Dream Electric Unicycle

exoplanet

1 hour ago, exoplanet said:

And that is why they are all inadequate. There needs to be a power reserve available at top speed.

come to think of it. A design of the device so it is more like a snow board in that if the motor cuts, you can still just glide to a halt rather than tipping forward would be nice.

???

How should the wheel still be stable if the motor cuts out? The motor is what keeps the weel upright all the time...

Also: How will you "glide" on a one wheel...you always need to apply power to a one wheel with pedals to stay stable.

That goes for mechanic unicycle, also....if you dont apply force to the pedals, you fall....

i guess what you mean is redundancy...but for that would need a second motor inside the one wheel, a second board, second batterys(so double the weight) AND a brandnew algorytm...because normally if a Mosfet burns, the wheel is blocked, so even a second motor will not help you fast enough before faceplanting.

The very first original Segway(60kg or more?) has had this redundancy...and has cost about 10000. If something failes it could bring you to a save and immedialtly stop. But i doubt the here used technique can be used on a onewheel, as much more leaning is applied there, one of the wheels is missing, and not that much space available.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And that is why they are all inadequate. There needs to be a power reserve available at top speed.

The is simple solution though. Set the top speed to a value where the wheel still has plenty of power, which is possible with a wheel whose top speed can be set to a small enough value.

On 15/01/2018 at 12:50 PM, KingSong69 said:

???

How should the wheel still be stable if the motor cuts out? The motor is what keeps the weel upright all the time...

Also: How will you "glide" on a one wheel...you always need to apply power to a one wheel with pedals to stay stable.

That goes for mechanic unicycle, also....if you dont apply force to the pedals, you fall....

i guess what you mean is redundancy...but for that would need a second motor inside the one wheel, a second board, second batterys(so double the weight) AND a brandnew algorytm...because normally if a Mosfet burns, the wheel is blocked, so even a second motor will not help you fast enough before faceplanting.

The very first original Segway(60kg or more?) has had this redundancy...and has cost about 10000. If something failes it could bring you to a save and immedialtly stop. But i doubt the here used technique can be used on a onewheel, as much more leaning is applied there, one of the wheels is missing, and not that much space available.

I agree to design an inherently stable unicycle is not easy. My thought was that using a gigantic wheel (or a segment thereof by means of tracks) would prevent the device from rolling forward. The short foot plate might not be long enough to manage to resist falling forward.

Or we could stand sideways so that we can resist falling forward with a wide leg stance like snowboard.

I think the ninebot is underpowered for all speeds, but a top speed of 5kmh seems like something it is suited for.

By the way. The other day I observed a ninebotter strugling in the snow. pedals too low, no grip, too narrow tyre. 

Oh and for me, a pothole hidden under the snow caught me off guard and had me landing on my feet. Problematic. A longer bridge (bigger diameter wheel or belt) would allow you to ride over the hole. Also a shock absorber with a long travel would prevent the hole exerting such strong forces. The there would be no cutoff or hard enough jolt to throw me off.

Oh. and lights and speed.

lowered pressure in tyres. Felt very nice to cancel out vibrations. Problem. At low speed, handling will suffer. up side, better driving on snow.

Solution. big diameter wheel or section thereof. wide tyre with lots of area for riding on loose snow, but very hard tyre so you can turn without much friction at low speed. make up for hard tyre with shock absorbers.

E17IcOf.jpg

When lifting the device, it must not spin like crazy. apparently inmotion v8 had some option.

also air vent must not be hidden

The unicycle need a place to lock it A loop of some sorts. the handle or something dedicated.

The unicycle needs sufficient lighting to be seen and to see.

also it must not spray you from behind. the perfect wheel that is.

It has to be safe even if you ride with earphones

question: do you guys have problems with acceleration, braking and going up or down hills because of large diameter wheels? think gotway monster or bigger? Problem being the short leverage you have because of the big wheel.

I am thinking for my track concept, how would one obviate this problem. The best performance is done with a small diameter wheel, but that comes with downsides in areas like curb climbing, potholes and snow. The pot holes could be remedied partially by shock absorbers and soft big tyres. the curbs are too big if you use a small wheel (but a belt in a v shape might work with the downside of more impact from pot holes)

Aha!!! I have the solution. We let the motor work from tilt angle or force applied to the pedals and not tilt angle of the whole machine. This would allow for additional tilting even in the face of a hill. springs would hold you mostly straight, but if you apply force, you could tilt more than the rest of the machine. Does this work?

By the way. I am thinking from my own use. What do you value in the euc?

I value

convenience- just grab and roll. no need to plan for a bus

Low cost of operation

practicality (I like wireless earbuds)

Speed

few rules that limit cars

ability to take with me into stores etc, but i would rather just step off and leave it by the entrance. perhaps a car key with remote.

portability. 15kg is too much. 5kg is bearable. trolley handle is good

What do you value?

How should we make a trailer one can pull behind with stuff to carry?man-pulling-hand-rickshaw-with-passenger

bw6qwkg.jpg

this one has space for two, can climb curbs as big as 20 cm as if they were 2cm, can climb up and down stairs and big steps down at least.

with 4000 wh you can get perhaps 100km at 30kmh and it has foot operated blinkers and horn as well as front light and brake light.

the tracks are wide enough to make most snowey conditions irrelevant and the leg pads are high up for stability. It has shock absorbers with 10 cm travel that also work at an angle forward.

this machine can bridge most potholes and has a track with a shape corresponding to a wheel of about 2 metres diameter. for winter you can screw in spikes and you get a key you can operate it with. step off. it is stable. walk away and lock it like a boss not looking back. You can take it up stairs with the handle as the standing and handle area always remain upright and you have a button operated stair climber helper mode. When you step on, it doesnt behave scarily like wheels of today. those are a danger to beginners.

Here your girl can step on first. then you.and then you activate it before you ride off. kick stand comes up when you begin riding and comes down when you come to a stop.

Top speed 60kmh.

doesnt splash you with water or mud, can operate in rain and in fact under water as well for scuba sports, and has a tracker that allows you to bust thieves or just stop the device. if they are carrying it, it shakes violently.

projects your speed on the asphalt with a laser. same with expected remaining range at your riding style.

Price. 2USD at your door, fully charged. Comes with injury and liability insurance and a 200 year warranty.

8000wh version available, top speed 80kmh, even bigger diameter wheel, 5 metres with space for three.

vXGIssA.jpg

16 inch wheel drawn  to illustrate. see through to shock absorbers  and always upright mechanism. 60 cm long foot plate for two riders.

dFA6c1u.jpg

20 inch wheel with a small motor mounted in the top, running at high rpm. to make it silent it runns on a polyurethane wheel. The pedals have shock absorbers and there is an inbuilt handle/trolley handle as well as mud guard, studs on plates and protruding lights front and back as  well as side blinkers.The space that was taken by the motor previously is now filled with battery cells. 5000Wh worth. Top speed of device 100kmh. maximum power 6000w, 12000w peak. Inbuilt quick charger and small storage compartment. Hor operated by feet as well as blinkers. can also be controlled by car like key or app on phone. Visible battery indicator on top of wheel and projected with speed and other trip data a few metres in front of the device. Place of projection moves ahead with increased speed. up to 20 metres ahead. it weighs a brutal 40kg. oh and it has the chargin wire rolled like in a vacuum cleaner and also has usb output power as well as a normal socket for powering anything needing normal household electricity. Perfect for a person living in a tent or trailer. charge for free somewehere, do your stuff and come back home. low maintenance.

by the way wheels should be able to lean against walls, unlike the gotway msuper. or it must have a built in thing like the trolley of the z10 or the add on for ninebot or something taht comes down at no speed and no applied weight allowing you to just step off.. the trolley must not be flimsy and should be placed on the correct place.

Safety would be 1st choice for sure (after you fall once or more, you dont wanna do it again), speed 35 km/h and on......, range 50 km good starting point. 18" wheel (maybe fat tire). So far my msuper v3s 1300 battery satisfies almost all my needs. 

Nineboot z10 could be my next purchase, but will wait and see......

I fell today from losing grip and the wheel spinning. or I touched the off button by chance with some snow.  Low speed. up a hill. maybe 10 kmh. Enough to land on my arms. didn't hurt too bad, but only luck that I wasnt driving faster.

It means that one shold add a water safe button, more power and tyres with better grip. or ride something inherently stable

6mKQGiW.jpg

ccuZg92.jpg

It has landing gear for when you stop and lift your weight off.

It has shock aborbers, 10 cm travel

it has inbuilt charger and a wire roller

It has a tiny motor in the top spinning at high rpm with a rubber roller for contact.

It has almost a front road motorcycle tyre

The whole thing is filled with batteries in the area that would be motor previously

It has 100 percent protective mudguards

It has a 20 inch tyre on outer diameter.

It doesn't have alot of bulk outside the wheel

three things to add. We should have a system that tells us weather we are driving in the most energy efficient manner at any given time. Some indicator light or whatever would tell us to ride faster or slower. Or it could be implemented in some sort of cruise control. Windspeed, inlination and actual road speed would be taken into account as well as the electronics' optimal operating conitions.

Second. We need a way of preventing sideways slipping. Happens when riding in an ice groove from cars having ridden somewhere before. Wide obese fatbike tyres. with spikes for winter.

Third, we need a way of preventing scratching sound from between the motor and shell. Both from mud, rocks and snow/ice.

What is the max weight you actually could carry without trouble? 15kg is too much for me. 5 kg would work.

How can we make trolleying the wheel feasible even without power?

Also how long power cord should the device have? I find that 3 metres would be nice, but even longer would be preferable so one can have some flexibility as to where you can recharge.

Also, It would be nice to be able to charge via usb+wireless+those big high voltage power outlets for machinery like jumboscreens and such in addition to car chargers.

Also. I tried to stop in traffic. I could not back up because I am not skilled enough yet, so I came to a halt, the wheel slipped from my foot while i put down a leg and hit my ankle before lying flat. Fun stuff. I think landing gear would be good.

at really high speeds one could have air brakes on one's shoulder to get to tilt back if there isn't enough power. But better to just add power.

I would like to add that it seems too many eucs get damaged and have to be repaired. That negates the advantage of zero maintenance. Fewer parts or more crash and weather and use proof design would be nice so that one doesnt have to shell out bcbucks for part or time on imaintenance.

could we add gyroscopes to the thing? to keep it stable? like that gyroscopemotorcycle with cabin.

also check this out.

Check out my new thread about accident reasons.

take a look at these shock absorbers.:

By the way. I think given the prevailing rules, we should aim to have manufacturers make one wheel motorcycles as well as eucs. Beef em up.

No screws. only levers and stuff to repair, exchange and open and change sheels.

you can balance ith one  piece of mass on a vertical axis. accelerate one way to turn that way and use acka nd forth to keep balance. good night.

Who here .... Ah now I remember.

What price is the righ prce for adream electric eiuc?

What wheel is the mot popular second wheel annd what is  its price?

What would the marke bear and separately, what would you wish? I would like to pay perhaps20-50 usd for a full high performance wheeel.

How can these  prices be achieved?

Are you drunk?

I mean, being polite and half joking, iv followed this forum for quite some bit, and seeing your post since you became a member, and taking into account your last thread about the list of accidents, i cannot think of any other two reasons than you have very sketchy balance or you are usualy drunk, when you ride your EUC.

Yes. that is about what I thought could be nice. Just a sleeker version. Is that a simpson episode or edited?

How can the price be reduced? Smaller motor at high rpm is one. Another i gasoline fuel cells (batteries are expensive up front) another is to incorporate all items into one piece so there is less mounting work to be done.

The new concept is taking form:

0yalebikew002.jpg

http://www.core77.com/posts/15986/Yale-MechEng-students-build-bike-with-hubless-wheel

Do we neeed air filled tyres?

How do we make it puncture proof?

I have read about people using soda bottles (pet film) to line the tyre and protect the inner tube as well as protecting from snake bites with a liner along the rim and side wall made of closed cell foam. Apparently some stuff they put in cracks in asphalt before paving on top.

Holy shit!! We can use two or more motors to provide redundancy if we use small motors and gears/rolling surfaces.

Ho do we reduce unsprung weight without losing too much space for batteries etc?

I think manufacturers should focus on building a one wheeled motorcycle rather than Euc or a toy.

https://www.gettyimages.no/detail/photo/businessman-walking-with-a-suitcase-royalty-free-image/102915408?esource=SEO_GIS_CDN_Redirect

I think one of the unicycles could look like a rolling cabin baggage suitcase thing. Slightly smaller than in the pictures. much narrower.  bigger wheell. Perhaps partially covered. Then you can roll it around without people staring too much and you can take it with you into restaurants and such without "bringing your dirty thing with you"

Another version could be more pure bred for driving with huge wheels or tracks or whatever. I personally am going to have a flying version.

24288021-businessman-walking-in-airport-trillekoffert_handbagasje.jpg

6 minutes ago, exoplanet said:

https://www.gettyimages.no/detail/photo/businessman-walking-with-a-suitcase-royalty-free-image/102915408?esource=SEO_GIS_CDN_Redirect

I think one of the unicycles could look like a rolling cabin baggage suitcase thing. Slightly smaller than in the pictures. much narrower.  bigger wheell. Perhaps partially covered. Then you can roll it around without people staring too much and you can take it with you into restaurants and such without "bringing your dirty thing with you"

Another version could be more pure bred for driving with huge wheels or tracks or whatever. I personally am going to have a flying version.

24288021-businessman-walking-in-airport-trillekoffert_handbagasje.jpg

You could put a ninebot in the suitcase, cut slots for the pedals to stick out, and cut the bottom of the case for the tire.

"bringing your dirty thing with you"

For those of us who like to 'bring our dirty things' into public, I suggest a bit of camouflage.

Brainstorming:

1. Try a cardboard box cover made to look like a suitcase (and just fold-up when finished).
  2. Buy a big enough bag... like for a folding bike or a bike wheel  (and let us know how it works out).
  3. Wear a ridiculous neon helmet and outfit; (people won't even see your wheel, believe me ;)).

4 hours ago, exoplanet said:

This leads me to thing a solid tyre would be better. No hassle with pressure, punctures and other stuff. Just a polyurethane strip like roller skates They provide nice rolling resistance and we would obviate a few problems.

Oh fuck. that is right. The reason I wanted self inflating tyres was because I want to ride on ultra wide tyres. When riding on snow, one could run low pressure and big road contact surface area. Then when you ride into an area without snow, the tyres reinflate and you can ride more efficiently.

And a wheel that could inflate or somehow expand from say 12" up to 16" would be cool. Shrink your wheel for going uphills to get more torque, and even for faster starts. Then expand the wheel for safer, faster, more stable, softer riding.

Carrying the wheel in winter becomes an extra heavy ordeal because of accumulated snow. I had to carry mine 15 kg ish for 2km. I was looking for power outlets everywhere. I found a few, but since I often short people's circuits with my wet charger, I decided to continue carrying it in stead of stealing electricity. Ample range, built in charger sheltered from weather, long cord, trolley handle, a way of removing snow easily and a lighter euc would be fantastic. Keep it under 5 kg and we are good.

that would be fantastic. Do you know of examples of this out there?

On 28/01/2018 at 8:13 AM, Scouts Honor said:

And a wheel that could inflate or somehow expand from say 12" up to 16" would be cool. Shrink your wheel for going uphills to get more torque, and even for faster starts. Then expand the wheel for safer, faster, more stable, softer riding.

22-Curiosity-Wheel.jpg

durability-e1511557318945-640x432.jpg

On 28/01/2018 at 8:13 AM, Scouts Honor said:

This could be accomplished with tracks or a belt as well. Adjusting the V shaspe of the belt. small contact area to big contact area depending on speed or accelleration.

So we add fat bike tyres, shock absorbers with long travel and inflatable pillows between two plates that move normally that is straight towards each other guided by rails or whatever so that our foot plates get inbuilt shock absorption. Then we can ride over potholes without paying more attention to them than do to small rocks or pebbles. BAM!

By the way. What would happen when the drive belt gets worn and the motor slips? Is that dangerous or would it just give some weird behaviour that would have to be corrected?

12 hours ago, exoplanet said:

22-Curiosity-Wheel.jpg

durability-e1511557318945-640x432.jpg

Wow! That's why I didn't pat myself on the back to much for thinking of it, because somebody probably already thought of it and then produced it

I dont think it changes diameter though. But perhaps something like it could be designed to do it. Perhaps by pulling those springs or wires in on the back side of the wheel.

Today I cycled a path I ofte ride with EUC. I rolled acros a pothole with loose grip and ass off seat. There was a substantial jolt, but not felt o my feet through the pedals. I found it acceptable in fact. If we can get the jolt when riding an euc down to the same level, that would be great. Think of riding over potholes without much regard or straight up a curb with no thought to it.!!! fantastic.

Have any of you ridden a motocross up a curb?

What did you guys pay for your wheels, and how much would you be willing to pay for a dream electric unicycle?

What is the optimal lowest pedal hight? I guess with a suspension that is decided by wheel diameter as well because you get more time to be accelerated up by the wheels new position.

But how low can we go? I frequently ride besides curbs as high as 15-20 cm. You?

I would like to add that clicking mechanisms and easy solutions for teardowns is paramanount. Unless you want to keep the dumb users safe or want to make money on repairs and stuff. What have car manufacturers and motorbike maufacturers opted for these days?

By the way. Did I mention that the air vent should be easily accessible?

On 30/1/2018 at 2:47 AM, exoplanet said:

What did you guys pay for your wheels, and how much would you be willing to pay for a dream electric unicycle?

700€ and 700€ or less. More affordable is more enjoyable

• Keith locked this topic

Archived