Survey on Personal Electric Vehicles

jwalker

11 hours ago, Demargon said:

Hi @steve454, I had the same concerned about crashing someone when I ride my rollers since one day happened, a kid suddenly appears from a low visibility corner. I rise up the kid with my hands before stop together, that solve the situation because nobody get hurt and I learned one precious trick to save accidents: use yours hands 

That only works if you aren't speeding ?

I suspect that also only works, because you can open the space between your legs when riding rollers. I can't imagine doing this with an EUC. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not completely true @mono, you can do the T breaking of rollers with one foot in ground and other keeping the EUC away of the pedestrian (probably crashed in the floor or next wall due the EUC isn't attached to the body). Needs lot of practice for success but is really useful. I want to do a video with those tricks, maybe my next one. While you can watch this one for rollerblades 

3 hours ago, Demargon said:

That's not completely true @mono, you can do the T breaking of rollers with one foot in ground and other keeping the EUC away of the pedestrian (probably crashed in the floor or next wall due the EUC isn't attached to the body). Needs lot of practice for success but is really useful. I want to do a video with those tricks, maybe my next one. While you can watch this one for rollerblades 

Sure, you can brake on rollers. Then you can have the endless discussion whether braking or swerving is the better choice, as it is notoriously difficult to brake hard and change direction at the same time. I don't see how that can be different on an EUC. The third option, catching/picking up the obstacle as described above on rollers (that is, speeding up the obstacle to prevent a hard hit instead of speeding down oneself) isn't really a choice I can imagine we have on an EUC, and we don't have it on a bicycle either. 

Since I trek through a major university nearly everyday, I've witnessed maybe 20 or so bike versus pedestrian collisions over the past four years. In every case pedestrians come off worse, sometimes much worse. I think the rate of collisions is greatly increasing due to cell phones. 

If you ride a bike or EUC then I urge using the utmost care, and drive at a sensible speed especially when coming to pedestrian only intersections. Honestly, the only time pedestrians irritate me is when they walk four abreast taking up the entire sidewalk. Or give me high fives; I swerve away from those jokers. Never high 5 when you're on an EUC. 

I've seen some crazy things from pedestrians in my short time riding.  One of the worst is people who come bursting out of stores on sidewalks.  I've seen people exit doors at at a run and take three or four steps into the sidewalk before even registering the need to check whether there is pedestrian traffic.  Or people running around blind corners. 

What an eye-opener having a EUC has been regarding pedestrians and drivers, both. 

7 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

time pedestrians irritate me is when they walk four abreast taking up the entire sidewalk

yes. another reason i dislike humans. here in tampa and missouri is just as bad, two abreast with their 400 pound fat asses take up the grocery aisles, sidewalks etc. it’s like they’re the only fat ass couple on the planet.  when i’d go out with my gfs, we always walked single file with me blazing the way. most humans are just rude and stupid. never raised with manners. sad.

8 hours ago, Demargon said:

that’s how i did it. never had a brake.

5 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

I've seen some crazy things from pedestrians in my short time riding.  One of the worst is people who come bursting out of stores on sidewalks.  I've seen people exit doors at at a run and take three or four steps into the sidewalk before even registering the need to check whether there is pedestrian traffic.  Or people running around blind corners. 

What an eye-opener having a EUC has been regarding pedestrians and drivers, both. 

Do you know how to do a Rollerblade circle stop? It works with EUC of any size. Maybe not Monster but MSuper. 

Because you don't have to throw the wheel in front of you before braking, you can stop extremely quickly, from about 6 mph.

So the pedestrian steps out in front of you maybe 2-4 paces away. Put down a foot and circle around it. 

Interestingly I can only do this going left. 

11 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Do you know how to do a Rollerblade circle stop? It works with EUC of any size. Maybe not Monster but MSuper. 

Because you don't have to throw the wheel in front of you before braking, you can stop extremely quickly, from about 6 mph.

So the pedestrian steps out in front of you maybe 2-4 paces away. Put down a foot and circle around it. 

I need to learn how to do this.  Last night I had a car come to an intersection and overshoot the pedestrian walk lane (like always).  I thought, "I'll go around behind him," and then the driver decided to quickly reverse with the intention of opening up the pedestrian lane, which of course alarmed me and threw me off the wheel because I fixated on the car when it started moving unexpectedly.

I figure I'm going to become absurdly defensive in the coming months.  It's not worth the stress of reacting to every terrible driver/pedestrian.  Part of my mistake has been in giving them even the slightest bit of credit by assuming they're not actively trying to hit me. 

18 hours ago, LanghamP said:

You can't defy physics. In order to not continue moving forward the rider has to bring the wheel to the front either way. Other than hitting something moving the wheel to the front is AFAICS the only way to quickly decelerate the movement in the current direction, whether it is by braking or by turning.

3 hours ago, LanghamP said:

You must be righthanded, I can only do it going right.

17 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I feel the same. I think was because one surgery in my right knee, but probably is related to the dominant side we have. Is some like goofy and reverse for skaters 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/31/2017 at 1:11 PM, caelus said:

Would be also interesting to see, how many use it in combination with public transport (and therefore don't use the car) and how much time they save per month of commuting.

I know this is a fairly old post, but I'm definitely in that category.  Here in Utah, USA, Up until a week ago when I got my first EUC, I used a hoverboard.  I road it from my house to the commuter rail (FrontRunner) about 2.5 miles (4km). Then took that 35 miles (56km) to town. Which I then road the hoverboard about 1.5 miles (2.5km) to work or took the local transit train (TRAX).  Now that I have an EUC and have moved to town I use it solely as my only form of transportation unless I need to travel more than about 15 miles (24km).  I have NO car as an option.  It's entirely either Bus, local transit, commuter rail or walk, if I don't have my "toy" hoverboard or EUC.  Which, by the way, I don't think the EUC is a toy at all, but depending on how the hoverboard is used, it could be considered a toy, but I clearly used it as a tool.

Archived