What is your experience with the KS16S until now ?

HermanTheGerman

Hi KS16S owners,

could you share your experience with the wheel a little bit ?

Is it as reliable as the KS16B, what do you like, what do you not like, did you have an accident because of a wheel malfunction, all these would interest me.

I intend to upgrade from my KS16B to the KS16S, not only because of the 5 km/h more maxspeed, but also because of the little bit longer range (I have the 640 Wh version).

Thanks in advance for sharing.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never rode a 16b so I can't compare it.

I bought the wheel to slot between my 14 and my 18 inch wheels; I think the 16 inch wheels should be everyone's first wheel as they seem to do everything reasonably well, and are easier to learn and ride.

Pretty much everything I like about it. There are a few tiny problems.

--The footpads are difficult to get up and down. Lubricating them does help a lot, for a time.

--The wheel isn't silent; it creaks a bit. The creaking is nothing like my KS14c which is very mechanical sounding, and noisy.

--The trolley handle is slightly sticky. I usually avoid using it much unless I really have to.

--For some people the footpads are too low and touch down on low-speed turns.

--The speakers are noticeably worse than the KS14c.

Otherwise, it's a powerful, easy riding big wheel. It's about as big a wheel as I'd personally get, as lugging it up overpasses and bridges is a chore, but it can be grabbed under the footpad and the handle for two-handed carry which is invaluable.

4 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Never rode a 16b so I can't compare it.

I bought the wheel to slot between my 14 and my 18 inch wheels; I think the 16 inch wheels should be everyone's first wheel as they seem to do everything reasonably well, and are easier to learn and ride.

Pretty much everything I like about it. There are a few tiny problems.

--The footpads are difficult to get up and down. Lubricating them does help a lot, for a time.

WD-40 is your friend ;)

--The wheel isn't silent; it creaks a bit. The creaking is nothing like my KS14c which is very mechanical sounding, and noisy.

Mine does not creak, and it's more silently humming than my 16B and not that much high pitch whining.

--The trolley handle is slightly sticky. I usually avoid using it much unless I really have to.

See my post at:

--For some people the footpads are too low and touch down on low-speed turns.

They are higher than those of the 16B because they are angled, which gives a more comfortable stance on the 16S once you get used to it.

--The speakers are noticeably worse than the KS14c.

Speakers are definitely better in the 16S than with the 16B, my opinion.

Otherwise, it's a powerful, easy riding big wheel. It's about as big a wheel as I'd personally get, as lugging it up overpasses and bridges is a chore, but it can be grabbed under the footpad and the handle for two-handed carry which is invaluable.

Agree entirely! And the 16S runs smoother than the 16B as it's more powerful and still very sensitive to your movements. Just the range is a bit smaller than the 16B with the same battery.

I don't have another kingsong wheel to compare it with but I love my KS16S. I don't have the problems with creaking or the trolley handle mentioned above, but as other have mentioned the pedals require a lot of force to fold down and up. I haven't bothered with lubrication since I plan to mod them using magnets instead. 

The only other defect I have noticed is that the engine is causing a high pitch sound in the speakers when the wheel is rolling. Not loud, but it's there.

The range seem to be a bit over 60km for me (~80kg rider, mixed terrain with some hills), but it's an estimate. I haven't gone lower than 20-25% before charging it. 

10 hours ago, RenaissanceMan said:

WD-40 is your friend ;)

"Footplate resistance" is about comparable to my ks16b - i did not notice any real difference.

Mine does not creak, and it's more silently humming than my 16B and not that much high pitch whining.

Mine ks16s has no real "mechanical running noise" as my previous ks16b - imho i had a bit bad luck with it. @Blunzn's ks16b had not this kind of running noise. (And his ks16s has "none," too)

My first impression of the high pitched noise was also that it is a bit less now - but after driving a bit it's definitely still here and from time to time imho maybe also a bit louder. 

See my post at:

Trolley handle is exactly like with the ks16b for me - never had any prob.

They are higher than those of the 16B because they are angled, which gives a more comfortable stance on the 16S once you get used to it.

+1

Speakers are definitely better in the 16S than with the 16B, my opinion.

Never used them ;)

Agree entirely! And the 16S runs smoother than the 16B as it's more powerful and still very sensitive to your movements.

+1. they improved nicely the power and the stiffness/responsivness/driving behaviour. I also encounter no more/much less dipping forward driving bents.

Just the range is a bit smaller than the 16B with the same battery.

Would also be my impression - but i never measured this. Anyhow driving faster uses up the battery faster...

another little thing - the 16s firmware reports also negative (regenerative) current now ...

so for me a worthwhile uprade without any probs so far - maybe we can meet in vienna if you'd like some personal hands on experience

edit: mine has firmware version 1.02

4 hours ago, Chriull said:

so for me a worthwhile upgrade without any probs so far - maybe we can meet in vienna if you'd like some personal hands on experience

Thanks, that would be great!

I'll be in Vienna again during the 1st week of october, possibly we could arrange a meeting then. :thumbup:

Even though I've only had mine for 4 days, and it has some kind of vibration/over voltage issue, I still like it.

First, the KS company rep pointed me to a local dealer. I didn't even know we had a local dealer for these. And from what I see on this forum, KS has good customer support.

Second, the design features really drew me toward it; Having a trolley handle is a big plus for me, especially while learning. Sometimes I have to cross intersections, construction sites with sidewalks not completed, etc. Some people have complained that the trolley handle is too small, but I think it is great. Comparatively, my Inmotion V3Pro trolley handle and bars are larger.  The power button on top with a light sensor is very cool. My Inmotion V3Pro controls are frequently being hit by my leg on the side of the unit. The shell design is very sleek and comfortable.

Third, actually riding the thing is awesome. The battery life is great, and the motor feels very responsive. The foot pedals are in a good position for me, however I can see how some people might want higher pedals (like the inmotion V8 has). For me, I want them closer to the ground. It makes a slight "whirring" sound I did not see on my V3Pro, still cool.

Also, the app is good. I like how they put the app together. I know many people have complained, and the Beta of the new app supposedly looks different (??). I really like the current app.So much that if the new app is different, and does offer any real changes, I'd prob just keep the current app.

And, of course, the local dealer is being very good about working with me on this new unit that has an issue. I actually have ridden it several days, trying to nail down what is causing this as I work with him and the problem does not make it completely unridable (just unpredictable) , however for what we are paying for this unit, it should not have this issue I am having, so looking forward to getting it resolved. The dealer instructed me not to ride it anymore until he could look at it, so I'm shelving it for a few days. BTW, my local dealer let me ride a couple of other units and even borrow one for a week before I purchased. Great customer support.

On 9/12/2017 at 4:10 AM, Asylsteirer said:

Hi KS16S owners,

could you share your experience with the wheel a little bit ?

Is it as reliable as the KS16B, what do you like, what do you not like, did you have an accident because of a wheel malfunction, all these would interest me.

I intend to upgrade from my KS16B to the KS16S, not only because of the 5 km/h more maxspeed, but also because of the little bit longer range (I have the 640 Wh version).

Thanks in advance for sharing.

I love by KS16 also and was thinking of upgrading to the KS16S just for the 5km/h more speed, but I heard the 18L is coming out and since I love the 18S so much, I want to wait a bit.  I already have a few wheels and can wait.  Still trying to get used to the MSuper.  It is a little top heavy, going give it another 50km and then pass judgement.  LOL

16 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

... the KS company rep pointed me to a local dealer. I didn't even know we had a local dealer for these...

A local dealer in Austin, TX?  Could you please provide info - who is this dealer?

20 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I love by KS16 also and was thinking of upgrading to the KS16S just for the 5km/h more speed, but I heard the 18L is coming out and since I love the 18S so much, I want to wait a bit.  I already have a few wheels and can wait.  Still trying to get used to the MSuper.  It is a little top heavy, going give it another 50km and then pass judgement.  LOL

18L?  What is that? Can you provide a link or more info?  Lovin the 18S! Tinkering with the idea of buying the second battery to extend my range.. now that I do 20mph everywhere I need more battery! Lol!

18L = the low version of the 18S. Basically KS14D/S, KS16 "standard" form factor instead of the tall, top-heavy design of the 18 until now. There was a picture of a (discarded) design which was literally like an upscaled 14/16 shell, but that didn't look good/ergonomic and so they'll probably do some more design work.

2 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

18L?  What is that? Can you provide a link or more info?  Lovin the 18S! Tinkering with the idea of buying the second battery to extend my range.. now that I do 20mph everywhere I need more battery! Lol!

It's going to be released at the HK Fair next month. Don't be concerned with your 18S becoming 'obsolete' anytime soon, rumour has it the 'L' will be equipped with a 1000Wh pack.

3 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

It's going to be released at the HK Fair next month. Don't be concerned with your 18S becoming 'obsolete' anytime soon, rumour has it the 'L' will be equipped with a 1000Wh pack.

Yeah, unfortunatly...But: As the rumoured 1040wh does NOT match any Logical Batterie size (840,  1260, 1360 or 1680 would)....i still have hope :-)

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

Yeah, unfortunatly...But: As the rumoured 1040wh does NOT match any Logical Batterie size ....

Misread, 4040 Wh, with new battery technology (KS18L, where L is Longrange):

3 mm slim coils made from nanosized carbosilicium tubes with Nickel inclusions and a few Rhodium atoms as catalyst, 20000 times rechargable on a 400V high voltage 3-phase connector in 20 minutes, range ~300 miles.

4 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Any preorders yet?  LOL!  I want one.

4 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Yeah, unfortunatly...But: As the rumoured 1040wh does NOT match any Logical Batterie size (840,  1260, 1360 or 1680 would)....i still have hope :-)

the 1000wh would match Gotway Tesla, but instead of 16inch would be 18inch.   

7 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

I"m thinking of getting the extended battery too, I also have the 840wh version of the 18S.  But I've not yet run into the limit yet on any run I've done.  But I've not done any all day runs yet only 3.5 hours max and still had close to 70% range left.

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

Are there disadvantages to simply going with bigger wheels but smaller everything else? Methinks bigger wheels are safer wheels. When I ride with reasonable care I still crash a lot on my 14 inchers (must be nearly a hundred times now), three times now on my 16, and just once on my 18 incher.

I mean, what do you think of simply some monstrous 20 to 26 inch wheel, like a bicycle? Could that feasibly work?

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

1000wh- to be exact 1040wh- would match a 84volt wheel....but not a 67volt one like the Ks18

7 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

rumour has it the 'L' will be equipped with a 1000Wh pack.

FFS, what is wrong with manufacturers, they always do one thing that ruins the entire wheel!??!!:cry2::furious::facepalm: Seriously hope the rumor is false. 1680 Wh is already less than what could (space-wise) be on the 18S.

How hard is it to see the success of the Monster (betting the 2400 Wh to 1600 Wh sold ratio is like 10:1) and how everybody buys 1600 Wh ACM/msuper V3 and the 1300 Wh and smaller 67V models are basically rarely sold in comparison?????!!!!

But hey, let's max our batteries at 1000 Wh, and fuck everyone else.

Ninebot with the Z, Gotway with the Tesla, KS with the 16(S)... and now possibly even the 18L.

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

FFS, what is wrong with manufacturers, they always do one thing that ruins the entire wheel!??!!:cry2::furious::facepalm: Seriously hope the rumor is false. 1680 Wh is already less than what could (space-wise) be on the 18S.

How hard is it to see the success of the Monster (betting the 2400 Wh to 1600 Wh sold ratio is like 10:1) and how everybody buys 1600 Wh ACM/msuper V3 and the 1300 Wh and smaller 67V models are basically rarely sold in comparison?????!!!!

Ninebot with the Z, Gotway with the Tesla, KS with the 16(S)... and now possibly even the 18L.

I'm with you. I just don't get it. But maybe we in this forum are the minority, and the majority of people don't care about riding their wheels for more than 20 miles.

Maybe @zlymex can give an insider's point of view.  Do the majority of Chinese riders use these wheels for basic A to B commuting rather than long, leisure rides of 80-100 km at a time?  I know you carry additional battery packs to get extended range.  Do you prefer a heavier wheel that packs more than 1600 Wh?  At those sizes I imagine lifting the wheel can start getting a little difficult for women, teens, and some men up stairs and over rugged terrain.

31 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe @zlymex can give an insider's point of view.  Do the majority of Chinese riders use these wheels for basic A to B commuting rather than long, leisure rides of 80-100 km at a time?  I know you carry additional battery packs to get extended range.  Do you prefer a heavier wheel that packs more than 1600 Wh?  At those sizes I imagine lifting the wheel can start getting a little difficult for women, teens, and some men up stairs and over rugged terrain.

I rode my Mten3 from my truck to my work building today. All the elevators were inoperable this morning. I had to walk the stairs to the 8th floor. Thank God I chose to use the Mten3 today :) 

10 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Unless today it are just rumours.....

I have tried to intervene with Thomas Hoon, singapor KS seller, and told him that here in the Forum, 100% of the members are allways for more capacity!

He wants to give this info's to KS...we will see what happens!

At least KS listens to it's customers...best example might be the new 14, which was only planned at max 420wh in the beginning and got an upgrade in battery later.

Archived