King Song KS-16S tire pressure?

novazeus

@Christoph Zens based upon the info on these tires, i think basically, me at 180 pounds, about 63 pounds over the tire manufacturers rating at max pressure of 65 lbs, i'll be riding on a underinflated tire with more sidewall deformation than it was designed for. should make riding the euc easier at the expense of tire wear. heat is the tire's enemy and underinflation and speed cause heat. the tire isn't rated for higher pressures so 65 psi is all it can take. in this application, these slow speeds, blowouts shouldn't be a problem but flats probably would increase as opposed to staying under the tire's rating. from my research, it seems the rim is also a factor in bicycle tires. if i had a choice between a 70 kg tire and a 100 kg tire, i'd pick the higher rating. that being said, the 100 kg tire might give a harsher ride and less traction. always a trade off. i don't like it, i use it  but tire slime is probably a good idea for our tires to alleviate tube pinches. bicycle tires are a pita generally anyway.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, novazeus said:

if i had a choice between a 70 kg tire and a 100 kg tire, i'd pick the higher rating

Me too. Back when I was riding a Ninebot One E+, I had a flat about two weeks into ownership, from a really small but sharp piece lying on the sidewalk. At that time, I tried to find a better tire, with a guard system to prevent this in the future. There were some tires available with guard systems (like Kevlar) at the required dimensions (also 16x2.125), but max load was a problem. I searched high and low, visited a lot of bicycle shops, everyone was really helpful, but no one could find a tire close to 100kg max load.

One guy recommended to look at scooter tires, but the ones I found, rated for higher load, were too wide. Eventually, I gave up. Repaired the flat and rode another 2000km happily without any incident. When I got the KS16S, I didn't even start looking. But I do watch tire pressure closely and try to ride at 4 bar as much as possible. After longer and faster rides, I check the tire temperature (by touching the tire). The tire does get pretty warm, but some if not most of this heat is coming from the motor, I guess.

well, as long as i don't put any more than 330 lbs on my ks-16s, i should be fine. afterall, kingsong rated the wheel for 330 lbs max load. not sure how they came up with that nimber. my ks-18s is rated the same with a 90 kg tire, so tire rating, doesn't factor in evidently. somebody put up a video about the place in china where all these things get created, and that for me was educational.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i believe that was the method too, but i’m still open to other theories.

ch861126.gif

Joking aside, a lot of the numbers on the specs sheets seem at least "optimistic" if not questionable on all wheels, like mileage and maximum climbing grade for example. Probably at least part of the problem is that the actual values are highly dependent on things like rider weight, current speed, battery state, ambient temperature etc. It's just easier to plot down something "general", although I have my doubts if for example a KS16S actually could handle 30 degree uphill acceleration with 150kg load or go 75km on charge with a heavy rider ;)  And since many of the potential buyers aren't engineers or such, putting graphs of something like acceleration vs speed vs weight vs grade vs... on the sheets would just confuse people. In the end, I guess those are more just "marketing material" rather than actual technical datasheets...

@esaj not being an engineer, i wondered if putting a tube in a tubeless bicycle tire incresed the load capacity. it’s just odd my little 9bots2 has a pressure range and no load capacity on the tire, the 16” on the ks-16s is load capacity 70kg with a pressure range up to 65psi, and the 18” tire 95kg and no pressure range, just inflate to 45psi. period. more of tire manufacturer question, not euc. thought maybe since euc makers buy a lot of these tires, they have info not publicly available.

20 hours ago, novazeus said:

@esaj not being an engineer, i wondered if putting a tube in a tubeless bicycle tire incresed the load capacity. it’s just odd my little 9bots2 has a pressure range and no load capacity on the tire, the 16” on the ks-16s is load capacity 70kg with a pressure range up to 65psi, and the 18” tire 95kg and no pressure range, just inflate to 45psi. period. more of tire manufacturer question, not euc. thought maybe since euc makers buy a lot of these tires, they have info not publicly available.

Tubeless tires usually have sharp interior edges and points that, when an innertube is inflated against the tubeless tire, often results in the innertube popping. That sharp edge is often right where the tubeless tire seals itself against the wheel rim; tires with tubes exhibit no such sharp transition.

• 8 months later...
On 9/4/2017 at 9:36 AM, HermanTheGerman said:

I always use 3.1 bar, which is somewhere around 45 psi, if I remember correctly.

I'm riding with that tire pressure on my KS16 since more than 3000 kilometers, no probs until now (my weight is around 80 kg).

If you are heavier, you may want to use more pressure. :)

Hi Herman, 

Thank you for the reminder about the  3.1bar. You are totally right. I don't know why I had in memory 2.5 bar , consequently I have probably ridden most of the time below the 2.5, over 1 600 km ! with a weight of 75 Kg. This could also explain a few things like the feeling I had riding at low pressure, the tire is already quite overused and lastly yesterday I got my first punctured tire, ... and as you can see on the picture I also damaged the rim.

Regarding the tube repair, I did not manage fixing it without removing the wheel. Do someone manage it ? 

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

• 1 month later...

I was recommended to run 2.2 bar on mine and it seems to be running fine, about the max load printed on the sidewall I had the same doubts but as was said before there is no specific tire for an EUC and there is actually a certification from Kenda stating that this tire can be used up to the rated weight stated on the specs of the KS-16S. I've seen the document. So basically the tire manufacturer warrants the use of that tire up to the rated weight specified by the manufacturer of the wheel.

• 2 months later...

EDIT: Just realised this is about the KS-16S, but this may be funny anyways ;) 

The manual of the KS18L says 2.5 pa (36 PSI), I used that and it feels right to me, not too soft, not too hard.

https://fccid.io/2AQAN-KS-18L/User-Manual/User-Manual-3917495

They changed the translation quite a bit compared to the Chinese version of the manual (which is the one on my box) :P

OZe3oe3.jpg

cQ3Aynn.jpgmouth-air.jpg

Archived