Bad Accident on Onewheel+

Hey Barrett,

How's your brother doing? I just changed my profile pic to a bit of me riding the OneWheel but having said that... I actually ride the Ninebot more often because I've been able to trust it more than the OneWheel. I hope he's doing well though. I'm not a fan of "fighting through pushback" as people in the OneWheel group like to say. You're smart to ride it fairly slowly compared to other rides. Wish you and your brother the best.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Nice on both accounts!

think this is the first I've heard of OneWheel to EUC converts ???

LOL well watching my brother have a garden hose shoved into his ribs draining out pink slime puts a damper on things.   

Just a bit more info.  It seems the Delirium setting is the one causing the issues.   Everyone that has experienced a similar cutout was in the same mode.  Nobody reported feeling a tiltback before a crash that I have seen either.   

My feeling is they tried to push too hard for performance with that particular mode and ended up making the device unsafe in the process 

• Upvote 1

A bloody leader-board! Huh? If I ever heard of a stoopid idea, that's it.

Personally I ride with a jacket that has built in MC-class padding over the shoulders and elbows, and a d3o back insert. I also ride with a helmet, even if I just go to the store one block away. Wrist guards and knee-pads round it out, and makes sure I at least have a chance of walking away from a crash.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

A bloody leader-board! Huh? If I ever heard of a stoopid idea, that's it.

Personally I ride with a jacket that has built in MC-class padding over the shoulders and elbows, and a d3o back insert. I also ride with a helmet, even if I just go to the store one block away. Wrist guards and knee-pads round it out, and makes sure I at least have a chance of walking away from a crash.

Smart ... after my last accident (a comparatively minor distal radius fracture but painful and slow to heal) I am hopefully done with injuries ... I plan to protect to the max:motorcycle jacket (I have both summer and winter) wrist guards, knee pads and full face helmet.  

Just now, Chris Westland said:

Smart ... after my last accident (a comparatively minor distal radius fracture but painful and slow to heal) I am hopefully done with injuries ... I plan to protect to the max:motorcycle jacket (I have both summer and winter) wrist guards, knee pads and full face helmet.  

I chose the jacket to avoid "protection fatigue", that is making the procedure of getting the stuff on so complicated you basically say "f--- it, I'm just going to the store a block away anyways!"

The protection that works best, is the one you actually wear.

6 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I chose the jacket to avoid "protection fatigue", that is making the procedure of getting the stuff on so complicated you basically say "f--- it, I'm just going to the store a block away anyways!"

The protection that works best, is the one you actually wear.

This is one of the few complaints I have with the G-Form gear. Being a base layer it is a lot of work to kit up in.

30 minutes ago, Barrett Roberts said:

How hot is the jacket made for summer?   Where I am the humidity in summer months (which is most of the months) is savage.  

Then it is not ideal. This jacket is made for the Swedish climate. Anything above ~17°C, makes for a hot experience. It is a denim jacket, but backed by strong synthetics and mesh. The lining is removable, so it can be used in medium temperatures, while with the lining it is better when the temperature plunges.

There are jackets that are more summer friendly, but using something like the G-form stuff is probably even more comfortable, if not as easy to put on. Look up a MC-clothing store in Virginia, they should have stuff that are better for summer climates.

My guess is a kevlar jacket with pockets for the padding and an inner wicking mesh should do it.

Edited by Scatcat
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

This is one of the few complaints I have with the G-Form gear. Being a base layer it is a lot of work to kit up in.

Yeah, I get you. The G-Form stuff is really neat, but basic layers are not as handy as a jacket.

My procedure is left kneepad on, right kneepad on, left wrist-guard on, right wrist guard on, jacket on, helmet on, GO!

In a hurry that's less than a minute from shoes laced to wheel out the door.

It helps that the knee guards have speed attachments, sizing and all fixed. Just pop in the locks and done. Got them at a military surplus store. I wish I could do without the velcro on the flexmeters too, I hate velcro.

Edited by Scatcat
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Scatcat said:

Yeah, I get you. The G-Form stuff is really neat, but basic layers are not as handy as a jacket.

My procedure is left kneepad on, right kneepad on, left wrist-guard on, right wrist guard on, jacket on, helmet on, GO!

In a hurry that's less than a minute from shoes laced to wheel out the door.

Yeah. I'm at least 5 minutes to get out the door. Shirt, shorts, and knee pads (unless wearing shorts) require disrobing first. But it is discrete and quite cool in the FL heat so it is worth it. I still like them for their other properties.

9 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

It helps that the knee guards have speed attachments, sizing and all fixed. Just pop in the locks and done. Got them at a military surplus store.

That's interesting, do you have to take off your shoes first?  Were they military surplus, I don't remember seeing knee guards in US military surplus stores, will have to check that out.  I have Pro-Tec knee guards, but the shoes have to come off first, so I don't bother putting them on, just the elbow and wrist guards with the helmet.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

That's interesting, do you have to take off your shoes first?  Were they military surplus, I don't remember seeing knee guards in US military surplus stores, will have to check that out.  I have Pro-Tec knee guards, but the shoes have to come off first, so I don't bother putting them on, just the elbow and wrist guards with the helmet.

Mine have two elastic straps that you size, and then a pop on receptable that goes on a stud on the pad. You just put it on the knee pop the fastenings on the studs and you're done. So they're really rather simple, but the system works surprisingly well. They sit where they're supposed to, without skidding around and they have taken a couple of falls without any issues at all.

Edited by Scatcat
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Barrett Roberts said:

How hot is the jacket made for summer?   Where I am the humidity in summer months (which is most of the months) is savage.  

great to hear that your brother is doing good again!

i have bused this jacket and can recommend it even in hot conditions: 

Fox jacket / vest

its the german amazon but i guess they sell it in the states as well... its more like a vest and you are very well protected. the built quality is absolutely great and it's comfortable to wear. when it's cold out there you can easily put a jacket or hoodie over and you're fine. 

shoulders underarms breast and your back are perfectly protected.

give it a try....i'm 1.84m tall and my wheight is similar to your brother with 114 kg - i buyed it in xxl and when i lose 5more kg it will fit perfectly to my body. 

best, lukas 

20 hours ago, Barrett Roberts said:

It's pretty cool, but an unusual style ... I picked it up at a local store in Sugo, Japan when I was at Yamaha's Sportland race track.  Typically Japanese, everything is non-standard, with a mesh polyester holding the elbow, shoulder and back protector as integrated parts of the plastic.  The zipper pulls were terrible and broke apart after a few uses, so I purchased some replacements from Amazon that have served me well

http://mobike.westland-cpa.com/x.jpg

z.jpg

Edited by Chris Westland
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
On 8/26/2018 at 6:30 PM, MetricUSA said:

Do you think this would have helped? Instead of slamming into the surface, it's slid along...

Drivesafe

Yes, to me it makes perfectly sense for the OneWheel. I was already wondering why it wouldn't have small helper wheels build in anyways (but I guess it wouldn't be perceived as "cool").

Edited by Mono

Sonny Wheels is smart guy. Nice guy too. Sadly, Fangs and Divesafe are much maligned in the community. People who get these are mostly ridiculed. I don't get why though. You would think people would like to pull their Onewheel along instead of having to carry it everywhere like we do with our trolleys.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Bonjour, nouvel utilisateur de Onewheel XR, je commence à le prendre en main.
J'avais déjà utilisé une solowheel et utiliser le Onewheel ne prend que quelques minutes.
J'écris un message ici pour vous faire part de mon sentiment.

Je trouve la sensation du Onewheel fantastique mais lorsque je vois les vidéos des gens qui en font avec une protection minimale, casque pas toujours attaché, vouloir être dans le cool à tout prix, je trouve ça inconscient et débile. Il ne s'agit pas d'avoir peur de la vitesse mais d'être vraiment conscient du danger.
C'est extrêmement dangereux. Même à petite vitesse, on peut très mal tomber et il faut avouer que rouler tout doucement est moins facile et moins grisant..

Donc protection optimum !!!  dès le début et évidement même après l'avoir bien en main, l'accident peut survenir pour diverses raisons et pas nécessairement l'arrêt du moteur.
Les genoux, coudes, tête, mains et même une ceinture pour amortir le coup sur le dos. Idéalement se protéger les chevilles.
D'ailleurs, il est clairement indiqué sur le manuel que ça peut être mortel ..

Bref, personnellement, son utilisation rapide n'est pas pour moi qui ait maintenant 52 ans..
L'autre remarque, c'est que l'utilisation sur les chemins, tout ce qui accentue les vibrations, entraine des douleurs dans les chevilles.
Alors avant d'avaler des kilomètres en tout chemin, il faut une condition exceptionnelle et une bonne huile de massage à l'arnica à l'arrivée.
J'ai aussi bien protégé le tour de la planche avec de la mousse et du gaffer, ainsi elle ne sera pas complètement abimées lorsque j'aurais fini la période d'apprentissage.

Bon, ce qui est critiquable, c'est le challenge à la vitesse.. et puis l'incohérence de communication.
Onewheel présente des images excitantes d'utilisateurs sur la plage, da,s les chemins, mais indique bien dans son manuel que rouler sur le sable et les chemins de gravier endommage le moteur..

A part ça, bonne ballade !

IMG_7024.JPG

On 8/27/2018 at 9:39 PM, outcast00096 said:

Sonny Wheels is smart guy. Nice guy too. Sadly, Fangs and Divesafe are much maligned in the community. People who get these are mostly ridiculed. I don't get why though. You would think people would like to pull their Onewheel along instead of having to carry it everywhere like we do with our trolleys.

I agree, it's a cool double functionality.