Custom Built to Spec Electric Unicycles Now Available

Austin Marhold

7 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Why not show some of your 24 inch wheels you're offering? 

To my understanding Austin wrote that they plan to build those, or could build them on demand, not they are ready to be shown off. So that's why, I guess.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Austin Marhold said:

Any further vapor ware concerns? lol... go do this on any other device in the world and come back to complain about my impossible spec. ;)

I dig that wheel a lot. Could it be as cool in a 14-16" wheel? What do you think about offroading abilities for the small tire as compared to a larger tire? I do like the portability. If those specs prove true in real world use, I will be in heaven on that wheel! 60 miles could take me to the beach and back! 

If that video wasn't sped up, those clips looked pretty darn fast to me for a 12" wheel.  :blink:  Although I'm coming from a Ninebot One E+ so even a mobility scooter looks to be going pretty quick in comparison.  :cry2:

I hope we're not getting off on the wrong foot here as I think we're all excited to see how this Pulse Glider ends up to be.  Maybe if a few SF riders can experience a short demo of the wheel without giving away any trade secrets, it would really solidify the capabilities of the wheel for everyone and start the viral campaign buzz that any new start-up wants to see.  If it can wow even the seasoned riders, you bet people will be eager to get on the Kickstarter campaign. 

I mean, what better than to have guys like @SuperSport and @who_the experience riding the Pulse Glider prototype and give their take on it.  If it is truly the quantum leap wheel we all lust after, I'm sure they would be able to give their honest opinions of it from an independent viewpoint.

Have you seen this video by who_the?  I can't speak for them, but I think these guys are pretty hardcore and would love a chance to see the PG in person.

6 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I mean, what better than to have guys like @SuperSport and @who_the experience riding the Pulse Glider prototype and give their take on it.  If it is truly the quantum leap wheel we all lust after, I'm sure

I have seen @who_the 's collection of wheels, and he does have a V8 (Hope he treats the prototype better than he does the V8) that I saw in his orange kitty warming pics. So he will totally be able to exploit the maneuverability of the Prototype. 

On 9/14/2017 at 6:48 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe some of the San Francisco riders ( @SuperSport @who_the @NevNutz @electricpen et al) can contact Austin to get a first person's look and try of the wheel to report back to us here with their impressions.  I really want to believe that he has developed the next generation of EUC, but it's always best to be cautious before fully backing something like this.  :efef927839:

I have rode this Austin's wheel many times. It's definitely got balls for a 12 inch wheel. Very easy to control and very responsive and agile. The pedals being very high does help. I can't disclose certain features as Austin wants it keep secret for now. Its definitely different from all the EUCs out there currently. He is looking for investors or VCs if anyone knows any?

The problem with some Western investors / venture capitalists is that they want company control, patent the heck out of everything, sell at way higher than the market will bear to try to recoup their money, and spend all the money in losing battles suing people to defend their IP.  Their products then tend to not take off until the Chinese clone it and sell for cheaper.  I think we all know the successes of the original Segway and Inventist.

I wonder whether a company like Ninebot would be interested as they need something to freshen up their brand.  The Ninebot Z is interesting, but it's not earth shatteringly different.  Maybe working out a Dragon's Den sort of deal with Ninebot/Segway/Xiaomi while getting some royalties and development income would be preferable to manning the entire show.  You really need deep pockets and the right connections to get a project like this off the ground and into the market.

9 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

The problem with some Western investors / venture capitalists is that they want company control, patent the heck out of everything, sell at way higher than the market will bear to try to recoup their money, and spend all the money in losing battles suing people to defend their IP.  Their products then tend to not take off until the Chinese clone it and sell for cheaper.  I think we all know the successes of the original Segway and Inventist.

I agree, what this guy needs is a distribution relationship with one of these companies or another control board manufacturer and then with motor and wheel distibutors and build the intellectual property in US. Like the Apple iPod, and iPhone which has its guts made in China and Taiwan and then the valuable intellectual property installed in the US. A Taiwan control board maker and wheel manufacturer would cut overhead costs and allow Pulse Glider to piecemeal their funding per batch and as the labor pays off in sales add more funding.

I could totally get behind that along with a kickstarter to ensure an order supply. It is a long term structure for the risk, but the payoffs could also be as high.

7 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I mean, what better than to have guys like @SuperSport and @who_the experience riding the Pulse Glider prototype and give their take on it. 

@NevNutz is many times the wheeler I am,  and a dealer too. Not too many opinions on wheels I hold in higher regard than his. I haven't ridden the Pulse Glider but would of course love to, and report back what I can. 

22 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder whether a company like Ninebot would be interested as they need something to freshen up their brand.  The Ninebot Z is interesting, but it's not earth shatteringly different.  Maybe working out a Dragon's Den sort of deal with Ninebot/Segway/Xiaomi while getting some royalties and development income would be preferable to manning the entire show.  You really need deep pockets and the right connections to get a project like this off the ground and into the market.

You're thinking too small. Why not take a small group with prototypes to Tesla HQ in Palo Alto and ride around at lunchtime for a week straight? :)

tESLAhq.jpg

I was going to suggest trying to approach Elon Musk, but I have the feeling that he likely invests in larger projects with much higher potential ROI.  These EUCs might be interesting to him,  but they are small pickings compared to lifting commercial satellites into space.

It is mind boggling though how the creator of Paypal managed to get so far in life.  Tesla almost went under at one point as they were struggling for a while with development problems and pushing back customer delivery schedules.  I remember watching a good documentary about him.  Fun fact - he appeared in Iron Man 2.

I really hope all the best for you and cant wait to see the wheel come out for sale, but I'm not looking to do tricks on it, Im looking for is transportation... I drive my car less and less, I feel good for saving and not polluting environment. I hope that you'd introduce at lease 16" maybe 18" or bigger. Really enjoy my Msuper v3s+ and each time I try my sons ACM, it just fills flimsy, tiny, not as stable...

• 2 weeks later...

Its mesmerizing to watch Austin ride, he certainly has flow. I worry about bumps on a small wheel as you hit closer to the axle as you get smaller wheel diameters. Lighter means more portable and no one likes carrying 20kg up 3 flights of stairs. Everything is a trade off in design and I'm curious to see how the product matures. 

Best of luck to Austin and his team. We need people willing to take risks in design and push the boundaries and standard conceptions of what an EUC is and can be.

• 4 months later...
On ‎15‎.‎09‎.‎2017 at 11:38 PM, Austin Marhold said:

Any further vapor ware concerns? lol... go do this on any other device in the world and come back to complain about my impossible spec. ;)

30mph.. We already have but it looks even faster in the video... But to be honest its not hard to apply about +30% speed and without it being noticeable.. So im skeptical.. Very... I need some proof

Austin's wheel is real and performs up to his claims. I have ridden it personally and ridden with him along side my MSV3. His 12-inch is faster than my 18 by quite a margin. When I rode his prototype last year there were still some rough edges but clearly a ton of potential. I have not spoken with him in several months and don't know his project's current status. 

3 minutes ago, who_the said:

Austin's wheel is real and performs up to his claims. I have ridden it personally and ridden with him along side my MSV3. His 12-inch is faster than my 18 by quite a margin. When I rode his prototype last year there were still some rough edges but clearly a ton of potential. I have not spoken with him in several months and don't know his project's current status. 

I can only see two things in that video.. A guy spinning and the wheel accelerating up to about 30kph then video stops... its fun how every video evades proving that it is real...

Believe what you want to believe, honestly I couldn't care less... I know what I saw (along with others) and what I rode and experienced. I can't vouch for all of the wheel's alleged capabilities, but I can definitely tell you it exists and it is not simply some other wheel in disguise.

20171001_182740.jpg.4a7200c72c21e965eb49976870b4c3d7.jpg20171001_175343.jpg.abfb445f5c2e5d66f3936e96303ecb9b.jpg20171001_175309.jpg.d7b1f0c4563bd7c0c1d8e989f20046af.jpg 20171001_174114.jpg.d786e33f05b00209155bc7d7e611298d.jpg

That Looks awesome. Its 12" tire will give lightning acceleration with his motor specs. I am curious as to how it performs over trails and potholes. If it has enough torque, it should handle the bumps better than a larger tire since the bumps wont act as ramps like they do with the larger tires. The smaller tires handle the cobblestone type of bumpy trails better than my ks18s. 

That long profile shell has got to give more area to hold the wheel between the legs for more stability going airborne or over beat up roads. Someone has got to take possesion of his fare to see what he has come up with for us. Is he making any for sale yet?

1 hour ago, who_the said:

Believe what you want to believe, honestly I couldn't care less... I know what I saw (along with others) and what I rode and experienced. I can't vouch for all of the wheel's alleged capabilities, but I can definitely tell you it exists and it is not simply some other wheel in disguise.

20171001_182740.jpg.4a7200c72c21e965eb49976870b4c3d7.jpg

hmm now when i can see it clearly it definetly looks like a real thing. but the specs are just pretty far out.. so i dont know to be honest.. but i believe that it exists.. and he made it himself. 

but capabilities.. i dont know the triangle diesing is not really my style.. but if the specs hold true..then it must be a pretty cool wheel. but one thing i know.. it will be waaayyyy out of my budget :P

1 hour ago, Coffee guy said:

Do you think it's possible that when he said "not cheap" he could've meant "qualitatively"? (hope so)

Maybe he needs to clarify what he meant so we can have a better perspective.

when he saids its not cheap i think he means what he saids "not cheap" that means he will be asking for a lot of money when he sells it

since he is not mass producing it or anything yet for him to pay for the materials to make it its more expensive per wheel he makes when he buys a smaller quantity of materials

so by "not cheap" he means he will be asking for a pretty big amount of money.. but quality wise i dont know

• 2 weeks later...

would really like to know what not cheap means.... 1500 usd., 2500 usd., 3000 usd. or 4000 usd. This way I can at least potentially consider it or just wake up and say "that was an interesting dream".

• 3 months later...

Archived