Mten3 First Impressions / Review - BUY ONE NOW!!!

Marty Backe

2 minutes ago, Smoother said:

It is the video.  Thanks for sharing it.  I always wonder at the effort @Marty Backe goes through to make a video.  I figured he uses just one camera so he has to do a lot of setting up and retrieving.  It's all inspiring me to do better.  My first few video posts are literally just what the camera saw, no editing.  I know they are rubbish, but its a start.

I shudder when I look at my early EUC videos :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smoother said:

It is the video.  Thanks for sharing it.  I always wonder at the effort @Marty Backe goes through to make a video.  I figured he uses just one camera so he has to do a lot of setting up and retrieving.  It's all inspiring me to do better.  My first few video posts are literally just what the camera saw, no editing.  I know they are rubbish, but its a start.

Those videos you made were very interesting, you filmed some unusual and beautiful things.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve454 said:

Those videos you made were very interesting, you filmed some unusual and beautiful things.

Thanks.  I filmed a lot of crap too.  There.s a degree of mental editing going on.  I look at a video and ask myself, would anyone other than me want to see this; then I post it anyway :D

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

Thanks.  I filmed a lot of crap too.  There.s a degree of mental editing going on.  I look at a video and ask myself, would anyone other than me want to see this; then I post it anyway :D

I was just checking YouTube for new electric unicycle videos and noticed you posted a bunch of short clips today.  The mountain looked pretty high, with a nice view of the ocean.  The one with the really rocky terrain looked difficult to ride.   I think @Mono posted one also,  demonstrating 180's.

How does Flickr compare to YouTube?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I was just checking YouTube for new electric unicycle videos and noticed you posted a bunch of short clips today.  The mountain looked pretty high, with a nice view of the ocean.  The one with the really rocky terrain looked difficult to ride.   I think @Mono posted one also,  demonstrating 180's.

How does Flickr compare to YouTube?

Wow, that was quick, I only learned how to post this morning.  Flickr was a PITA, and every time I linked to one vid. it linked to all in the small thumbnails below the main image.  It also allowed navigating through my vids/pics/ which was not my desire when posting an individual vid.  I also didn't like that the vid. was not embedded, but linked to a new tab.   Still, YouTube is the place to be anyway.

That rocky terrain was nothing.  I have vids. riding over rocks as big as plums, thousands of them, on the side of a mountain.  But those vids were all shot upside down in a smart phone, so I have to learn how to correct them, before sharing.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Just a single camera.  This is a hobby and I enjoy making the videos so the process is fun for me even though it may seem slow and arduous to others.

Oh, we enjoy it so don't stop! Given where you live I expect that soon we'll hear that Steven Spielberg has signed on to do your next series.

Edited by dmethvin
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

even with hard sustained runs riding the beeps, I managed to get a paltry 6.3 miles of range from 97% to 30%.  That's boosted levels of range! 

Id be fine with that range/speed and if it's ridden conservatively 10miles+ on paved flats is reasonable - thinking at a brisk walking speed and occasional sprints lol.  I'm debating a mten3 next year since the ips i5 I wanted seems like a riskier purchase at the moment  and of course the jyroball (I'm expecting a copycat product to appear sometime early 2020, cuz...China)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, giggidditygiggiddity said:

Id be fine with that range/speed and if it's ridden conservatively 10miles+ on paved flats is reasonable - thinking at a brisk walking speed and occasional sprints lol.  I'm debating a mten3 next year since the ips i5 I wanted seems like a riskier purchase at the moment  and of course the jyroball (I'm expecting a copycat product to appear sometime early 2020, cuz...China)

I was anything but conservative my first time out on this wheel, but if i held an easy 15 MPH on flat ground without too much torquing, I think  it could get a realistic 15-16 miles with my weight on it (185 lbs with gear and clothes)

10 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Got myself a used Mten3 512Wh at a pretty good price, pretty beat up, but fully functional (sans one LED dot not working).

This wheel is a different kind of fun than say a Nikola 100V or Monster 100V.  It's strengths lie in tricks, dips and perhaps skate parks, not straightaways like my other two wheels.

With that said, I managed to make this wheel pedal dip forward from overleaning at 24 MPH nearly faceplanting (Nikola 100V spoiled me in this regard), however even with hard sustained runs riding the beeps, I managed to get a paltry 6.3 miles of range from 97% to 30%.  That's boosted levels of range! 

The wheel calls for a different type of action contrary to both my Nikola and Monster, where both of these larger wheels beg to be carved, this wheel begs to be rocked back and forth (having a hard time articulating this phenomenon).

Will try again riding the wheel a little less aggressive tomorrow.  It wasn't designed to be a speed demon, but I need to unlearn the riding profile of my 100V wheels in order to fully appreciate what this wheel is.

I believe the rated top speed of the Mten3 is 24-mph. For me, the top speed of any wheel is a place that only should be visited for extremely brief periods of time, if ever. So it certainly doesn't surprise me that you found weakness there.

It still amazes me that people will ride the Mten3 much above 15-mph. That's not a fun experience in my book. The Mten3 is a sub-15mph joy machine and particularly fun for slow speed goofing.

P.s. At slower speeds I got ~20-miles on mine, at ~0% remaining battery.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I believe the rated top speed of the Mten3 is 24-mph. For me, the top speed of any wheel is a place that only should be visited for extremely brief periods of time, if ever. So it certainly doesn't surprise me that you found weakness there.

It still amazes me that people will ride the Mten3 much above 15-mph. That's not a fun experience in my book. The Mten3 is a sub-15mph joy machine and particularly fun for slow speed goofing.

P.s. At slower speeds I got ~20-miles on mine, at ~0% remaining battery.

Ha, one of the guys in the NYC telegram chat actually got this wheel up to 30 MPH downhill, not that I would try it. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, giggidditygiggiddity said:

I don't know why this guys mten3 crash has just a few hundred views but this is by far the best point of view spill on an euc, I swear I watched this alot each week to think about my gear.

First words: "that hurt, ..., it overleaned", LOL. Definitely a nice two step catch before to hit the ground, I think that helped a lot to not get seriously hurt.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mono said:

First words: "that hurt, ..., it overleaned", LOL. Definitely a nice two step catch before to hit the ground, I think that helped a lot to not get seriously hurt.

Yes the guy did have a strong performance running off the wheel. After watching the video a few times he definitely protected his 360 camera throughout the entire episode. 

49105559233_2a0a0c7c23_c.jpg

I was surprised at how many places he got some road rash despite appearing well-covered. It certainly appears that much of his armour slid, exposing skin.

This is the problem with armour that doesn't stay put - either due to poor restraint systems or the fact it hasn't slid on the asphalt on contact.

That said, he would have been a lot worse off without it I feel.

I think he only got the knuckle rash cos of his desire to save the camera, fair play I guess.

2 hours ago, giggidditygiggiddity said:

I don't know why this guys mten3 crash has just a few hundred views but this is by far the best point of view spill on an euc, I swear I watched this alot each week to think about my gear.

Way too many people think our wheels are more capable then they are. I forever want to stay far away from the 3rd beep yet so many people love to ride at those speeds.

Yeah I saw that video some weeks ago.  I haven't even gone that fast on the MCM5 (only 20 mph which is 2nd beep), and he's doing 22 on a diminutive MTen3 on rough asphalt.  That's just asking for it imho.  10" is not a cruising wheel ...

Edited by xorbe

Question to conservative Mten3 riders: what would you consider as "safe-ish" speed without any safety gear? I want to have a second, compact wheel for small errands and short-distance city explorations, without dressing like a robocop.

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

After watching the video a few times he definitely protected his 360 camera throughout the entire episode. 

I thought I heard quite distinctly the camera hitting the ground, but then it kept quite artistically focused on target :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Aneta said:

Question to conservative Mten3 riders: what would you consider as "safe-ish" speed without any safety gear? I want to have a second, compact wheel for small errands and short-distance city explorations, without dressing like a robocop.

I would think that crucially depends on your skills and in particular your run off capabilities.

Edited by Mono

23 minutes ago, Mono said:

I would think that crucially depends on your skills and in particular your run off capabilities.

I guess 10-15km/h tops.

I often find myself wanting to do a tiny exploration from the place where I parked my car - "what's out there around the corner?", "oh, this is a nice little park I haven't been to, what would be the most cozy place in it to relax?", etc. Circling in a car and reparking is tedious, walking around is slow and tiring, I just want to grab a tiny wheel and in 10 seconds be whizzing around. Even a compact powerful wheel like GT16 adds too much "friction" to little missions like these.

But Mten3's price tag ($1000) is way too much for this.

Edited by Aneta
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aneta said:

I often find myself wanting to do a tiny exploration from the place where I parked my car - "what's out there around the corner?", "oh, this is a nice little park I haven't been to, what would be the most cozy place in it to relax?", etc. Circling in a car and reparking is tedious, walking around is slow and tiring, I just want to grab a tiny wheel and in 10 seconds be whizzing around.

Yes, very understandable. I would consider a light 14" wheel for this purpose, KS or InMotion seem to come in mind, or the beautiful IPS Zero if it still existed.

6 minutes ago, Mono said:

Yes, very understandable. I would consider a light 14" wheel for this purpose, KS or InMotion seem to come in mind, or the beautiful IPS Zero if it still existed.

But they won't fit in a backpack, will they? One of the biggest selling points of Mten3 that it can be completely hidden in a backpack, great for public transportation, shopping centers, etc.

3 minutes ago, Aneta said:

But they won't fit in a backpack, will they? One of the biggest selling points of Mten3 that it can be completely hidden in a backpack, great for public transportation, shopping centers, etc.

I guess that crucially depends on the backpack :P, but I also personally decided that the wheel in a backpack is not an option for me, even for a for 11kg wheel. If I need to move but can't ride, I need a trolley, period.

56 minutes ago, Aneta said:

I guess 10-15km/h tops.

I often find myself wanting to do a tiny exploration from the place where I parked my car - "what's out there around the corner?", "oh, this is a nice little park I haven't been to, what would be the most cozy place in it to relax?", etc. Circling in a car and reparking is tedious, walking around is slow and tiring, I just want to grab a tiny wheel and in 10 seconds be whizzing around. Even a compact powerful wheel like GT16 adds too much "friction" to little missions like these.

But Mten3's price tag ($1000) is way too much for this.

Wasn't ewheels talking about making a $600 MTen version that was either less V or smaller battery? Wouldn't that fit what you're looking for?