Dream Electric Unicycle

exoplanet

1 hour ago, exoplanet said:

To opitmise the handling, basically we end up with a chain saw like system with a chain or belt with polyurethane tread. Super narrow and very long.

no interference from sideways forces and ability to bridge potholes.

Something like this?  Only with one tread?  image.jpeg.926d9134bdc6f32b25d2271665dec87c.jpegThat is my idea also:clap3:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, exoplanet said:

Another way is to put sleepers (like for traintraks) across the tread to artifically make a narrrow tread wider. this would give traction in snow as well.

:huh:  What does that mean?:confused1:  Never mind, I don't want to know.:unsure:

2 hours ago, exoplanet said:

Something like this or withthegyros from the enclosed motorcycle earlier in this thread would be nice to have at stops. either in traffic, in pedestrian traffic or for short term stops.

Supposedly, the Honda Rider Assist technology doesn't use gyros (which would add extra weight). It uses robotic sensors to adjust the front wheel in order to maintain balance. How it's able to achieve this is a bit of a mystery, but the tech is rumored to have derived from the Uni-Cub project. Unfortunately, the Uni-Cub has been getting less useful as an euc for commuting purposes and has evolved into a bloated personal mobility vehicle for the decrepit (or lazy).

img_03.jpg

Any counter-balancing system is likely to be too heavy for our use; (and seems to work better with two or more wheels). Lets face it, the wheel itself (spinning really fast) is the best stabilizer were gonna get; (i.e. won't work at stops...)

5 hours ago, exoplanet said:

There should be some kind of laser that paints the road ahead so one can discover discontinuity in the laser lines and see hidden holes or dips in the road.

Also the device must be able to handle well with two people on it. or skinny and fat people alike. Perhaps gradually changing springs. soft at first, then firmer.

This laser idea I like . But as for riding tandem ...na. I like the the freedom from the wife that my wheel gives me . Throw a “side car” or extra platform in the mix and there goes Scott’s quiet time . ?

1 hour ago, exoplanet said:

So I think a capacitor to spare the batteries from charge and discharging hard  is good and it might save a few face plants.

My current thinking is that one should charge with electricity and use it to synthesize a fuel like diesel from air, then run it through a fuel cell to power the wheel and maintain a certain charge level of a super capacitor. Then surges can be handled easily by the super cap and the fuel cell system can throttle up or down to meet nominal power draw.

So about synthesizing fuel, Does one need an external water source, or could the water be drawn from the air with any meaningful efficiency?

Point is, with a litre of fuel, you can have say 10000wh load weighing 700-850grammes. LEss than a kilo in stead of say 35 kg.

With a tiny high speed motor, air bearings and a magnetic gearbox or even magnetic bearings, you can have a light weight maintenance free system.

If this kind of science interests you this much, you should study it in earnest. You're not going to get meaningful discussion or replies from this forum posting pseudoscience  about supercapacitors, fuel cells, and "synthesizing fuel" - it all comes across as ideas you heard about once and vaguely grasp, but don't really understand, and don't understand the drawbacks of.

You're designing your "dream electric unicycle" backwards, starting with all the specs you want at once, instead of realizing the limitations and abilities of modern technology and making compromises where necessary - you can't have speed, torque, lightweight, long-range, fuel-flexibility, pop-out stabilizer wheels, all at once... it's ridiculous.

You can cook up whatever pipe dream unicycle you want, but it's like an airplane designed by a 5-year old - sure you can tell us all the great things about it, but none of it is realistic, practical, or useful to the discussion of unicycle development, as evidenced by the lack of replies to your many pages of nonsense.

• Keith locked this topic

This topic is locked as it is now repeating itself ad nauseam.

More to the point, it was beginning to descend into abuse and that is a good indicator that enough is enough!

Archived