Custom Built to Spec Electric Unicycles Now Available

Austin Marhold

People know me and have seen in the prototype in person, my specs are real.

Current build:

• 520wh
  • 4000w motor
  • 12 in x 3 in (fat tire)
  • 32 mph / 50kmh
  • Next level smoothness and intelligence algorithm response (gw feels like it's from the stone age after riding this)
  • energy consumption typically 11-15 wh per mi at 12-15 mph, up to 25 wh/mi consumed in worst case at 20-30mph
  • pedals 5.5in from the ground, can go over a curb easily, never pedal clip during turning

Private message me for video etc.

Not Cheap.  Not Slow.

Next Gen for preorder:

• 1600wh+
  • 8000w motor
  • 300lbs + capacity
  • 12 or 24 in tire (made to order)
  • 30mph+
  • Designer shell
  • anything you can imagine per order

Add me on FB and shoot me a message if you want more info.

facebook.com/austin.marhold

D8.80.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

@Linnea Lin Gotway @Jane Mo @Diana@szkingsong.com @Jason McNeil

You guys might want to take note of this up and comer with the crazy specs... the possibilities of a joint venture or custom build might be very interesting... The not cheap part does worry me a bit though...

Love the spec's on this wheel and the energy efficiency of the motor.

"not cheap" will probably scare most people away, including me :(. If anyone ever gets wind of the cost drop a line here.

Unfortunately I'm probably stuck using the production models from China :crying:

Difficult to say whether this guy is the real deal or someone who took an IPS A130 turbo, stripped the shell off, created a custom shell, upped the pedals, and is promising vaporware?   People with the proper credentials usually will mention where they received their education, but I don't see any mention of any electronics engineering degrees.  There is mention of some 3D graphic modelling on his portfolio.  Maybe he's more a conceptual artist and 3D Render expert who has some contacts who can help put together a wheel based on his creative designs?

http://portfolioaustinmarhold.weebly.com/

How do people determine the wattage rating of a motor?  1900 W (eg. Gotway Tesla) vs 4000 W seems quite a jump in specification.  I think I have to reign in my enthusiasm a bit more at this point as something doesn't quite add up.  Unless maybe he has a lot of contacts in both mechanical and electrical engineering who he draws upon, it will be interesting to see if the product lives up to the specs put forth.

EDIT:  The more I look at the design, the more I think that those triangular modules most likely are battery packs?

4 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Difficult to say whether this guy is the real deal or someone who took an IPS A130 turbo, stripped the shell off, created a custom shell, upped the pedals, and is promising vaporware?

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but it seems to have much faster acceleration and speed than a cheap wheel with a 260wh battery.  Who knows, it might be his riding skill that gets the most out of the wheel.  It'll be vaporware to me until we see more evidence.

18 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Difficult to say whether this guy is the real deal or someone who took an IPS A130 turbo, stripped the shell off, created a custom shell, upped the pedals, and is promising vaporware?   People with the proper credentials usually will mention where they received their education, but I don't see any mention of any electronics engineering degrees.  There is mention of some 3D graphic modelling on his portfolio.  Maybe he's more a conceptual artist and 3D Render expert who has some contacts who can help put together a wheel based on his creative designs?

http://portfolioaustinmarhold.weebly.com/

How do people determine the wattage rating of a motor?  1900 W (eg. Gotway Tesla) vs 4000 W seems quite a jump in specification.  I think I have to reign in my enthusiasm a bit more at this point as something doesn't quite add up.  Unless maybe he has a lot of contacts in both mechanical and electrical engineering who he draws upon, it will be interesting to see if the product lives up to the specs put forth.

EDIT:  The more I look at the design, the more I think that those triangular modules most likely are battery packs?

I can tell you from personal experience that it is not an IPS a130.I have the A130 and it has no where near the power of the wheel in the video.Even the new Mten3 (which I also have) would seem less powerful than the wheel in the vid.;)

From the earlier videos of him on the Gotway 8" and 10" wheels, it's clear that he loves the agility of the the small wheels. So that's probably why he has created this 12" wheel. It's still very small which helps a lot in the agility department, which he is aptly demonstrating in this last video.

Maybe some of the San Francisco riders ( @SuperSport @who_the @NevNutz @electricpen et al) can contact Austin to get a first person's look and try of the wheel to report back to us here with their impressions.  I really want to believe that he has developed the next generation of EUC, but it's always best to be cautious before fully backing something like this.  :efef927839:

It's the real deal, every part built for it's purpose, not just some cn ebike parts here.  I've spent the past 4 years dedicated to developing what is now know as the Pulse Glider.

2 of those years were spent in china learning industry level design/engineering in startup environments from world class engineers and industrial designers.  The posted portfolio is a few of the client project examples from contract's I've picked up to bootstrap my development.

Every system within the premise of self balancing has been re-evaluated from the ground up and meshed with the other parts in the most effective manners.  The level of calibration that goes into this is really unbelievable, but you will see the performance difference for yourself in the upcoming video that was shot today.  Hit 25+ mph on rough terrain.

I am no longer offering prototypes for sale at this time but will launch a Kickstarter in the next few months bringing many fundamental design changes/enhancements within my companies ownership in Intellectual Property. I'm not concerned about ninebot/solowheel etc as my design isn't a copy of theirs and utilizes a different approach entirely.

I haven't asked anyone to back anything yet, this forum post is mostly to feel out the communities response to a high spec design option before I invested my effort into it.

And I'll be real guys; none of my main advancements are set up to be shown in demo videos yet as my entire focus is on building/testing/moding the design as opposed to filming it. (not including today shoot, editing video over the next few days so stay posted).  The model in the leak is 4kw+ near continuous as measured by an inline volt/amp/watt/wh meter.  Not just guesses.  Honestly I'm surprised that was the first person to make it into the unicycle groups as I've been riding around San Francisco for a few months now...  And it's not vaporware as I've been committed for the last 4 years already, and staying committed till the ultimate wheel exits no matter what.  This is my life, I live and breath to do the R&D in this tech (live/breath etc for other reasons too...)

Anticipated kickstarter spec: 1600wh (60mi at 20mph avg), 35mph, 12.5in (more sizing coming later), 8kw in all weather, all hill conditions, all riders (300lbs full potential, 400lbs limited speed option), USA Assembly and QC, weight of 9-12kg (that's like a 7kg battery so that's part of the min weight cap, but still many kg under the segway z10 with far more range and power), 30 min charge to 85%, app integration with new pro balance response tuning options, bright headlight/tail light, battery indicator visible from riding position, water bottle connector, locking point, not sharp pedals the size of your feet but not smaller than them, and things that I can't talk about now due to IP.

IMG_1809.JPG

Cautious! Heck with that, we are the people who are riding around on one wheel, cuz we're cautious. I will eagerly await your Kickstarter and send you money when its available. Contact me Direct if you want to build me a prototype. It's about time we got American Ingenuity on this thing.

1 hour ago, Austin Marhold said:

It's the real deal, every part built for it's purpose, not just some cn ebike parts here.  I've spent the past 4 years dedicated to developing what is now know as the Pulse Glider.

2 of those years were spent in china learning industry level design/engineering in startup environments from world class engineers and industrial designers.  The posted portfolio is a few of the client project examples from contract's I've picked up to bootstrap my development.

Every system within the premise of self balancing has been re-evaluated from the ground up and meshed with the other parts in the most effective manners.  The level of calibration that goes into this is really unbelievable, but you will see the performance difference for yourself in the upcoming video that was shot today.  Hit 25+ mph on rough terrain.

I am no longer offering prototypes for sale at this time but will launch a Kickstarter in the next few months bringing many fundamental design changes/enhancements within my companies ownership in Intellectual Property. I'm not concerned about ninebot/solowheel etc as my design isn't a copy of theirs and utilizes a different approach entirely.

I haven't asked anyone to back anything yet, this forum post is mostly to feel out the communities response to a high spec design option before I invested my effort into it.

And I'll be real guys; none of my main advancements are set up to be shown in demo videos yet as my entire focus is on building/testing/moding the design as opposed to filming it. (not including today shoot, editing video over the next few days so stay posted).  The model in the leak is 4kw+ near continuous as measured by an inline volt/amp/watt/wh meter.  Not just guesses.  Honestly I'm surprised that was the first person to make it into the unicycle groups as I've been riding around San Francisco for a few months now...  And it's not vaporware as I've been committed for the last 4 years already, and staying committed till the ultimate wheel exits no matter what.  This is my life, I live and breath to do the R&D in this tech (live/breath etc for other reasons too...)

Anticipated kickstarter spec: 1600wh (60mi at 20mph avg), 35mph, 12.5in (more sizing coming later), 8kw in all weather, all hill conditions, all riders (300lbs full potential, 400lbs limited speed option), USA Assembly and QC, weight of 9-12kg (that's like a 7kg battery so that's part of the min weight cap, but still many kg under the segway z10 with far more range and power), 30 min charge to 85%, app integration with new pro balance response tuning options, bright headlight/tail light, battery indicator visible from riding position, water bottle connector, locking point, not sharp pedals the size of your feet but not smaller than them, and things that I can't talk about now due to IP.

IMG_1809.JPG

I'm lovin what you have to say and am very excited about the prospects of a wheel as you describe. The spec's are great. Sounds like a real enthusiasts wheel which is right up my alley. My enthusiasm is only tempered by the unknown cost.

If you are evaluating interest than I think you owe it to us and yourself to provide a realistic price range. Many of us would probably say, "Hell yeah I want this wheel, sign me up". But then if the price point comes in at double the cost of the nearest semi-competitive wheel (I'm going to say Gotway), then you'll probably lose the majority of your potential sales. That's just reality.

So if you want an honest reading of the communities financial interest (i.e., people that will most likely buy the Pulse Glider) in your product, please provide a realistic price point that you will be shooting for.

I've paid $2600 for a Monster which has an amazing range and riding comfort. I might pay in that price range for what you describe. If it's less, of course that would be great. But as an example, if it was $4000 I probably would not buy it because the Pulse Glider wouldn't represent such a dramatic difference between, say the ACM or MSuper (I'm a Gotway guy). I'm pretty sure it would be better, but probably not $2000 better (I'm only speaking for me of course).

I'm sure you're well aware of the existing market. Probably the sweet spot for a standout wheel such as the Pulse Glider is going to be in the sub $2500 range, if you want to sell more than a few.

I'm pulling for you and can't wait to see your future offerings. :cheers:

1 hour ago, Austin Marhold said:

60mi at 20mph avg), 35mph, 12.5in (more sizing coming later), 8kw in all weather, all hill conditions, all riders (300lbs full potential, 400lbs limited speed option), USA Assembly and QC, weight of 9-12kg (that's like a 7kg battery so that's part of the min weight cap, but still many kg under the segway z10 with far more range and power), 30 min charge to 85%, app integration with new pro balance response tuning options, bright headlight/tail light, battery indicator visible from riding position, water bottle connector, locking point, not sharp pedals the size of your feet but not smaller than them, and things that I can't talk about now due to IP.

Some of these specs are just not working together....

1600wh in 30min to 85%? That's a 2800-3000Watt charger....against our 120Watt ones nowadays...would blow my fuses at home :-)

8kw? Are you kidding... Which batterie system produces 8000Watt?

I am a little skeptical about this specs, sorry!

18 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Love the spec's on this wheel and the energy efficiency of the motor.

"not cheap" will probably scare most people away, including me :(. If anyone ever gets wind of the cost drop a line here.

Unfortunately I'm probably stuck using the production models from China :crying:

Cheap, reliable, fast.

You can choose 2 out of 3 :lol:

6 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Cheap, reliable, fast.

You can choose 2 out of 3 :lol:

I'm certainly OK with it not being cheap. Let's just hope it's semi-competitive with the current crop of performance wheels.

11 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

That's a 2800-3000Watt charger....against our 120Watt ones nowadays...would blow my fuses at home :-)

My breakers are rated for 16 amps which gives me about 3.6 kW on a single outlet. With SMPSs reaching North of 90% efficiency, I don't see any problem here.... Just don't use that toaster on the same line at the same time.

Most of the specs sound very good, but the 12.5" wheel size would prevent me from backing the project in the first round. Although the power and torque, and perhaps electronics, can compensate to some extent, I would still want (wait for) a larger wheel.

As for price, I think much of it depends on delivery date. If you can deliver a superman wheel before next summer, your chances of success will obviously be much greater, as competition will need time to (appear to) catch up. I think there would be some buyers at up to 3-4k if you can deliver soon.

Also, I hope you can get a reputable site to review a prototype like arstechnica, although their piece on the Solowheel was underwhelming.

Good luck, we're rooting for you.

Charger math is simple:

Standard use case considered is the psychological block that keeps people form is discharging below 35% due to fear of running out of power (although you could go to 0% usable safely).  Therefore you can consider that a fast charge to 85% is only 55% of the batteries cap (1600wh - 55% = 880wh) in 30 minutes is totally believable)  1 hour from 0%-90% would also be reasonable.  The point is it will charge within a standard social setting or cup of coffee, therefore definitely real-world fast charge.

5 minutes ago, Austin Marhold said:
Any further vapor ware concerns? lol... go do this on any other device in the world and come back to complain about my impossible spec. ;)

Commercial vids are usually not particularly insightful to resolve disputes over design specifications and capabilities. This one is no exception, AFAICS. Just saying, I wasn't the one disputing the specs.

5 minutes ago, Austin Marhold said:

Therefore you can consider that a fast charge to 85% is only 55% of the batteries cap (1600wh - 55% = 880wh) in 30 minutes is totally believable

Then why not write from 30% to 85% to avoid misunderstandings? Many of us know that charge rates above 1C are problematic with common battery technology. Out of interest, what are the specs of the charger you are using with the wheel most of the time right now?

17 minutes ago, Austin Marhold said:

Any further vapor ware concerns? lol... go do this on any other device in the world and come back to complain about my impossible spec. ;)

Again, I'm hoping for your success because that means potentially another great wheel for me to ride. But I saw nothing in this video that made me go "Wow". I must be missing something :confused1:

Archived