Wrist Guards That Won't Break Your Arm

I bought some wrist guards finally, because I am a guitar player and I can't keep taking chances with my hands. So I purchased my wrist guards, typical standard ones and as soon as I tried the first trick they forced me on to my elbow instead. :facepalm: 

With basic stiff wrist guards you can cause a fracture further up the arm as well some finger injuries. I found these, they're $30.

$_57.JPG

I wanted these but they go up so high and most of all they are about $65. Fractures further up the arm are a real hazard with the typical style. So this could be the ticket. Not sure.

s-l400.jpgs-l400.jpg

This is the footage of me falling onto my elbow. :whistling:

59 minutes ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

I bought some wrist guards finally, because I am a guitar player and I can't keep taking chances with my hands

59 minutes ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

I bought some wrist guards finally, because I am a guitar player and I can't keep taking chances with my hands.

1 hour ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

I bought some wrist guards finally, because I am a guitar player and I can't keep taking chances with my hands.

2 hours ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

I bought some wrist guards finally, because I am a guitar player and I can't keep taking chances with my hands. So I purchased my wrist guards, typical standard ones and as soon as I tried the first trick they forced me on to my elbow instead. :facepalm: 

With basic stiff wrist guards you can cause a fracture further up the arm as well some finger injuries. I found these, they're $30.

I wanted these but they go up so high and most of all they are about $65. Fractures further up the arm are a real hazard with the typical style. So this could be the ticket. Not sure.

imho the main aspect for a wrist guard is to keep it from bending it too much under "load". Since by this and also by some of the stiffer models its possible to resist more force this has to be "taken" by the rest of the arm - so imho the next predetermined breaking point should be the shoulder/collarbone ;( ?

One way to assist the joints a bit is to train the muscels, the other way is to not catch the fall with the wrist but roll! Unfortionately it's a very basic and intuitive reflex (to put the hands anywhere one should not)... ;(

Imho a quite perfect example of how to roll off an unicycle was just posted by @EUC Extreme 

Maybe @Rehab1has some professional tips on how to best protect ones wrists/arms (beside stopping to ride EUC's :ph34r:)?

Isn't that the point? Rather your arm bones than your delicate hand and wrist bones? The impact energy has to go somewhere, arm is the stablest thing around, but if it's too much...

5 hours ago, Chriull said:

the other way is to not catch the fall with the wrist but roll!

Yep, good tip.

Maybe, for your kind of riding (slow speed tricks where you hit straight on and maybe can't roll that easily), it would be worth it to literally put an extra cushion on where you'd hit the ground (palm area).

13 hours ago, Chriull said:

Maybe @Rehab1has some professional tips on how to best protect ones wrists/arms (beside stopping to ride EUC's :ph34r:)?

Ugh...the only way you are going to further prevent a fracture of the radius or ulna with protect gear is to rigidly support the entire arm proximally up to the elbow and distally down to the wrist and palm. Unfortunately I am not aware of any off the shelf commercially available wrist guards that extend up that high.  If you really want to protect yourself and play Robocop at the same time the device below should work.;)

Best to just ride safe and be safe wearing proven protective gear that you are comfortable with.

cast

15 hours ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

This is the footage of me falling onto my elbow. :whistling:

Damn Reny!  Just watching your video I felt your impacts through my entire body! My KS is hiding somewhere in a corner! :cry2:

9 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Maybe, for your kind of riding (slow speed tricks where you hit straight on and maybe can't roll that easily), it would be worth it to literally put an extra cushion on where you'd hit the ground (palm area)

Yeah @meepmeepmayer, rolling is very rarely an option when doing what I do. I know it seems very cut and dry to some people but I have been wearing wrist guards pretty much since they were invented, so I have been through my fair share. Typically wrist guards are meant to be worn with cupped elbow pads, for the very reason I hit my elbow. I wore those years ago, when I rode on a ramps with 11ft transitions and 1 1/2 ft vertical. Or in some comps they made you wear them for street too. 

Many people don't quite get it I guess, they need to understand something about me and most skateboarders. The feeling is that pads make you fall, more, by giving you the "safety" option! Sounds psycho to some I am sure.:w00t2:That is also why I wear a clean white t-shirt when I ride, because it keeps me from falling (as much lol) If it gets dirty I am not on point and I will probably go home. No need to argue this point it is individual and most skaters would understand. This is why you very rarely (if ever) see street skaters padded up? :ph34r:

8 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

It's no use thinking this through too much. In the grind video, he could have smashed his teeth on the curb too if he was unlucky, wrist protection or no wrist protection.

It is experience @ir_fuel. I have been riding a skateboard my whole life, thats almost 30 years of training. I can assure you, you don't fall on your teeth typically, thats why we hurt our wrists and arms so much, because we have reflexes geared towards getting your hands under you before impact, faster than the average person. We typically hurt our heads by falling backwards faster than our arms can get behind us.  

BTW To all of you that ride over 35km and tell me I'm dangerous. Come on now thats silly. Lol

14 hours ago, Chriull said:

One way to assist the joints a bit is to train the muscels, the other way is to not catch the fall with the wrist but roll! Unfortionately it's a very basic and intuitive reflex (to put the hands anywhere one should not)... ;(

It is muscle memory @Chriull that prevents me from falling like most people (like a stubborn dog that don't wanna go on the leash) When you are moving forward you have momentum to get you in the roll otherwise rip your palms to shreds. When you fall from above it is the impact and not the hand killer palm scrape thing. Ouch. So some flex is best unless yer doin the stubborn dog thing.:( That's why all of your typical wrist guards have a plastic palm protector, so that you fall on your knee pads and your wrist guards and keep sliding to a stop.

I posted the video to show what it takes to be extremely creative and do things that haven't been done yet, something without a pre-mapped route. YOU WILL FALL (sometimes worse than others). That is the difference between some of us and most of us...is the ability to get back up. So, unless I can find a map of every obstacle I might come across in the future, I am gonna have to fall in a different way every time. Just like in life. :thumbup:

17 hours ago, Chriull said:

Imho a quite perfect example of how to roll off an unicycle was just posted by @EUC Extreme 

Whole different world folks. Id actually love to see that fall without shoulder pads, helmet with neck support, thick back plate and support, boots, knee, elbow and wrist/hands guards...and on cement. That was a dislocated shoulder or broken arm! So that is possibly the worst example of rolling out of a bail for the average rider, unless you are wearing a motocross suite and are riding on dirt. Lol.

Yo @ir_fuel...that fall was pretty lucky!

This is what is what.

9 hours ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

It is experience @ir_fuel. I have been riding a skateboard my whole life, thats almost 30 years of training. I can assure you, you don't fall on your teeth typically, thats why we hurt our wrists and arms so much, because we have reflexes geared towards getting your hands under you before impact, faster than the average person. We typically hurt our heads by falling backwards faster than our arms can get behind us.  

No need to tell me. Quite a lot of skateboarding experience under the belt too here (only street, no ramps when I was doing it. No skateparks where I lived in the nineties. They built them when I got out of it when I was at uni....). Never wore any protection when skating. 

Also had 2 permanently swollen hand palms from falling on them, and wore shin protectors for a while because at the end of summer I had 3 "bumps" on each lower leg from the side of the board ...

20 minutes ago, caelus said:

Wrist guards are extremely dangerous! Better just use simple gloves with some padding.

Not when you are 61 years old they ain't! The first time I face planted it took months and months for two sprained wrists to heal (and that is when you REALLY find out who your friends are ?). The scraped skin healed fairly quickly.

The next time I came off, with wrist guards, I just ended up with a bruised thigh, which didn't impact mobility even if it did take at least two weeks to heal - Oh and seriously scratched up wrist guards. Gloves, unless rigid (I.e. Like wrist guards) would not have prevented the sprained wrists. 

As for correctly falling. When I was learning and lost control of the wheel I was able to run off or roll successfully because I was forewarned it was going to happen or I bailed out. When I face planted, I had hit the ground before I'd even thought about reacting. I know at 61 years old my reactions ain't what they were but, when the wheel suddenly loses power or runs out of torque it happens really fast and your already trained instinctive reaction is still trying to control the wheel, I.e. Trying to lean back or forward. I.e. The instinct to bail out and fall safely doesn't kick in until you have already hit the ground. To train yourself to fall in that situation I think you would need to build a random time electronic off switch into your wheel and keep practicing it.

You have only got to look at @EUC Extreme's videos, even with his vast, indeed pretty much unique, experience of coming off an EUC at speed, when the wheel just suddenly lets go on him his dismount certainly does not look like an elegant body saving controlled roll - it looks more like a sack of potatoes being thrown - and I'm not in anyway being critical of him, I think what he does is brilliant ?.

5 hours ago, Keith said:

The next time I came off, with wrist guards, I just ended up with a bruised thigh,...

They can help. But in many cases they make things even worse. Main problem is that stiff rails restrict the wrist flexibility and thus migth force the lower arm into a bad angle. It migtht either break, you land on your ellbow, or you just faceplant.
That's why such gear is not used among professionals (motorcycling, longboarding, snowboarding, etc).
EUCextreme uses a special DIY adaption where fingers are protected and form a fist.

On 8/29/2017 at 10:26 PM, Sidestreet Reny said:

Whole different world folks. Id actually love to see that fall without shoulder pads, helmet with neck support, thick back plate and support, boots, knee, elbow and wrist/hands guards...and on cement. That was a dislocated shoulder or broken arm! So that is possibly the worst example of rolling out of a bail for the average rider, unless you are wearing a motocross suite and are riding on dirt. Lol.

Yo @ir_fuel...that fall was pretty lucky!

This is what is what.

The idea of rolling and not stiffening up is great advice, especially to protect the wrist and arms.  Unfortunately practicing these techniques on a EUC may pose a greater risk to the rider even when going slow.

Most EUC pedals are twice as high off the ground than a skateboard so the impact to the rider will be greater.

Consider the speed of a stable free falling  average sized adult ( you decide what is average).  Without any other kinematic principals factored in (ie: displacement, initial velocity and final velocity) you fall at the elapsed rate of 16 feet (4.87m) the first second traveling at 10 MPH (16 kph). If it takes you 2 seconds to fall (not sure why) you would have tripled your speed to 30 MPH ( 48kph) and traveled an elapsed distance of 62 feet (18.8m). 

36570923710_2e7546dbb4_b.jpg

Given this data if I were to practice this rolling technique off an EUC I would prefer to be as low to the ground as possible. To me the Luffy or Mten sound like good options.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Most EUC pedals are twice as high off the ground than a skateboard so the impact to the rider will be greater.

Deck resp. pedal hight plays an important role, agreed.

However, the decisive difference I see is that you are in a frontal position on an EUC while you are in a sideways stance on a longboard. And thus, have to turn your hips if you try to run off the board. That limits the save speed drastically. If you can run off an EUC at 20km/h safely, you will have difficulties to do that on a longboard at 15km/h. And when you try to brake you completely destroy your ride stability on a longboard. On a unicycle you hardly ever have to deal with any torsional force. And it is much easier to do a controlled roll from a frotal fall than from a torsional fall. Thus, from my experience (I own 6 skateboards/longboards and had several falls) EUC riding is by far safer/easier than longboarding.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

The idea of rolling and not stiffening up is great advice, especially to protect the wrist and arms.  Unfortunately practicing these techniques on a EUC may pose a greater risk to the rider even when going slow.

Consider the speed of a stable free falling  average sized adult ( you decide what is average).  Without any other kinematic principals factored in (ie: displacement, initial velocity and final velocity) you fall at the elapsed rate of 16 feet (4.87m) the first second traveling at 10 MPH (16 kph). If it takes you 2 seconds to fall (not sure why) you would have tripled your speed to 30 MPH ( 48kph) and traveled an elapsed distance of 62 feet (18.8m). 

Given this data if I were to practice this rolling technique off an EUC I would prefer to be as low to the ground as possible. To me the Luffy or Mten sound like good options.

I like this guys technique best. Nice setup and smooth roll at the end

Snapshots.jpg

16 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I like this guys technique best. Nice setup and smooth roll at the end

Snapshots.jpg

@steve454 why did you neg Marty? :laughbounce2: That was funny!!!!

Dang Marty I had to get my magnifying glass out.  Almost missed myself. Subtle ;)

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@steve454 why did you neg Marty? :laughbounce2: That was funny!!!!

Dang Marty I had to get my magnifying glass out.  Almost missed myself. Subtle ;)

I suspect it was too much of an inside joke for @steve454 :)

I didn't want it to be too easy to identify you in case you were embarrassed, but now that you've complained, I'll be sure to upload a much higher res version at the next opportune time :D

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I suspect it was too much of an inside joke for @steve454 :)

I didn't want it to be too easy to identify you in case you were embarrassed, but now that you've complained, I'll be sure to upload a much higher res version at the next opportune time :D

@steve454 Give Marty his rep back!

OMG  you know me well enough by Besides you have taken enough knocks from me. Time to knock Backe!:thumbup:

Wrist guards aren't only for protecting your wrist from breaking, they are also there to protect your hands/palms from getting grated in slower-speed falls on gravel etc., and for simple impact/bruise protection in non-world-ending crashes.

Also, at least these Demon Flexmeter thingies are apparently flexible enough to not keep your wrists in a wrong position? Isn't that their point?

44 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Wrist guards aren't only for protecting your wrist from breaking, they are also there to protect your hands/palms from getting grated in slower-speed falls on gravel etc., and for simple impact/bruise protection in non-world-ending crashes.

Also, at least these Demon Flexmeter thingies are apparently flexible enough to not keep your wrists in a wrong position? Isn't that their point?

Quite.

As stated earlier, they're designed by an orthopedist, with just the right flexibility in mind to not just transfer the breaking force from the wrist to the arm.

Archived