rear light, for the Tesla.  The Z had a front and rear light.

it will be a transportation issue during the winter when it gets dark at 5pm instead of 9-10ish

transportation should all have the 3 items minimal:

front light visible 500 ft away

rear light  - lumens I don't think has a minimum.

trolley handle - so you don't have to be hunchback of Notre Dam 

I can not discuss the 9bot Z in serious....

It will come "early 2018" and is at the moment only announced to chinese market with no plans for outside china.

The latest "test video" which come through showed a serious power/torque issue, not only on a short hill, also on turning the wheel/idling.

9bot has to prove a LOT to get back into the game...they struggled 12 months long to get their P series to market....so i have my doubts that this wheel will be a performance champ in any way. 

But will see: in march/april i guess when i compare to Mini pro or other releasetimelines of Ninebot :-)

I guess at this time we will have about 2-3 new wheels from GW/KS! Sorry for beeing sarcastic ;-)

Would be great if KS and IPS come out with something in that range for commuters.

battary weight seams to be the reason they're all in the 1000-1200w battary range,  and reason I think gotway went with the 16 over the larger 18" msuper+

dont get me derailed on the ips i5. That thing looks sweet. Wish it was 1/2 it's price.  I'd buy 2 to keep in the cars. :clap3:

Archived