Forum dumping me on random page after login lately

See title. After logging in (entering username/password and pressing enter), occasionally the forum will load a random thread (or today's first, a member profile, for @Rehab1) instead of loading (= going back to) the start page (which I have bookmarked and from which I mostly log in). This started maybe a week ago or so. Usually it's a thread I've commented on (or at least remember), but not sure if that's always the case.

Not a big issue, but you might want to know:)

20 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

See title. After logging in (entering username/password and pressing enter), occasionally the forum will load a random thread (or today's first, a member profile, for @Rehab1) instead of loading (= going back to) the start page (which I have bookmarked and from which I mostly log in). This started maybe a week ago or so. Usually it's a thread I've commented on (or at least remember), but not sure if that's always the case.

I wonder if it's a browser issue. If you have the option, does it occur with different browsers/computers?

FWIW, I access the forum mostly on 3 different computers and a couple of tablets. I rarely actually login because I never logout. Are you using a public computer that requires you to login a lot?

I don't think it's a browser (only) issue. First of all, as far as I remember, it never happens when logging in from anywhere but the start page. Secondly, it never happened before and suddenly started, but maybe there was a browser update so who knows.

The behavior is consistent with some database error, where the forum retrieves the wrong id for something, and so you get sent to the wrong page. Not sure if browsers can even influence such a thing. Maybe a performance issue or other bug with the forum host (Invision)? Might be a good idea to ask/tell them.

For the record: latest Opera with Ghostery and Adblock Plus, Win 10, nothing otherwise special.

(I just do clear my browser cache often so I'm logging in and out basically every time.)

8 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I don't think it's a browser (only) issue. First of all, as far as I remember, it never happens when logging in from anywhere but the start page. Secondly, it never happened before and suddenly started, but maybe there was a browser update so who knows.

The behavior is consistent with some database error, where the forum retrieves the wrong id for something, and so you get sent to the wrong page. Not sure if browsers can even influence such a thing. Maybe a performance issue or other bug with the forum host (Invision)? Might be a good idea to ask/tell them.

For the record: latest Opera with Ghostery and Adblock Plus, Win 10, nothing otherwise special.

(I just do clear my browser cache often so I'm logging in and out basically every time.)

Sounds horrible. Are you a security freak ;) or just resource (memory, cpu cycles, etc.) limited?

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Perhaps our tech expert @esaj can say something about it...

I have no clue :-(

Not a big thing, just thought you guys might want to know about happenings like this.

Here's my guess, from above post:

10 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

:)

• 2 weeks later...
On 29.8.2017 at 2:55 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

Could you post the actual, raw URL you use to connect to the forum? That might help to analyze your browser's behavior.

Might be my mouse, it sometimes clicks twice when pressing the button, so a second click might immediately load something before the main page is rendered under the right circumstances.

It's not a problem or anything, just if someone recognized this as a known issue, I thought it would be helpful information.

Archived