The Gotway Tesla 1020wh Model Open Box and Initial thoughts

8 minutes ago, sbouju said:

How seems the plastics?

On feel, doesn't seem like any change from say the Monster or ACM matte finish type shells (albeit throwing in some carbon fiber finish on the side covers), but really no way to tell until you start dropping / roughing up the wheel.

10 minutes ago, sbouju said:

Very hard and easy breaking like the last GW models, or more soft and tolerant, as was those of the MCM2 and MSuper2, for example ?

Never tried the MCM2; only briefly tried the MSuper2. Overall response is reminiscent of current Gotway wheels that aren't the super wavy / soft MSuperV3.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreeing the fans seem pointless. Even on the Monster, what do they do? Nothing much. And no amount of fans would solve the overheating cable problem or any mosfet issue. As Marty said, the ACM and msuper V3 are really hard to overheat and no fans are needed. My guess is, GW simply copy the competition but don't know either if or what a fan should be good (for). I have no idea what the fans are good for on any other wheels as well;) Maybe general board/electronics cooling (longetivity?) and preventing heat accumulation in narrow board spaces (which the ACM and msuper V3 and also the Monster despite the fans don't have, lots of space around the board there)?

--

15 hours ago, houseofjob said:
  1. Cooling: the board + heatsink + fan stacked are now located atop the wheel casing (ala MCM4, all KingSong wheels, etc.) which improves cooling, but necessitates the taller height. IMHO this is a waayyyy better position than housing the board in the same enclosed compartment as the battery, and below the battery (ala ACM / MSuper) where the board is also first contact with water submersion.

Why is it better for cooling? (Serious question) With the old model, the board has a lot of air space, now it's cramped into a narrow spot, cables also pushed into this without cable channels (so they push against each other and the board parts), etc. Other than better airflow possibilities (front/back vents up there) is there any bonus to board-at-top? The current side board has a heat sink that opens to the inside, just no vents - I guess you could add some to side panels too.

15 hours ago, houseofjob said:
  2. Reduced Thickness: the Tesla, on brief try, is now a much more manageable thickness, so you no longer need to stand bowl-legged, like some users had complained for the higher battery versions of ACM / MSuper / Monster (FWIW, I got used to this thickness for my Monster)
  3. Better Pedal Clearance for Turns: because the overall height is now taller for the Tesla, the pedals can sit higher than previous Gotways, which is key IMHO for sharp instant turns, especially with the big ACM-style pedals, to prevent pedal scrape.

2 is just a matter of pedal ergonomics (aka have them be a bit further outside), and pedal height is also a design decision - they just would have to change their pedal brackets shape. Not disagreeing with your observations (which are just facts), just saying this is a matter of design, not necessarily board-on-top.

--

What also is a bit unnecessary is so much wasted space (where more batteries could be put). Now that the board is out of the way, there's even more space for batteries, why do they limit themselves to only a center pillar and keep the sides unused and blocked by plastic protrusions? KS does it too, WHYYYYYY??????:cry2:

Hoping I'm not looking like a Tesla hater here, just imho it's almost a step back in design. Certainly not a clear improvement to the ACM/msuperV3/Monster designs.

A+ for the video, but this model does not interest me in any way at all. In order for me to spend 2000. or so on any wheel again it would have to be significant improvement. Next gen. of Msuper etc. Not sure if I can comeback to 16" after riding 18". Msuper is just so, so smooth on the road, riding sidewalks I can barely feel them. Really, really happy with my Msuper, its here to stay till the next BIG thing.

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Agreeing the fans seem pointless. Even on the Monster, what do they do? Nothing much. And no amount of fans would solve the overheating cable problem or any mosfet issue. As Marty said, the ACM and msuper V3 are really hard to overheat and no fans are needed. My guess is, GW simply copy the competition but don't know either if or what a fan should be good (for). I have no idea what the fans are good for on any other wheels as well;) Maybe general board/electronics cooling (longetivity?) and preventing heat accumulation in narrow board spaces (which the ACM and msuper V3 and also the Monster despite the fans don't have, lots of space around the board there)?

--

Why is it better for cooling? (Serious question) With the old model, the board has a lot of air space, now it's cramped into a narrow spot, cables also pushed into this without cable channels (so they push against each other and the board parts), etc. Other than better airflow possibilities (front/back vents up there) is there any bonus to board-at-top? The current side board has a heat sink that opens to the inside, just no vents - I guess you could add some to side panels too.

2 is just a matter of pedal ergonomics (aka have them be a bit further outside), and pedal height is also a design decision - they just would have to change their pedal brackets shape. Not disagreeing with your observations (which are just facts), just saying this is a matter of design, not necessarily board-on-top.

--

What also is a bit unnecessary is so much wasted space (where more batteries could be put). Now that the board is out of the way, there's even more space for batteries, why do they limit themselves to only a center pillar and keep the sides unused and blocked by plastic protrusions? KS does it too, WHYYYYYY??????:cry2:

Hoping I'm not looking like a Tesla hater here, just imho it's almost a step back in design. Certainly not a clear improvement to the ACM/msuperV3/Monster designs.

My understanding is that the KingSong wheels have vents to the outside which would make the fans more useful, I think :confused1:

Just now, Marty Backe said:

My understanding is that the KingSong wheels have vents to the outside which would make the fans more useful, I think :confused1:

That's actually only true for the 18AY and 18S! The 14d/s and 16/s do not have Ventilation to the outside.

But: This wheeltype did not use the Standard Computer fans...they use this other fan type , i guess it is called "radial"...which blow directly on the mosfet/heatsink.

That's not ideal, too...but i guess a bit better solution than the "axial" fans.

On my old 18a with self solution and on my new 18S the Standard fan is quite good and when it works it lowers the temp very fast up to 15° Celsius. (Shown on the app as "Refrigeration on" :-) )

But here is the key the open Shell.

On the old 18a just the DIY openings alone had brought down the board/heatsink temperature significantly!

28 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

That's actually only true for the 18AY and 18S! The 14d/s and 16/s do not have Ventilation to the outside.

But: This wheeltype did not use the Standard Computer fans...they use this other fan type , i guess it is called "radial"...which blow directly on the mosfet/heatsink.

That's not ideal, too...but i guess a bit better solution than the "axial" fans.

On my old 18a with self solution and on my new 18S the Standard fan is quite good and when it works it lowers the temp very fast up to 15° Celsius. (Shown on the app as "Refrigeration on" :-) )

But here is the key the open Shell.

On the old 18a just the DIY openings alone had brought down the board/heatsink temperature significantly!

Hopefully I'll be able to test my 14S in the mountains very soon so I'll learn if the overheating has been fixed on the 14.

DUB (by Meng Yang):
==================
Product: GotWay Tesla 16”
Video dated 7 Sep. 2017 – Filmed by GotWay Shenzhen.

Hi everyone, welcome to Shenzhen GotWay.
Our new announcement is the GotWay Tesla 16” EUC.
Tesla improves on the ACM in many areas.
For example, integrated trolley, belt light, improved long-throw front headlight, upgraded motor from 1600W to 2000W (!???).
All riders are advised to keep to 20-30 km/h with suitable protective gears.

This is our packaging & unboxing.
Printed outside the box is information on model, battery capacity and color.
The weight of the 680Wh and 1020Wh models are 17 kg and 19 kg respectively.
Now to power ON with long press.
Tesla is a gorgeous wheel!
From the top, the front panel buttons are Power ON/OFF, USB, Charging port & Headlight.
Pedal height is 15 cm.
Let take a look at the integrated handle. Easy to pull out. Very convenient in wheeling Tesla around.
Now let’s free-wheel Tesla in the air to see the light-belt. Very beautiful! [Alarm beeps quickly & motor cut-out]

Now, enjoy a video on Tesla! xD

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Hopefully I'll be able to test my 14S in the mountains very soon so I'll learn if the overheating has been fixed on the 14.

It is a total new board with gigantic mosfets plus bigger heatsink plus radial pressure blower:-)

I take a bet....there will be no sign of overheat at all :-)

Design is the same on all S series.....Fan starts on 53° Celsius and runs till it is down to about 40° Celsius

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

It is a total new board with gigantic mosfets plus bigger heatsink plus radial pressure blower:-)

I take a bet....there will be no sign of overheat at all :-)

Design is the same on all S series.....Fan starts on 53° Celsius and runs till it is down to about 40° Celsius

I'm sure it will perform great in the mountains :thumbup:. I have high hopes.

But I have to test it to be sure :D

@KingSong69 Totally agree, venting the hot air is necessary for the maximal effectiveness of fans.

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Wouldn't the benefit be the wheel directly whipping cool air directly in the same plane as the fan/heatsink/board assembly, as opposed to the indirect side method?

Yes, they could've done the same cram-the-board-at-the bottom method that the ACM & MSuperV3 employ, with smaller battery pack board-side (to accommodate the added board dimension), then squeeze another pack atop where the board used to be, ala KS18 style.

But I personally prefer the current Tesla orientation, which echoes in the KingSong wheels & Rockwheel GT16... and gives the wheel an equal weight balance too, unlike the Monster 2400WH which houses 2 packs down one leg and is restricted to 1 pack board-side.

Don't all wheels need some buffer room for the battery, just in case, in a fall for example, something punctures the wheel, and thus possibly the battery pack so stuff like this doesn't happen?

On a side note for EUC & empty spaces - kinda wish someone started building pocket compartments into EUCs for tools, small groceries, ala Ninebot Mini Plus.

11 minutes ago, Meng Yang said:

No idea how to post Youtube video with preview.

Try removing the formatting by copying and pasting into a neutral place, like your browser address bar, then re-copy, and then paste into the post.

I think electric fans in an EUC are a bit silly (just my $0.02).  The wheel is already moving and losing energy through stabilization, braking and rolling resistance ... why not just add one more braking source with centrifugal fan blades.  Since most of us only ride in one direction (forward) the geometry is clear -- suck in air from the hub and point it at the control board/FET heat sinks.  "Centrifugal" (rather than axial fans like a Cooler Master type PC fans that are probably used in the Gotway) create a steadier, higher pressure airflow despite a lower flow rate than axials.  They require a higher power input, but you've got lots to spare in a 1900W motor; the faster you go, the more airflow you get.   Because of the high pressure they create, centrifugal fans are ideal for cooling.  The fan itself would have curved, probably plastic fins on the hub motor casing (just a plastic module attached to the wheel) and intake vents in the case next to the hub.  Point the airflow to the bottom of the heatsink for FETs and control board electronics, using ducts molded into the outside plastic casing when it is manufactured.

275px-CentrifugalFan.png

1 hour ago, Meng Yang said:

Testing 1, 2, 3, .....

It worked! Thanks! :D

That looks like it was shot in Fenglang Mountain Park, across the bay from Sai Kung Country Park (where I used to live).  Are you from HK? (I noticed you speak 普通话 but use 繁体字字母 and Richard Clayderman soundtrack in the video)

13 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

That looks like it was shot in Fenglang Mountain Park, across the bay from Sai Kung Country Park (where I used to live).  Are you from HK? (I noticed you speak 普通话 but use 繁体字字母 and Richard Clayderman soundtrack in the video)

@Chris Westland, you speak Chinese? You should be translating the Ninebot and Tesla videos that have been posted lately. Note necessarily literally, but in summary.

13 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

Lol :lol: Nope. You've misunderstood. I'm Singaporean. Neither from HK nor working for Gotway. I'm just a regular EUC rider who happened to pick up this video from Youtube a while ago and thought of sharing it in this forum. Since not everyone understands Mandarin, I thought I'd dub it. The only thing I couldn't dub was that cute girl's intention on her Tesla ... and if I had to guess, she must have thought she was on a 9B strolling ultra slowly (when she should be tearing down the road coz Tesla's designed to be a speedfreak's wet dream! :wub:). :P:P:P

4 minutes ago, Meng Yang said:

Lol :lol: Nope. You've misunderstood. I'm Singaporean. Neither from HK nor working for Gotway. I'm just a regular EUC rider who happened to pick up this video from Youtube a while ago and thought of sharing it in this forum. Since not everyone understands Mandarin, I thought I'd dub it. The only thing I couldn't dub was that cute girl's intention on her Tesla ... and if I had to guess, she must have thought she was on a 9B strolling ultra slowly (when she should be tearing down the road coz Tesla's designed to be a speedfreak's wet dream! :wub:). :P:P:P

:laughbounce2:  My assumption was that they found a beautiful woman and taught her the basics of riding straight so they could make the video. She probably can't ride that well.

Just now, Marty Backe said:

:laughbounce2:  My assumption was that they found a beautiful woman and taught her the basics of riding straight so they could make the video. She probably can't ride that well.

All she needs to do is to appeal to the target audience (who're disappointed her mini-skirt stayed in place :P). Riding skills seems secondary. IMO, Tishawn Fahie's wife, Melody, made the Tesla look so much more appealing! :wub::lol:

4 minutes ago, Meng Yang said:

Judging by her stiff, insecure posture I first thought she is not experienced rider, but if you look closely you can notice that she is wearing one of those "hidden high heel" shoes. That might be a reason for slow strolling :)

Just now, xebeche said:

Judging by her stiff, insecure posture I first thought she is not experienced rider, but if you look closely you can notice that she is wearing one of those "hidden high heel" shoes. That might be a reason for slow strolling :)

Yup. Strange choice of shoes to use. But to be honest, she's not that bad. Maybe not so experienced, but skillful enough to stand stationary on the Tesla for a sec. or two ... not bad at all! But I digressed. She looked really good in the video. Mission accomplished. That is all. :D

8 minutes ago, xebeche said:

It was the dog, she couldn't go any faster or the dog would not be in the video.:whistling:

Archived