Forum version upgraded

Guys. Let me know if you find anything that's broken or just terrible. I just noticed that there's no downvote anymore. Can probably fix that tho later.

I originally upgraded because I thought it might fix the file download issue. Apparently it was unrelated. I have submitted a support ticket for that just now. Will keep you guys updated.

I have been poking around and find the upgrade quite handsome and functional! I like the list of users who react to posts.

Also, the upgrade fixed one of my nagging issues, which was when I used the "Activity" tab to see unread content (on mobile only), clicking the topic would take me to the first post in the topic, not the first unread post (as it does on the desktop). Now, on mobile or desktop, I get the first unread post when I click, which is great.

Downvoting is still there; just hover over the heart and you can up or down vote any post. On mobile, tap on the heart and then you can up or down vote.

8 minutes ago, who_the said:

I have been poking around and find the upgrade quite handsome and functional! I like the list of users who react to posts.

Also, the upgrade fixed one of my nagging issues, which was when I used the "Activity" tab to see unread content (on mobile only), clicking the topic would take me to the first post in the topic, not the first unread post (as it does on the desktop). Now, on mobile or desktop, I get the first unread post when I click, which is great.

Downvoting is still there; just hover over the heart and you can up or down vote any post. On mobile, tap on the heart and then you can up or down vote.

There's way too much interest in down voting ;)

11 minutes ago, who_the said:

A like appears to be equivalent to an upvote, adds +1 in reputation. 

Kinda silly having both. It seems to differentiate on your activity feed though, but only by the icon which appears, the text still just says the generic 'reacted to'.

Hi John,

because I just found this thread:

I always use https where possible, and I see it also would work here without problems.

Unfortunately when I click on any link in the forum, the next page falls back to http always.

Could you redirect everything to https, please ?  It's just a setting in Apache or nginx, don't know what you use.

5 minutes ago, Asylsteirer said:

Hi John,

because I just found this thread:

I always use https where possible, and I see it also would work here without problems.

Unfortunately when I click on any link in the forum, the next page falls back to http always.

Could you redirect everything to https, please ?

That would cause all embedded media (from external sites) in the forum to not show. There is a proxy workaround that I'm investigating.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

There's way too much interest in down voting ;)

The problem as I see it (and maybe this release might change things) is there are one or two who give very bad advice yet, if they have been prolific and (say) posted 500 posts and got 50 reps they are shown as having a good reputation. In my book, someone whose advice can be trusted needs to be at least "square" I.e. If they have 500 posts they should have at least 500 reps.

The worst I've come across were 3 Airwheel employees that took turns pretended they were newbies and asking questions about what was the best wheel to buy, the other two would then explain how the Airwheel was, by far, the best wheel out there. Eventually the newbie would "buy" an Airwheel and state how wonderful it was. Even some quite knowledgeable members gave them positive reps before they realised what was actually happening. In fact one quite prominent member actually made a point of uprep'ing all the down reps I gave these three clowns - I was appalled! In the end several Airwheel threads had to be completely deleted (which BTW does not delete the reps.)

Unless the system changes the way it rates members, so the percentage of positive reps, rather than the total number is used to rate, then I feel it is actually quite important, almost a duty, to down rep bad advice to help protect new users from them.

OK, I would agree that is going to be "bad advice in my opinion" but I, for one, will only down rep when someone is being clearly abusive or giving clearly very poor advice. The benefit of the doubt response would be to do nothing.

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

What's the new equivalent of Reputation? Like or Upvote. I'm so confused :confused1:

I practiced on your comment. First I gave you a 'downvote' ( 1st time ever buddy:)) then a 'like' vote which cancelled the downvote. Then I 'upvoted' which cancelled the 'like' vote'. When you receive a combination of up, down and like votes it actually becomes quite colorful! ;)

36822761210_c5f445e054_b.jpg

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

What's the new equivalent of Reputation? Like or Upvote. I'm so confused :confused1:

3 hours ago, ramma said:

Kinda silly having both. It seems to differentiate on your activity feed though, but only by the icon which appears, the text still just says the generic 'reacted to'.

Both "Like" and "Upvote" adds exactly 1 to reputation. So it does not matter which one you use. It seems that I'm unable to disable the "Like" functionality. So I guess you can use "Like" when you really do LIKE the post while if something is important yet a terrible news you can use the "Upvote" instead?

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I practiced on your comment. First I gave you a 'downvote' ( 1st time ever buddy:)) then a 'like' vote which cancelled the downvote. Then I 'upvoted' which cancelled the 'like' vote'. When you receive a combination of up, down and like votes it actually becomes quite colorful! ;)

36822761210_c5f445e054_b.jpg

This is hilarious :laughbounce2:

6 hours ago, John Eucist said:

Both "Like" and "Upvote" adds exactly 1 to reputation. So it does not matter which one you use. It seems that I'm unable to disable the "Like" functionality. So I guess you can use "Like" when you really do LIKE the post while if something is important yet a terrible news you can use the "Upvote" instead?

Good clarification and suggestion. I'll use Like :)

Archived