King Song KS-16S tire pressure?

novazeus

i'm confused. ks-16 manual says 2.5 bars which is like 37 psi. tire says min 40 psi max 65 psi and max load 70 kgs which is like 155 lbs. i don't get it.

my old harley suspension pump works well, takes forever but doesn't leak air out when unscrewing it.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_4830.JPG

IMG_4831.JPG

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, novazeus said:

@electricpen @HermanTheGerman i appreciate the advice on the tire pressure ur running but am i going crazy or don't know the secret how these tires are rated for capacity? 70 kg is like 155 pounds, the wheel weighs 38 so anything over 117 is over capacity, right?

IMG_4839.PNG

That's not the worst of it; I suspect those weights are for having two wheels, so me being 100kg on a single wheel means I'm far into the safety margin of the tire. Safety margins should never be used, otherwise they aren't really safety margins, and engineering history is replete with examples of people disastrously using the safety margin as their normal usage.

@LanghamP no, if u had two tires like this u could carry 140 kgs minus the weight of the tires, wheels, whatever else.

i'm just wondering if i was trying to sell one of these things and i'm trying to convince somebody they'll carry their weight over 117 pounds, just disregard the molded in capacity rating on the tire.pretty important component of this device.

3 hours ago, novazeus said:

i'm just wondering if i was trying to sell one of these things and i'm trying to convince somebody they'll carry their weight over 117 pounds, just disregard the molded in capacity rating on the tire.pretty important component of this device.

To be honest, I never looked at what is printed on the tire.

From time to time I look into the tire pattern, but it still looks good.

I had once a Ninebot MiniPro, one of the tires was gone after 600 kilometers (a bubble appeared and became bigger and bigger, but these were tubeless tires).

But as mentioned I never had problems with the KS16, though what you write is of course correct.

you know the first time i saw this guy on a euc, i think the first thing that popped in my head was, how or what is that little wheel that can hold up that portly guy. 9bot tire doesn't have capacity rating on its little 14" tire. ks18s tire is a little better. at 90kg = 198.416 pounds minus 46 for the wheel = 152.416 rider with gear weight. better start slimming down.

IMG_4849.PNG

and who is running the max pressure on the tire? because from what i know about tires, and unfortunately i have waay too many, if u were to run a little over capacity, u better be running at max pressure. on my roadking, they wanted 4 psi more in the back and 2 up front, if riding double, but the goodyear guy that makes their tire said u were better off tire wise running that way single, if u didn't mind sacrificing a little performance or comfort. they use to say back then that running nitrogen made the ride softer. idk about that.

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

and who is running the max pressure on the tire? because from what i know about tires, and unfortunately i have waay too many, if u were to run a little over capacity, u better be running at max pressure. on my roadking, they wanted 4 psi more in the back and 2 up front, if riding double, but the goodyear guy that makes their tire said u were better off tire wise running that way single, if u didn't mind sacrificing a little performance or comfort. they use to say back then that running nitrogen made the ride softer. idk about that.

Ninebot one E+ 16 inch tire says 35-45 psi.  I pump it to 50, feels very firm but not like rock hard, after a couple weeks it leaks down enough to start feeling a little mushy, when I pump it back up it is usually at 40 psi.  No load rating on the tire.  

I have a KS16 with that tire, and I weigh 215lbs, probably on the high end of people who ride these.  With the weight of the wheel that's probably close to 250lbs.  Plus on short trips (5km) I've picked up probably 25lbs of groceries in a backpack.  3000km + and no problems with the tire.  I usually run 50psi.  Once it drops too low (35-40psi) the tire feels mushy and you can feel it bottom out when hitting certain bumps.

My tire is getting to end of life though, it has a pretty good flat spot in the middle.  Might get one more season out of it - I already bought a replacement.

@Xoltri yeah that's crazy how the load capacity is rated and stamped on the tires. if your ks-16 was the very first wheel you were buying, and understanding how load capacity ratings on tires is supposed to be interpreted, would that 70kg max load give you pause before making your purchase. i know if i was buying a trailer, and it had 4 tires rated at 3000, and the trailer weighed 2000, and the seller was telling me it would hold 12000, i'd walk.

True, I agree with that on a trailer.  But I guess in this case real world data trumps the number printed on the side of the tire.  I follow this forum pretty closely and I can't remember anyone having a catastrophic tire blowout.  I think KingSong rates their KS16 to 300lbs.  I've carried my 80lb kid short distances so I've tested that as well - no blowout.  Of course that was a low speeds for safety purposes.

49 minutes ago, novazeus said:

yeah that's crazy how the load capacity is rated and stamped on the tires. if your ks-16 was the very first wheel you were buying, and understanding how load capacity ratings on tires is supposed to be interpreted, would that 70kg max load give you pause before making your purchase.

Bottom line is that none of these tyres were made for EUC's, in fact I do not think there are yet any tyres made specifically for EUC's? 

They are made for little 14", or 16" bikes which are not going to have big heavy riders on them. The numbers on the side of them reflect the use the manufacturer expected them to have so we have no option but to ignore that and put in the pressure that works best for us. There is obviously going to be well over twice the weight they were designed for as the manufacturer will expect that to be shared by at least two wheels.

As for the 70Kg limit putting off new riders, the majority do not seem to even notice that the tyre hasn't got enough air in it, at least one person on this forum has ruined the tyre in the first few days by riding the wheel flat so I REALLY doubt many riders will notice what is written (usually in black on a black tyre!) on the sidewall.

tyre deflection/ deformation is the issue here and it is that which the recommended pressure is designed to handle. If the weight on the tyre is twice that expected then the pressure will also have to be close to twice what is expected to prevent the tyre deforming too much due to the weight.

I think over the last few years, and reflected in some of the above posts, we have between us worked out ball park figures for the right pressures for our use.

@Keith i get that. euc riders never noticed the load capacity of the tires. the ninebot guy never questioned or looked at it until yesterday when i pointed it out to him. i wouldn't think exceeding the air pressure rating on a tire would be good. i just read an article about cyclists overinflating by a few pounds and in the hot weather, the tires experiencing blow outs, which would be worse than getting a slow flat. i'm guessing the trade off is running as high a pressure but not exceeding the tire rating as you can for tire life and low enough for rideability. oh yeah, in america, we got like one lawyer per ten people. whether prospective buyers notice the deficient tire or not, someday it will show up in court. remember suv rollovers? that's why there are tpm's on all vehicles now. if i was selling euc's, they'd either have suitable components or i wouldn't sell them. that is begging to be sued. 

On 7.9.2017 at 8:34 PM, novazeus said:

@Keith i get that. euc riders never noticed the load capacity of the tires.

Not quite. There is another recent thread on this:

On 4.8.2017 at 11:08 PM, RenaissanceMan said:

The Kenda K1039-900 tyre of an original Kingsong KS16S wheel has engraved "Max Load 70 Kg" on it while the wheel itself is advertised for a load of up to 120Kg :confused1:.

Should I worry riding this wheel (KS16S about 18Kg plus rider's weight of about 90Kg, total of 108Kg, i.e. 38Kg above the tyre's rating) :cry2: ?

What is the load limit of your EUC tyre? Are there (16") tyres rated for higher loads than 70Kg?

Has anybody experienced failure of an EUC tyre due to overweight?

Thanks for your attention!

@RenaissanceMan i didn't see it. probably because of the different spelling. obviously the tire(tyre) works ok but it strikes me funny how a manufacturer can cobble together a product without getting it right. it is what it is. theoretically, a 70kg tire should have more flats than say a 100kg tire. if somebody experiences a blowout that results in injury or death in america, i guarantee u, one of america's lawyers will be going after king song, the vendor who sold it, the tire company etc etc. as far as i'm concerned, if i sold my wheel to someone else, they'd have to sign a waiver regarding the load capacity of the tire and not to be used by anybody over 117 pounds. i have enough trouble without knowingly making myself liable. i'm not happy with king song engineering. i notice nobody from king song has commented, they can't, nothing they can say.

Archived