Helmet with chin bar, why the price differences?

I was looking at some helmets, checking some reviews on the internet, but I can't understand why there is such a price difference sometimes (especially when I don't find reviews)....

case in point:

Fox_Proframe_Helmet_Men_mat_black%5B1470

Fox Proframe Downhill: €270

vs

Cratoni_C-Maniac_Fullface_Helmet_black_m

Cratoni C-Maniac Downhill: €100

Ok, the second one looks "lighter" (but we all know looks don't tell everything), but why is the first one nearly 3 times as expensive??

and then there also is this one:

Alpina_King_Carapax_Fullface_Helmet_blac

Alpina King Carapax: €153

To make matters more complicated there is also this one (which I don't care about since I don't want a "motorcycle look" helmet):

Fox_Rampage_Comp_Helmet_Men_matte_black%

Fox Rampage Comp: (so same brand as the first one, and "more solid") for €152 which is nearly half the price of the first Fox helmet I posted

Anyone care to chime in?

:wacko:

There is about twice the material in the models you pictured above, and of course more complex molding and the added vents add to the price.  Many people on the board (including me) are getting the Bell Sanction for ~$65.  This is much lighter than the motocross helmets you show above.  They were originally children's helmets -- the largest size fits me snugly and these are know for running a bit small.   But the fit provides very good control; padding is excellent for the speeds EUC riders are going (falling?) and the lightness and visibility are great.  Highly recommended.

BLASEA.jpghttps://www.backcountry.com/bell-sanction-helmet?CMP_SKU=BEL0027&MER=0406&skid=BEL0027-BLASEA-M&mr:trackingCode=F91E52C1-42A1-E611-80FA-005056944E17&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&k_clickid=1faf6e4d-b758-4284-93b1-40883dde0f8f&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxdPNBRDmARIsAAw-TUk2H1Fb8D13bjmKmkKd_66lHFiqTBmH57oKwtYsbhxFxTnU9JlJZk8aAlogEALw_wcB

1 hour ago, Chris Westland said:

There is about twice the material in the models you pictured above, and of course more complex molding and the added vents add to the price.  Many people on the board (including me) are getting the Bell Sanction for ~$65.  This is much lighter than the motocross helmets you show above.  They were originally children's helmets -- the largest size fits me snugly and these are know for running a bit small.   But the fit provides very good control; padding is excellent for the speeds EUC riders are going (falling?) and the lightness and visibility are great.  Highly recommended.

BLASEA.jpghttps://www.backcountry.com/bell-sanction-helmet?CMP_SKU=BEL0027&MER=0406&skid=BEL0027-BLASEA-M&mr:trackingCode=F91E52C1-42A1-E611-80FA-005056944E17&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&k_clickid=1faf6e4d-b758-4284-93b1-40883dde0f8f&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxdPNBRDmARIsAAw-TUk2H1Fb8D13bjmKmkKd_66lHFiqTBmH57oKwtYsbhxFxTnU9JlJZk8aAlogEALw_wcB

I've been using the Bell 3R for a few months now and really like it. Usually I ride with the chin bar removed, especially when riding on the bike paths at the beach. If I'm riding mostly on the streets or off-road, then I usually ride with the chin bar on. 

3 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

There is about twice the material in the models you pictured above, and of course more complex molding and the added vents add to the price.  Many people on the board (including me) are getting the Bell Sanction for ~$65.  This is much lighter than the motocross helmets you show above. 

Those are not motocross helmets, but downhill mountainbike helmets.

And I don't mind spending $200 on a helmet, I just try to understand the price differences between those models. Also the Bell you pictured has a comparable model (from Bell) that costs more than twice as much but looks the same at first sight.

3 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

And I don't mind spending $200 on a helmet, I just try to understand the price differences between those models. Also the Bell you pictured has a comparable model (from Bell) that costs more than twice as much but looks the same at first sight.

The 3R ... I think the price difference is because of the removable chinbar, and slightly better materials.  They do look the same.

3 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Those are not motocross helmets, but downhill mountainbike helmets.

You are right, though dirtbike/motocross helmets cost the same or less, and have the visor (which is probably unnecessary at the speeds bikes and EUCs travel).  E.g., for ~$165

afxfx41_ds_helmet_detail.jpghttps://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/afx-fx-41-ds-helmet

Or... for ~$99

bell_mx9_adventure_blockade_helmet_mattehttps://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-mx-9-adventure-blockade-helmet

Or ... ~$89

AFX_FX-17_Helmet_detail.jpghttps://www.revzilla.com/product/afx-fx-17-helmet

Which leads me to question why the mountain-bike-men are spending so much on helmets.

7 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

Which leads me to question why the mountain-bike-men are spending so much on helmets.

From some of the videos I've seen, some of the mountain bike riders do get going at some rather fast speeds. Also some of the air that they get and the chances of doing a face plant into a tree trunk, the extra safety and higher price helmets can definitely be a must. 

7 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

Not really, it's the same as a mountain-bike helmet ... it's even advertised as one.  They're very light. 

Look on the site you posted:

Weight: 3.44 lbs --> 1.5kg. That is more than my car helmet.

3 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

So does the "carbon" printed on it mean it's made out of carbon fiber ?

Sure looks like it :)

3 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

And if it is, it's probably more than $200 brand new. 

A little bit more :) 

2 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

The materials and shape are more important than weight IMHO ...

For helmets in general it depends on their intended use. Don't underestimate the extra stress put on your neck by that extra weight around your head.

5 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Sure looks like it :)

A little bit more :) 

Yea. That's what I figured. It's actually probably a lot more. 

Hence the reason some of those helmets weigh more than the helmet you were referring to.  Generally, the lower priced helmet with a good safety certification will weigh more than the higher price helmet with the same safety certification. 

10 hours ago, Mono said:

Out if interest, do you also use a HANS device?

Of course.

This is just the first picture I found on the Stilo USA website. HANS posts are an option when ordering online apparently, so they aren't shown.

• 1 month later...

I wanted a full face helmet. This one does both Full and Open face.

It has a sun shield that pulls down which really helps on sunny days.

It was cheap $65 and good enough for what I'm doing with my EUC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0197VNGOE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

59 minutes ago, Steven D Wheeler said:

I wanted a full face helmet. This one does both Full and Open face.

It has a sun shield that pulls down which really helps on sunny days.

It was cheap $65 and good enough for what I'm doing with my EUC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0197VNGOE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have that helmet but do not use it for EUC riding – it's just too bulky and clumsy. Modular helmets also tend to be heavier than regular full-face motorcycle helmets – this one weighs 1.85kg which is more than 2x a Bell Super 3R (770g).

The field of view with motorcycle helmets is also narrower than with other types. I can't turn my head as quickly and feel less responsive to the environment.

Edit: If you want to save money, I think @Chris Westland's recommendation of the Bell Sanction is a good choice if you can find it in your size (XL).The dual-sport helmets (they all tend to have permanent visors) listed earlier in this thread weigh about 1.5kg or more, which is still twice the weight of the 3R or Sanction. The dual-sport helmets do have better visibility than regular motorcycle helmets but less than the mountain bike helmets.

Motorcycle helmets get heavy quickly from nice but not necessary features, such as modular, sun visor, ram vents, and maybe even chin curtains.

However, a fiber glass or carbon fiber sport bike helmet is still pretty light even compared to bicycle helmets, and provide  much better protection.

I'm thinking I don't like the dirtbike or mountainbike open eyeport with chinbar. Might as well go full visor if you're going full face.

Archived